FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRecommendations for Specific In-Ear Headphones

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recommendations for Specific In-Ear Headphones
    Posted: April 25 2012 at 06:58
I know there's been a multitude of topics of headphones/earphones, I've read through a bunch of them. However, I'm looking for a specific style of in-ear headphones so wondered if anyone had specific recommendations.

For the past 5/6 years I've used these:

I enjoy the shape much more than more widely seen:

These just seem to slowly pop out of my ear and it's a real pain in the ass to keep prodding them back in.

Now the ones I like are the Sony MDR-ED21LP Groove Shaped Earpiece range, around £26. They also seem to have, in a selection of colours the Sony MDR-ED21LP Fashionable In-Ear Headphones, which look like this:

They are priced around £10. The thing I love about the more expensive MDR's is that, for the price, I feel they have exceptional sound quality.

The £10 price tag on the above makes me suspect I may be sacrificing quality by opting for them.

My question is, does any know of any other in-ear buds that have the same shape for the in-ear portion of the headphones that:

a) Are at a reasonable price
b) Give a quality of sound the aptly provides bass so as not to sound tinny and awful

Many thanks
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2012 at 07:33
I would really advise you to go up the quality chain and try out some first class earphones, the difference is huge and if you are using earphones a lot (like me) it is worth the investment. I would say really good earphones starts at about 100$, but if you can't invest, i remember reading some favorable reviews on Sennheiser's cx300-II, which i ordered for my mom just three days ago, it cost me about 25$. When it will get here i can tell you how they are if you are interested.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2012 at 09:49
I have the Sony model in first pic and they came recommended by Consumer Reports.  I have a pair of so called noise reduction headphones like the second pic. They didn't seem to do much for noise but my wife liked the feel and is using them.  I'm not totally happy with the first Sony ones pictured but the bass is the best of any I've tried so far. 

How much better do the MDRs sound bass-wise, if you can quantify it?
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Kilgannon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2012 at 12:11
Any other similar price, perhaps even somewhat more price-wise, in-ear headphones haven't held anywhere near the sound quality of them as far as I've experienced.

Which is why I'm thinking the cheap ones will possibly be sufficient, but still the price just makes me a little unsure.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2014 at 08:29
Update i was looking for a replacement for my old set and found the MDR-ED12LPs, which have a similar in the ear style.  They are out of production but still available new online...

Seem to have a slightly looser fit but the bass is still good Big smile 

On a side note, I'd rather gouge my ears out than listen to good music on a crappy set of earbuds...

The effect is about the same

Edited by Slartibartfast - October 11 2014 at 08:33
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2014 at 08:36
My Klipsch in-ear headphones recently crapped out, so I'm looking for a replacement.  Willing to spend $100+, but nothing too extravagant.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 23:53
IEM's serve a good purpose for noise cancelation/isolation and good bass extension.

The SHURE 846 E's are expensive, but a more affordable good buy are the MONSTER Turbine's.

Happy listening.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 08:41
lol @ $1000 for earbuds.  But thanks for the recs.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 10:32
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

I would really advise you to go up the quality chain and try out some first class earphones, the difference is huge and if you are using earphones a lot (like me) it is worth the investment. I would say really good earphones starts at about 100$, but if you can't invest, i remember reading some favorable reviews on Sennheiser's cx300-II, which i ordered for my mom just three days ago, it cost me about 25$. When it will get here i can tell you how they are if you are interested.

Sennheisers are always recommendable imo. Never heard a bad pair + even the cheap ones sound fantastic compared to the competition.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 10:44
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

My Klipsch in-ear headphones recently crapped out, so I'm looking for a replacement.  Willing to spend $100+, but nothing too extravagant.

I can heartily recommend the Momentum ones that cost 99. You get a crystal clear sound with those. I've got a mate who swears by them, and he was so nice to loan me them for half a dayBig smile. Been meaning to a pair myself, but I don't want to throw away my cheap ass yellow Sony ones. They still sound remarkably good.

Edited by Guldbamsen - October 16 2014 at 10:58
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 11:16
Klipsch have never done me wrong. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 17:31
Been using these for the past 3yrs and love them.....Fantastic low end and resolution.

Monster Turbine Pro-Gold IEM

Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2014 at 14:38
Anyone ever try RHA MA750?
Gaillion1 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 14:36
I got Tinnitus a little over a year ago and without question wearing In Ear Headphones contributed to this condition.  If at all possible I would recommened outer ear phones.......the ringing from Tinnitus once you get it never goes away and never stops.....its really tough to live with but, onward and upward right?  I use SHURE SRH840's when in the stdio and live (yeah, I look a little funny but I don't want the ringing to get worse).  Be well. - JVV 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 14:53
Originally posted by Gaillion1 Gaillion1 wrote:

I got Tinnitus a little over a year ago and without question wearing In Ear Headphones contributed to this condition.  If at all possible I would recommened outer ear phones.......the ringing from Tinnitus once you get it never goes away and never stops.....its really tough to live with but, onward and upward right?  I use SHURE SRH840's when in the stdio and live (yeah, I look a little funny but I don't want the ringing to get worse).  Be well. - JVV 

Good point......When I was younger I used to have those big cans by like Koss and listened at loud levels. But they probably were leaking most of the sound out so I never got the full assault. Today's headphones are much much better and closed cans will hurt your ears as well as IEM.

I keep the volume level pretty low now a days......I only blast music in my home system.
Gaillion1 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 14:59
KOSS cans....so well said!  I try not to blast as well.....but damn....sometimes in the car I just can't resist!!
 Post Reply Post Reply