Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLou Reed / Metallica - Lulu

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2011 at 18:10
Originally posted by The Truth The Truth wrote:

Alright, glad we got that clear.

I don't like being called narrow-minded at all, if I came across as a bit of an ass, I apologize. LOL

It's all good; it just came off as if anyone that didn't enjoy the album was a narrow-minded nitwit, which of course would be unfair.
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2011 at 22:30
Truth, I think your review is the first time I've ever hear the phrase "ceaselessly dissing" LOL

I plan on listening to this sometime, and I really have no idea what to expect.

Edited by Eärendil - November 06 2011 at 22:30
Anthony H. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2011 at 22:30
"The View" is absolutely wretched, but I can't speak for the rest of the album. I can't say that I'm interested in listening to the whole thing, though.
Warthur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2011 at 08:30
Lulu is trash - it's not a good Metallica album, it's not a good Lou Reed album, and it's a failure as a mashup.

Conceptually it's just a lousy retread of Berlin with more scatological lyrics and a metal backing track. I'd rather just listen to Berlin again if it's all the same to Lou.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2011 at 18:09
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

Surprised to see there's no thread yet on the Lou Reed and Metallica collaboration Lulu. ...

Not gonna see it either. One is not progressive and the other is not progressive. And the NY scene is not progressive and will never be considered such, because London is! ... got it?

That said, I have to admit that it will be a curious listen for me, which I bet my compadres here will trash me for senselessly ... even though I am not a Metalica fan at all. Over rated band and then some! But I like Lou Reed's spirit and his way of speaking out, and if he can do what he sees with this band, it should be interesting.

Remenber that Lou is no stranger to hard metal rock bands, as in NY these have been a dime a dozen for 40 years, so seeing this happen is not that much a surprise ... as it might be for rock fans that have no idea what the NY scene has created over the years and some of the more artistic and off the wall bands and artists. And NY, regardless of what PA says, is one of the most progressive places there is in the world for all arts, and a parallel to London. Only a blind man, can not see this. And one that can't hear the music, either!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2011 at 18:19
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

^I wasn´t really expecting him to change courseLOL

I´m going to stream Lulu tonight, and as a warm up I´m listening to Rock n´ Roll Animal. Maybe the best live album ever!!! One of those desert island albums for sure.

I love that album also, btw ... and still have it!

But listen to it today ... and again ... and notice that Lou's "singing" in that album is ... not really singing, and he is really being the beat poet that he is. I wonder if he does the same thing in the album with Metalica, which I bet he does, and this might be the part that Metalica fans may not like ... no teen angst? ... wow ... what happened to Metalica! But it tells you that most fans are not kind to the very musicians and their desire to do different things and learn new things. That part is bad ... really bad, and fans have no right to tell a band who they should be.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2011 at 18:28
I'm looking forward to their next collaboration with Laurie Anderson. Tongue
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2011 at 09:59
This one's going to be interesting - I'm a Lou Reed completist, he's from my hometown....grew up a few blocks down the road from where he's from.  I even dug the new age record he put out a few years ago....I even dug Rock n Roll Heart!  At the same time, I've always hated the whole Metallica big sound scene.  It's going to be like those old Reese's peanut butter cups commericals for both parties - Hey, you put Lou in my Metallica!  No, you put Metallica into my Lou!

I'm overwhelmed with new music right now.....plus, I'm just not ready for it.  I'll wait until copies start flooding into my used record shop to pick up a copy.
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
charles_ryder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2014 at 10:44
Metallica is a great band, and Lou Reed too. But Lulu is terrible for me. This is neither music nor poetry. This is rubbish. Imo.
om mani padme hum
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2014 at 15:10
I like Reed for the most part but the combination of the two sounds a bit ridiculous to me.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123