Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Official 'review our music' forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedColin Masson New Album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2011 at 12:25
The words of South Australia are from a traditional sea shanty, probably from the late 18th/early 19th century, I sent a leaflet with info about the concept to those that asked for CD's, and it's also on the website, but for those that are interested I'll put a copy of it here too!Big smile

About the Southern Cross

This album requires some explanation.  It is at the same time brand new,  and yet
the material is mostly from 20 years ago.  Famous rock musicians, especially of
advancing years, very often get accused of recycling and rehashing their old
material.  I however am in the fortunate position of being relatively unknown, and
so is my back catalogue.  When I originally recorded this, it was on to a four track 
cassette portastudio, which in the mid 1980s  was the best that an amateur
musician could aspire to. Recording studios were by and large beyond what I
could afford.  Therefore I made do with what I had.  It was a great way of getting
down ideas very quickly, but unfortunately the quality of the recordings  generally
did not live up to what was required for a professional release.
These days, everybody can have a multi track in their bedroom courtesy of the
humble computer,  and as  I have a back catalogue going back many years, some
of which I think still stands the test of time material wise,  I am now in a position
to release some of this old stuff.
So here for your  delectation and enlightenment is a rundown of what this album
is about.
The Morrigan (which is the band that I play in), was formed in the second half of
1984.  I was not the original guitarist, being a replacement for Tom Foad.  This was
the time when I first met Cathy Alexander (the singer and multi instrumentalist) who became my long-term partner.  At the time we
were both living in Basingstoke and I had never been further west than Burton Bradstock in Dorset.  Cathy suggested on one of our
early holidays, that we should go and visit the North coast of Cornwall.  I was completely blown away by the rugged Cornish coast
and having recently joined the Morrigan, was having my first real encounter with folk music at the same time as finding my feet as a
guitarist.  I was also very keen to incorporate all the things that were happening around me into my music.  This is the background to
the songs on this album.
The Concept
I think the Southern Cross is guilty of being a concept album, the concept
quite typical of someone in the first flush of youth.  I had the rather
melancholy idea of two ships separated by a thousand years in time, both of
which came to a sticky end.  Side one would be taken up with the
adventures of the original Southern Cross, some time in the 18th century 
(Perhaps a little like the journeys of Captain Cook, but in a strange
alternative universe).  The second ship was a starship that had an
unfortunate encounter with a black hole.
This idea rattled around in my head about a year and during this time most
of the material here was written.  It has to be said that I do have an
unfortunate habit of straying off the original subject and so by the end of it
the concept is only fairly loosely adhered to.  But this is how it all began.
The Tracks
Here is a list of the tracks and some interesting information about each.
Never Come Back
This began life as an attempt at a traditional song. I was in very much into the guitar playing of Martin Carthy at this time, and so you
find detuned acoustic guitars and a somewhat Humpty Dumpty style of playing, along with a call and response vocal style
reminiscent of sea shanties.  The four track version is a bit cringeworthy these days, but the track had a considerable re-work when I
recorded it this time, including a much more sinister chorus, which seems to have brought it back from the brink.
Sails of Silver
This remains largely unchanged from the four track version. The two electric guitar breaks were originally played on a keyboard, with
the tape turned down to half speed which enabled me to do a fair imitation of Rick Wakeman (which of course was cheating
horrendously). In the intervening years  my playing on the keyboard has improved somewhat (though I am not a good keyboard
player). However for the new version I thought it would be interesting to see if I could reproduce the keyboard lines on the guitar note
for note, and that is what I have managed to achieve.  The bulk of the track is an acoustic instrumental, in which I am happy to admit I
was considerably influenced by the playing of Gordon Giltrap.  I still perform this as a party piece at folk clubs on occasion.
South Australia
This track is named after a sea shanty which was later recorded by the Morrigan on the Hidden Agenda album.  It is not however the
same song, it uses a fraction of the traditional lyrics but unlike the Morrigan version is entirely original in the composition of the tune
and the arrangement  (In fact it predates the Morrigan version by some years).  It was one of my earliest attempts at an orchestral
arrangement.  At the time the only keyboard to which I had access was Cathy's  Juno 6 synthesiser, which I believe was one of the
earliest polyphonic synthesisers on the market.  There were no sequencers in those days, other than the primitive step sequencers used
by the likes of Tangerine Dream, so it all had to be laboriously multitracked.  By the time I used the Juno it had been through the wars
a bit, but although some of the woodwork was missing it worked perfectly.  As there was no multitimbrality in those days, I had to lay
up the tracks on the four track, three tracks at a time, then bounce them onto the fourth track, then start again with two tracks at a
time, bouncing them onto the third track, and so on.  Musically the track came out really well but from a technical point of view it
sounded like it was recorded in porridge.  On the current version It got up to 46 tracks in Cubase,  also these days the keyboard I use is
a Triton Extreme (things have moved on a bit).
The Wreckers
Those of you who know the Morrigan's back catalogue will recognize this track, as it first appeared on the Wreckers album.  In fact it
was originally written for the Southern Cross.  So please forgive me for doing it again.  The Morrigan version was done in a recording
studio but the whole episode was  really rushed and the end result did not see the song at it's best (it was a long time favourite in the
Morrigan's live set).  As a result I do'nt feel too bad about doing it again, and this version finally does the track some justice.  I must
say a heartfelt thank you to Cathy for singing it again after all these years.  Initially she was quite reluctant but in the end I persuaded
her; she completely rearranged the vocals and I think she is also happy with the final result.  We won't be doing this one again!
Compass Rose
A short guitar instrumental. The original inspiration to this was a combination of listening to Jeff Beck and getting a Boss distortion
pedal and feedbacker as a birthday present.  In the original version, the feedback came out of a little box.  Now I have a Roland GT5
multi effects unit, which I couldn't have dreamt of affording in those days  but which I picked up three years ago on eBay for £150 and
which I adore.  It also has a feedbacker, but this time I went into a padded room and turned the guitar up, which was much more fun. 
(Many thanks to my employers at the school where I work).
Interlude with Moon Cycles
This is simply a reminder to those people too young to remember glorious vinyl, that this is in fact  the start of side 2 of the record, and
the story of the second ship.  Moon cycles is the name of the patch on the Triton.
Cathy played that while I grumbled. It is mercifully short.
The Heart of the Machine
The idea behind the lyrics of the song come from the fact that a lot of exploration was carried out by people escaping from oppressive
regimes. At the time of the recording we were living not very far from Stonehenge, and the year before had seen the 'Battle of the
Beanfield'.  It is generally considered that the police used excessive force on this occasion.  And it did indeed feel very strange and
intimidating to be walking through the countryside and finding policemen everywhere. 
On a technical note, I cordially dislike the kind of drum sounds used during the 80's but I remember that we had recently bought our
first digital reverb around about this time and of course, with any new piece of kit you end up mucking about with it.  On the opening
section there is the typical 80's snare drum sound.  But this time it was produced by climbing up a chimney (quite large) and hitting a
TDK cassette box (empty) with a spoon.  Afterwards putting the whole thing through said reverb.  Now the original four track tape is
still with me, and I was able to isolate one of those drum hits and so it appears here 20 years later sounding as horrible as ever, but I
had to put it in for old time's sake.  The original version of this track made much more use of the original funk line, but somehow this
time it ended up sounding like ZZ Top, (such is life).
Ocean of storms
This is the only track that is completely new, largely because the original version was utter rubbish.  The only similarities between the
two is the title, and that they both attempt a Berlin school type of electronic sound (I'm a big fan of Tangerine Dream's early work).  I
also have Cathy to thank for some excellent vocals on this track.  They were done on the same day as we finished the Wreckers vocals,
but where on the previous track we had spent many hours honing everything to perfection, this time we went down the pub and then
when we came back she sat and did the whole thing in a single take.  I then did a bit of editing, and it was finished in about two hours. 
(Mind you I did spend a while doing the sequences in the first place).  Another note of interest is that the Triton has a vast library of
sounds (over 4000) and when I recorded this track I was able to stick to using patches of instruments exclusively from the 70's,
including electric piano, mellotron, Solina string machine, clavinet, and some sawtooth waveforms that would have not been out of
place on a Moog synthesiser.  In fact pretty much the same as German bands of that era would have used.
The Southern Cross
This is the most interesting track from a technical standpoint. The original echoplex guitar part that opens the piece is something  I
wrote as far back as my days in the Gestalt, a band I played in many many years ago.  The four track recording that I did of this has
remained in good condition and I used it as a technical exercise in learning how to clean up material from tape on a computer.  As a
result large parts of the original recording still remain here. This includes almost all the bass, the first keyboard solo (once more done
at half speed on the four track tape machine), the short piece of vocal, and several of the guitar solos.  By a combination of careful
editing and timestretch, I was able to fit the old parts to new accompaniments.  It was an interesting technical exercise.  I rerecorded
this track originally about two years ago, so it was already done at the time that I did the rest of this album.
So there it is, the story of the Southern Cross.  If anybody mentions Pirates of the Caribbean I would like to point out that I did it first!

Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2011 at 15:41
The Liner notes were really cool to read - such a cool story behind the album!
Colin Masson View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2011 at 18:04
Originally posted by Andyman1125 Andyman1125 wrote:

The Liner notes were really cool to read - such a cool story behind the album!

It was a roller coaster of a time, when I wrote the stuff. it had to go on the back burner  because everything was focused on the Morrigan, which at the time was the right thing to do. But it is fantastic that it is now possible for people of relatively modest means to produce professional albums.
       For the record "The Southern Cross" and the "Mad Monk and the Mountain" were both recorded in a (small) bedroom, whereas "Isle of Eight", and all the Morrigan albums after "Wreckers", were done in a garage high up on the Wiltshire downs.
toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2011 at 10:27

Been listening to your album today and would humbly suggest you surprises your wife with a nice breakfast in bed. Add a nice card and write "For The Wreckers".

Review to follow when I feel ready. 

Colin Masson View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2011 at 11:49
I always bring her breakfast in bed!Tongue (or at least a cup of coffee).
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2011 at 12:19
Hey Colin, finally got around to Putting up the review for the album. I included some history based on things I've read here, in liner notes and your interview. Let me know if I got any of it wrong and I shall correct it.
J-Man View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2012 at 19:58
....and my review is live! http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=606407

More good stuff Colin, keep up the awesome work! Thumbs Up

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123