Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Beach Boys

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2018 at 23:12
Also, Pet Sounds is one of those albums that is said concept albums. When Beatles is on Prog Archives, I also think Beach Boys should. But it seems these days hard to get there even prog artists (has there earlier been much more liberality in decisionmaking than now), so I don´t believe they will get there.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2018 at 23:24
I absolutely love Pet Sounds 
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2018 at 05:17
I grew up on The Beach Boys from a very young age (4, 5 etc....) and loved their craft. Still have the ‘Pickwick’ vinyls of Surfer Girl (still adore Your Summer Dream) and Little Deuce Coupe (Don’t Back Down is a KILLER song). Have a few others that I don’t revisit often enough, but they are deeply embedded in my DNA, regardless of any R.I.O. or Extreme Metal phases I go through .
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2018 at 21:23
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Check out the Bonzo Dog Band's "Mr Apollo" for further variations on this topic Smile

As for the Beach Boys, I've tried off and on to get into their music, but for the most part I just feel like it's missing something, "balls" I suppose.  (beach balls?)

I recently got the new "SMiLE" 2 disc set in an effort to dive into the deep end.  It's quite impressive, but I don't find myself going back to it very often, not yet anyway.

"Pet Sounds"  is undeniably a landmark album in terms of studio creativity, but most of the songs just don't do much for me. "Wouldn't It Be Nice" is lovely though.

The "Surf's Up" song you posted in the OP is one of the best songs I've heard by them - I'd never heard it prior to getting the SMiLE set.

I recently bought the "Endless Summer" best-of album, just because I thought it'd be nice to have those old hits, and my daughter would like it.  It's fun, but some of those songs are really a bit lightweight for my tastes.

This was my post 6 years ago. I’m happy to say that I’m a fan now. The early 70s album “Holland” is my personal favorite, and I’ve really taken a liking to Carl and Dennis’s work.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
ReactioninG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReactioninG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2018 at 19:01
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

.... I’m happy to say that I’m a fan now. The early 70s album “Holland” is my personal favorite, and I’ve really taken a liking to Carl and Dennis’s work.

Holland is often overlooked... a real gem. They still had pretty serious aspirations to be a "modern" band up until the 1974 success with their best of collection Endless Summer, which spawned 15 Big Ones and laid the grounds for other "oldies" type albums in the future, and certainly their marketing and tours. Wild Honey, 20/20, Sunflower, Surf's Up, Carl and the Passions and Holland were all solid attempts at staying relevant, even if they had to do largely without Brian Wilson's genius. Carl Wilson wrote some great tracks.... The Trader from Holland has made me cry...

Pacific Ocean Blue by Dennis Wilson is a masterpiece, it's a shame he died and wasn't able to complete the Bambu album.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2018 at 06:08
I also really like the album Surf's Up!
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12