Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMetal: good! Prog Metal: Blagh!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Poll Question: Wha do u like?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
8 [13.11%]
15 [24.59%]
28 [45.90%]
10 [16.39%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 01:49
Prog Metal is the one I really care about.
This night wounds time.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 03:34
I like some artists classified as progressive metal, but I generally find that scene to have a worse signal-to-noise ratio than straight-up progressive rock or metal. A lot of prog metal groups just feel like outsider approximations of one of their parent genres, and when listening to band like Edge of Sanity or especially Opeth I just don't find their song structures anywhere as well put together as the 70s prog rock groups they're influenced by.

On the other hand, there are groups like Voivod who manage to take that kind of "outside perspective" on their inspirations and actually make it work to their favour. I'm not sure how they manage to pull it off, but somehow they do. Maybe it's because Voivod have a more "deconstructionist" approach to music composition than those other two groups, and coming from more of an eccentric punk background in the vein of Killing Joke and Die Kreuzen they're outsiders to both metal and prog?

Then again, by the token of the premise I threw out earlier that'd mean they'd screw up even worse.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345