Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMarillion on Spanish TV!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marillion on Spanish TV!!!!!
    Posted: July 01 2005 at 14:52

It took a year (my- a year) but, finally, Marillion achieven thier minute and a half of glory at Spanish tv prime-time in Canal Plus.

A small piece was shown in the tv programme "La Hora Wiki" detailing their successful internet campaign for the album "Marbles". But it took so long to achieve that. One year.

It was a year ago that I interviewed Mark and H during their concert in Madrid. It was great: they were warm, didn't matter how long the interview took, stayed under the abrassive Madrid sun for so long. It was wonderful getting to know them. At one point, I told Mark my sister was flying almos 1000 km from nothern Spain just to see them. He told me: "Is she in Madrid now?". "I think the plane just landed" I replied. "Well, tell her to hurry here!". Thus, my sister and her boyfriend got to meet the band. It was a wonderful feeling followed by an amazing concert.

But then, I had to get that interview on air, and thus all my troubles begun.

At first, I tried "La Hora Wiki" (I edited tons of pieces there) but the programme director at the time, said that the record company could have to pay in order to get the band on air. Then I tried with other network: Localia (I edited all their promotions for four years) but they declined. Also, there was a prospect of a "trends" magazine on Telecinco, but that programme never happened.

I was decided to give up, but then, a friend of mine was becoming a powerhouse inside "La Hora Wiki", given his staus as one of the most important names in the Spanish electro scene. He said "Do you want that intervfiew inside the programme? Let me sell it to them". In the end, it happend. I polished it to make it look really cool and tokk pride in people's reaction towards the piece: "Do Marillion sound like that? Feels great".

Well, if you want to see the interview, here´s the link to the tv programme website:

http://www.plus.es/codigo/television/lahorawiki/seccion.asp? id=409765

Tell me what you think.

In the end: everything is possible. Even getting Marillion on tv.

"Your sperm's in the gutter/ Your love's in the sink"
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2005 at 15:22

unfortunatly the interview is in spannish, so I have no idea what their tokking about

No tengo idea

a shame, but still

I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
Paco Fox View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2005 at 14:09
Bravo, Peringo!!!. I'm not a Marillion fan, but it was weird watching a prog group being introduced by those terrible, illiterate, anorexic, sh*t music lovers, drug-addicts hosts.

And... err... I work next to them. It's not Spain is a small country... it's that I happen to know Peringo2, AKA El Puto.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2005 at 14:39
Originally posted by tuxon tuxon wrote:

No tengo idea

Yeah i ain't got a clue either.

Edited by Man With Hat
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Carakhallo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2005 at 04:43
I saw that interview on TV and they introduced Marillion this way: "... don't be mistaken, they are a band that haven't invented anything new". And that's completely TRUE. They dindn't say anything about Marillion being a prog band. Then they showed the band playing a piece of one of their new songs...and I understood everything.... It was just POP.
peringo2 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2005 at 06:47

The introduction stinked. Of course they were aware of who Marillion were and they had that crappy way of saying "sorry" to the dumbest part of their audience.

There were three sections of music from their latest album "Marbles": "You Are Gone" (the single that had to be there, after all it peaked to number three) and the more adventurous ones: "Drilling Holes" and "The Damage" Of course, I understand there's a sector of prog classicists (Carakhallo must be one of them) who do not want this music to "progress" but, musically and imaginatevely speaking, "Marbles" BLASTS OFF ANYTHING DONE WITHIN THE REALMS OF "PROG" FOR A LONG, LONG, TIME. Please, do yourself a favour and enjoy tracks like "Drilling Holes", "The Invisible Man" or "Neverland" to enjoy this huge band at his most honest and emotional peak ("The Invisible Man" lasts 15 minutes and "Ocean Cloud" 19 minutes, if you are still using that abnormal criteria - or demand out-of-date instruments - to qualify a song as "good prog").

Funny thing: during the interview, a guy from a prog magazine was giving Pete Trewavas a really hard time just by focusing, question after question, in the album's faithfullness to the true essences of Prog. "I don't car if it is prog or not, just listen to it without thinking that music HAS to be a certain way, and then decide if you enjoy it or not". Agree with Pete. We need bands like Marillion, who push the envelope, instead of dreadful, unimaginative revivalists like the awful Flower King or the "two-albums-being-a-parody-of-ourselves" King Crimson.

Hogarth rules.

Love and rock sinfónico.

"Your sperm's in the gutter/ Your love's in the sink"
 Post Reply Post Reply