FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCheesy Prog is....??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2016 at 11:01
This is a very cheesy re-make of a particularly cheesy rock video by Styx, featuring a very cheesy song...American comedian Jimmy Fallon went on a real week-long bender about this song, p-ew! 

Edited by cstack3 - May 12 2016 at 23:35
klaatuarethebeatles View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2016 at 13:48
I love cheesy prog, there's nothing quite like it. I understand it's most likely an acquired taste. If you want an example of really good cheesy prog the band Stargazing in 35mm writes some pretty decent cheesy prog.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2016 at 13:59
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

This is a very cheesy re-make of a particularly cheesy rock video by Styx, featuring a very cheesy song...American comedian Jimmy Fallon went on a real week-long bender about this song, p-ew! 

< ="cosymantecnisbfw" co="cs" id="SILOBFWID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;">
"...and if you say Jimmy Fallon is funny, I'll know you're lying." - Homer Simpson

Edited by Rednight - May 12 2016 at 13:59
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2016 at 15:29
I know I'm going to catch some flack for this but I have always thought Supertramp were cheesy from time to time....especially Breakfast In America.  And some 10CC songs struck me as cheesy......especially I'm Not In Love.  But then I'm probably misreading the whole 'cheesy thing'.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
klaatuarethebeatles View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2016 at 16:01
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I know I'm going to catch some flack for this but I have always thought Supertramp were cheesy from time to time....especially Breakfast In America.  And some 10CC songs struck me as cheesy......especially I'm Not In Love.  But then I'm probably misreading the whole 'cheesy thing'.

10cc can definitely be extremely cheesy, but usually it's on purpose.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2016 at 16:13

That Supertramp title track has always seemed cheesy to me. But 10cc's 'Not in Love? No way. It's a classic that Stewart and Gouldman once said they could never find success in attempting to duplicate it. And the multi-tracked vocals are (dare I say) delicious.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2016 at 21:48

Actually, that's a good catch!  Supertramp certainly has some cringe-worthy moments on vinyl!  

Edited by cstack3 - May 12 2016 at 23:34
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2016 at 13:07
Rock videos naturally lend itself to a cheese factor, and by that, the 80s reflect that. Haken's latest release is said by the band to have been inspired by 80's prog and certainly their latest video for the rather upbeat Earthrise reflects that:

In particular, Ross Jenning's performance as when he's holding up 1 finger for "1 step backward" and 2 fingers for "2 steps forward."

That along with the mention of Supertramp brings to mind Roger Hodgson's video for Had a Dream (Sleeping with the Enemy), which I hadn't watched in over 25 years. There's an almost literal "naked in the eye of the storm," face paint, cheesy special effects, and some emotive finger pointing and hand gesturing (see around 4:40 mark).

aattiic View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2016 at 13:24
Glass Hammer is cheesy, but it can be good. Their vocals really amp up the cheese.
"There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free."
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2016 at 16:46
Originally posted by aattiic aattiic wrote:

Glass Hammer is cheesy, but it can be good. Their vocals really amp up the cheese.

I agree, and I'm a friend of the band!  

GH vocalist Jon Davison jumped over to Yes, and has helped deliver the cheese to their latest work.  His stage presence is embarrassing in a very cheesy way - overdone hand gestures, gazing to the heavens etc.  

Someone I know once compared his stagecraft to the acting in the musical "Godspell!"  Ouch!  

Poor Yes....their prior vocalist, Benoit David, also spread the cheese deep onstage with his twirling, annoying stage presence!!  

I might go to see Yes if I were given a free ticket, but that is about it for me.
  < ="cosymantecnisbfw" co="cs" id="SILOBFWID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;">
twalsh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2016 at 19:00
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

[QUOTE=aattiic]

GH vocalist Jon Davison jumped over to Yes, and has helped deliver the cheese to their latest work.  His stage presence is embarrassing in a very cheesy way - overdone hand gestures, gazing to the heavens etc.  

I saw Yes with Davison doing vocals a couple of years ago.  Thanks for putting a name to a stage presence that felt odd, silly and lacking gravity.   The best I could do at the time was to call his performance 'ill fitting' in an undefined way.   I'd seen Jon Anderson performing some of the same pieces solo a couple years prior.  They were not near as exciting without a full band but his performance felt appropriate and authentic.
More heavy prog, please!
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2016 at 02:04
Given my druthers I'd rather listen to cheesy prog then the bitter arsenic of a prog band with no compositional skills.  emotional prog is prone to Cheesiness.  Thus, neo prog and optimistic bands like Styx and  Moon Safari. 

Edited by omphaloskepsis - May 26 2016 at 02:07
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910