Topic ClosedNeal Morse Testimony 2 - Seattle May 27, 2011

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Neal Morse Testimony 2 - Seattle May 27, 2011
    Posted: May 28 2011 at 21:20
Neal Morse and his 8pc band gave Seattle a brilliant prog rock performance last night (Friday May 27th, 2011), they performed at the Experience Music Project (EMP) Level 3 room. I would say about 250 fans filled the venue to make a wonderful intimate experience. The sound was spot on, I had concern that the band was gonna be "too big" for the small venue, but that did not happen at all. I did not feel that any musician was drowned out by another or the venue itself.
The setlist was spectacular, same he has been playing the previous shows, except for Virginia which did not get one song, due to travel time.

Lifeline
Leviathan
The Separated Man
The Door
Seeds of Gold
Overture No3/Rejoice/Oh Lord My God/God's Theme

Intermission:

Testimony 2 (entire album)

Encore:
Sing It High
Reunion
(Total show time was just under 3.5 hours)

Neal sounded better than ever, his vocals were as passionate as I have ever heard him sing, especially on The Separated Man. Getting to hear Leviathan was a great treat, such a power rock song. His keyboard and guitar playing were excellent, he is truely a talented musician.
Randy George is a beast on the bass guitar, a formidable presence on stage for sure. Eric and Nathan Brenton are amazing father/son duo on guitars, cello and violin. Nathan totally nailed the guitar parts on Its For You.

It was a great pleasure to see Mike Portnoy again on stage behind the drum kit. He absolutely played like a man completely inspired by Neal's music. He hit every drum fill spot on, all his hi-hat, cymbal playing was incredible, the stacks just add so much flavor to Neal's music, it works so well. I have to say, Mike looked incredibly happy and very content in what he was doing. I just think Mike enjoys working with Neal and even on the DVD-Making of T2, Mike seems very happy. In this small venue setting, Mike interacted with the crowd almost the whole time.

Song wise, everything was great. Testimony 2 plays very well live, highlights were Mercy Street, Overture No4, the emotional Jayda, Time Changer, The Truth Will Set You Free.
But for me the ultimate highlight was Seeds of Gold. Absolutely brilliant, brilliant song!!!!!!!! This song is now my fav Neal Morse epic...25 minutes of sheer excellence.

Neal was gracious enough to stick around and sign CDs, his book and take pictures with those that hung around after the show. I was able to get everyone's signature except for Mike as he did not come back after the show, I don't blame him, with this setlist he had to have been beyond exhausted. Although my wife was able to get a stick from him.

This show was powerful, inspiring, emotional with songs that dug deep and could tug at your heart, but at the core this show was a prog masterpiece for sure!
Hopefully for those cities that did not get his show, once he comes back from Europe, he will embark on another North American tour, if he does I would highly suggest you try to make his show.
My wife and I were front row, sitting right in front of Randy George......She got some excellent pictures, here are a few..Enjoy.

Edited by Catcher10 - May 30 2011 at 11:38
kjprogger View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2011 at 16:43
I was at the Los Angeles show the following night.  I would concur with most everything Catcher 10 said in his review.  Mike adds so much to Neal's music and you could tell that Mike really did enjoy the show.  The "?" CD is one of my favorites and this is the second time in a row that I have seen Neal play where he left that CD out of the setlist completely.  I could have done without the 1st two songs from Lifeline and replaced them with more Sola Scriptura or some "?."   But really that is quibbling.  It was a great concert and, yes, the Testimony 2 material was great in concert.  I told Neal after the show that it isn't often when I go to a concert wanting to hear "the new stuff,"  but this was definitely one of those.  For those of you in Europe who are thinking about seeing this Prog mastermind, it should be a no-brainer:  YES!!!!!!  JA!!!!!   OUI!!!!!!   SI!!!!!!  DA!!!!!!! 
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2011 at 11:15
Excellent review Catcher10 - seems like a great gig.

Good photos too (nice to see Mike Portnoy's decided he doesn't need a huge kit to play well)

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2011 at 16:06
^ Thanks......it was a great show. Its funny, the last picture of Mike above my wife took, Mike has actually taken that shot and is using it as his Facebook profile. He took it off another guys Facebook page, who took it off a review I posted on Neal Morse's forum. The guy was from Brazil who travelled here to Seattle to see Neal perform. he explained to Mike in a post that he took the photo from my review....he claimed no credit for the picture.

My wife was flattered. Its pretty cool.
Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2011 at 16:31
It ASTOUNDS me how long these guys play. Their set lists are a HUGE thank you to fans.

Awesome post!!!

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2011 at 16:44
Very good review Catcher!  Great pics too.  I was at the LA show also and I will go as far to say without Portnoy and George I don't think this would have worked as well.  Mike just seems to be able to fit into anything.  4th time I have seen and all of them were not Dream Theater shows and he is maybe the most versatile drummers I have experienced.  

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2011 at 18:31
^ I agree Brian.....I would like to see Mike do some more work with O.S.I.....and hopefully more Transatlantic.
Thanks
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2011 at 00:29
^What I am really interested in now is the MMPLM gig.  I asked both Neal and Mike were there going to be any live shows with this lineup and was told they don't know but they both want it. I think it will depend on Steve Morse Deep Purple's Schedule I am sure.   Mike did say it will sound different than anything you can imagine and I said with this lineup I really can't imagine what it will sound like but I am sure i will like it.  

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2011 at 12:02
^ That would be very cool to see/hear live!!! I'll have to keep my eyes open for that possibility...
Anthony H. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2011 at 10:04
I saw him in Virginia, and it was indeed a great show. He managed to create such a huge sound with only a few musicians on stage.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2011 at 11:54
^ A few musicians....... Did you not get the 8pc band version??
Anthony H. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2011 at 16:40
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

^ A few musicians....... Did you not get the 8pc band version??

Yeah, but that's still not that many, considering he made it sound like a full orchestra.
 Post Reply Post Reply