Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedReasons why Phish are a true prog band

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 10:38
My wife's cousin was a GIGANTIC Phish fan....even named his black lab Fee. He and his girlfriend would travel everywhere to see Phish. He was one of those guys that recorded all the shows he went to with a DAT machine and mini mics stuffed in his cap.
Never did he call them prog or proggy, he simply called them a jam band very much like the Dead....He said they were the Dead of the 2000's.

That's how I always saw Phish......Long jams always harken to prog rock long jams. Now I can stretch my thinking and agree they could have influence from the Softs, KC, Zappa and the like. If we are simply talking a label Dead then I would probably go with prog, that being said then so is the Grateful Dead.

My wife's cousin loved their music and that was enough for him......Me personally I would not label them prog in my collection......Fusion Rock or Rock Fusion, something like that in my collection.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 14:15
Phish is definitely prog! He fronted Marillion back in the eighties and has maintained a prog...what? Not that same Fish? Ah, never mind then.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 14:48
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Phish is definitely prog! He fronted Marillion back in the eighties and has maintained a prog...what? Not that same Fish? Ah, never mind then.

LOL

Can't say I ever cared for Phish.....always thought they were a bit boring musically. And was never really impressed with Anastasio's guitar plating.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2015 at 01:56
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Can't say I ever cared for Phish.....always thought they were a bit boring musically. And was never really impressed with Anastasio's guitar plating.
It can be doodl-y at times. Rift has some fancy work that's pretty impressive if you're looking for more complex stuff.

Edited by aglasshouse - June 03 2016 at 00:56
http://fryingpanmedia.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123