Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - "Audience cheering" and horn sound on Sgt. Pepper
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed"Audience cheering" and horn sound on Sgt. Pepper

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Audience cheering" and horn sound on Sgt. Pepper
    Posted: July 14 2011 at 07:22
Audience cheering in a cartoonish way, handclaps and four French horns on the title track. Other brass and woodwinds instruments on other tracks. Were those sound effects (especially the cheering and whistling) a brand new technology? Did they sound fresh and exciting? The horn sound probably didn't because they had existed since the renaissance era I believe. But the audience interaction sound FX still sound quite fun and fresh to my ears now.

Or maybe I'm missing the true highlight of Sgt. Pepper's sonic exploration. Do tell me what they are.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2011 at 08:26
As far as I know the "audience" is just the Beatles and the other musicians warming up. I don't see that cheering and whistling would have been new technology even in 1967. More innovative was the tape loop and high frequency dog noise on the outgoing groove.
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2011 at 09:32
Early use of brass is found in the music of The Shadows (Guitar Tango), Beach Boys (In The Back Of My Mind; Let Him Run Wild; California Girl; The Little Girl I Once Knew; Pet Sounds), Mother Of Invention and Beatles (For No One). If you like this can be traced back to Stan Kenton (Pet Sounds very Stan Kenton like).

Woodwind was also introduced by The Beatles (You've Got To Hide Your Love Away) and The Beach Boys (Let Him Run Wild, California Girls, Summer Means Love) in popular music.

The Moody Blues were the first real masters in the combined use of brass and woodwind I believe.

A good starting point for the origin of sound effects is probably "Yellow Submarine" which initiated the whole UK psyche era IMO.

Edited by earlyprog - July 14 2011 at 10:18
himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2011 at 12:17
There is undoubtably UK psyche pre Yellow Submarine that is more heavily psychedelic than it as well.  Though maybe you just meant popularization of...
Which of you to gain me, tell, will risk uncertain pains of hell?
I will not forgive you if you will not take the chance.
jean-marie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2011 at 11:50
If i remember well the fab four used many sounds and noises from the Abbey Road archives '(as did the Floyd later ) 
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2011 at 13:13
Originally posted by jean-marie jean-marie wrote:

If i remember well the fab four used many sounds and noises from the Abbey Road archives '(as did the Floyd later ) 

Indeed, the fairground organ sounds on Mr Kite spring to mind.
N-sz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2011 at 02:28
Yeah I wondered sometimes if the non-musical effects going with the music was a new thing then, and if the Beatles had been the first to do that with songs like Sgt. Pepper and Hey Bulldog.
I had been told a while ago that Pink Floyd were one of the first to do that sort of thing as well, so I can't think of anyone earlier than the Beatles to do that.

I really like that sort of thing sometimes. Sometimes when it's just background sound, it can be really cliche, but done really well, and it can give a song a really exciting theatrical feel.
 Post Reply Post Reply