Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Tribute Bands and Prog Radio
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRock Art! Radio Show

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rock Art! Radio Show
    Posted: February 22 2012 at 10:58
I've been doing my prog rock show for about a month now called Rock Art!, on KZMU  (community radio station in Moab Utah) Anyone with a computer/internet and media player can listen online at KZMU.org. I am on for 2-3 hours every Sunday night from 9-11 (or 12) PM Mountain Standard Time.

I'm very happy that the station lets me play pretty much whatever I want, so I've been playing a lot of epics or longer sets that don't normally get played on the radio.

I have a tying theme for each show. So far the themes have been:

Recurrence and Renewal (Jan 22)
Top-Rated Prog. Albums (Jan 29)
Best of Progressive Folk Music (Feb 5)
Greek Mythology and Biblical (Feb 12)
Money, Political Corruption and War (Feb 19)

You can see the playlists for each date/theme on my show page at:

http://www.kzmu.org/ShowProfile.cfm?id=123

I should be on through mid-March (3 or 4 more shows). Next Sunday's theme will probably be "Mystic Rhythms" for which I'll playing spiritually oriented or trance-like tracks.

other future themes will likely include:

Dreams and Lunacy
Best Neo-Prog
Environment and Animals
Orchestral/ Amazing instrumentals
Just for Fun
Teen Angst
Best Jazz/Rock Fusion
Chess (I'll be doing this one on a Saturday--possibly March 3 7-9 PM, hopefully including an interview with the current Utah chess champion).

Most of the music I have is from well-know prog artists. If anyone knows of artists/tracks from less-well known artists that might fit well with the above themes, please let me know, and maybe where I can listen to samples.

Thanks,

Edited by zwordser - February 22 2012 at 10:59
Z
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2012 at 10:56
Two more Rock Art! shows. This coming Sunday night's theme will be subconsciousness: Dreams and Lunacy (9-11 MST). It's amazing how many prog rock songs about the moon and madness and dreams there are!

March 18, I'll probably have an hour of Neo-prog and then play a bunch of the best tracks that I wanted to play on air but didn't get around to playing on other shows, (so far including Yes, Close to the Edge; Rush, the Camera Eye, and Transatlantic, Duel With the Devil).

KZMU.org is the station.

Edited by zwordser - March 09 2012 at 11:00
Z
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2014 at 15:30
OK, After 2 years, I'll be back on the Air again at KZMU.org (comunity radio station in Moab Utah).

I no longer have my "Rock Art" show, but I will be filling in for a show called "Tune in, Turn On Drop Out" (normally hosted by Daniel Suelo: The man who lives without money). Same time/day as before, starting tomorrow night: Sunday (Feb 23) 9:00 PM Mountain Time. I'll probably stay on-air til around midnight.

The theme for the evening will be "The Second Golden Age of Progressive Rock" and I'll be highlighting newer prog bands--starting probably with Big Big Train, Haken (and 70's bands that influenced them) and see where I go from there--possibly some Galahad. I'm thinking this show will be something like a "Part I" because there's so much other music I want to get out there.

Its easy to tune in if you have windows, or another media player: just go to the website and hit the "listen" button.

I'm also hoping to fill in for a couple more shows through March.
Z
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2015 at 15:39

A Rock Art Revival!  
I know this is short notice, but a time slot has opened up again for me to fill at KZMU.org, so I'll be on the air tonight (April 19, 2015) from 9:00 to 11:00 PM (Mountain Time) and perhaps some after 11. Tonight's themes will be:
9:00 to 10:00 PM     THE DANCE
10:00 to 11:00 PM   Most likely:  A TRIP TO THE STARS
  Alternatively:  GREAT PROG PIANO INTROS
Most (not all) of the music I'll be playing to fit these themes is Prog Rock!
I will also likely be on the air for at least the next couple of Sunday nights (April 26 and May 3, 2015). I'll post show themes in the near future.
Anyone interested in hearing the program(s) can go to KZMU.org and hit the "Listen" link at the top of the page.

Z
 Post Reply Post Reply