Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Favorite flower kings albums from best to worst?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite flower kings albums from best to worst?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lmaorofllollmao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite flower kings albums from best to worst?
    Posted: August 02 2012 at 21:43
I've noticed the band "The Flower Kings" and have been wishing to get into them, but i'm not sure what albums to start out with? 
EATTTT YOUURRR BEEEEEETTTSSSSS!!!!!

CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2012 at 22:50
Most people would tell you to start with Unfold the Future, which is (rightfully so) considered by many their best album. However, it is a quite long double album and it took me some years to chew on that and I am still finding things I haven't listened/realized before on it. Other albums, on the other hand, are considered one-dimensional, like Flower Power and Stardust We Are (even though the latter is considered by me as high as Unfold the Future; both are double features as well as Unfold), wile others are true mixed bags (The Rainmaker and Adam and Eve), but some still regard them highly.

There are other album, however, which are both great and reasonably "short" and are also excellent in every way, which are the ones I would suggest you to get at first, being those Back in the World of Adventures, Space Revolver, The Sum of No Evil and their latest (Banks of Eden), even though I don't like the latter very much.

My personal list of favorites is as follows:

1 - Stardust we Are, The Sum of no Evil and Unfold the Future
4 - Space Revolver
5 - Back in the World of 
6 - Paradox Hotel
7 - Space Revolver
8 - Flower Power
9 - Banks of Eden
10 - The Rainmaker
11 - Adam and Eve
12 - Retropolis
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirror Image Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2012 at 22:59
Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

Most people would tell you to start with Unfold the Future, which is (rightfully so) considered by many their best album. However, it is a quite long double album and it took me some years to chew on that and I am still finding things I haven't listened/realized before on it. Other albums, on the other hand, are considered one-dimensional, like Flower Power and Stardust We Are (even though the latter is considered by me as high as Unfold the Future; both are double features as well as Unfold), wile others are true mixed bags (The Rainmaker and Adam and Eve), but some still regard them highly.

There are other album, however, which are both great and reasonably "short" and are also excellent in every way, which are the ones I would suggest you to get at first, being those Back in the World of Adventures, Space Revolver, The Sum of No Evil and their latest (Banks of Eden), even though I don't like the latter very much.

4 - Space Revolver
5 - Back in the World of 
6 - Paradox Hotel
7 - Space Revolver
8 - Flower Power
9 - Banks of Eden
10 - The Rainmaker
11 - Adam and Eve
12 - Retropolis

Surprised to see Retropolis is your least favorite. I thought it was simply marvelous. Songs like Judas Kiss, Flora Majora, and the title track are pure ear candy.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2012 at 23:28
Banks of Eden
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2012 at 23:44
Banks of Eden might be a good one to start with. It's the new one, but it's relatively short, and is one of their best. Otherwise, I'd say Space Revolver; then maybe get one of the double albums like Unfold the Future (best TFK album btw).
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2012 at 23:52
I just want to put my opinion out there and won't respond to others in order to avoid drama, but Banks isn't NEARLY as good as most of their past albums. just let the hype cool down and you'll see.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirror Image Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2012 at 23:58

I just want to put my opinion out there and won't respond to others in order to avoid drama, but Banks isn't NEARLY as good as most of their past albums. just let the hype cool down and you'll see.

Yeah, I know...I mean really how could it top RetropolisWink
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Ytse_Jam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ytse_Jam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2012 at 09:04
I would recommend you to start listening to them chronologically, as I did. In my opinion, their best albums are their first ones, with a more symphonic vein.
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2012 at 09:09
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

Yeah, I know...I mean really how could it top RetropolisWink

LOL Handshake
Biff Tannen View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biff Tannen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2012 at 22:55
I disagree that many consider Unfold the Future their best album.  It is their 4th highest ranked album here, and I don't think any one TFK album is considered by many or most to be their best.  I'll go with the following: 

1. Flower Power
2. Paradox Hotel
3. Stardust We Are
4. Space Revolver
5. Retropolis
6. Banks of Eden
7. Unfold the Future 
8. Adam and Eve 
9. Back in the World of Adventures
10. The Rainmaker
11. The Sum of No Evil
"What are you looking at, butthead?"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirror Image Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2012 at 22:59
Originally posted by Ytse_Jam Ytse_Jam wrote:

I would recommend you to start listening to them chronologically, as I did. In my opinion, their best albums are their first ones, with a more symphonic vein.

I don't know about that. Banks of Eden is a damn fine album. I liked every song and I even liked the songs included on the bonus CD. Awesome stuff.

Edited by Mirror Image - August 07 2012 at 23:00
Progkast View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progkast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2018 at 22:30
Originally posted by lmaorofllollmao lmaorofllollmao wrote:

I've noticed the band "The Flower Kings" and have been wishing to get into them, but i'm not sure what albums to start out with? 

So, I'm curious, which one(s) did you go with, and how does your list go so far?
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2018 at 00:20
Used to be a fan then just got bored as they seemed to be just churning stuff out.

Anyway these are probably worth checking out to start
1) Banks Of Eden (their best by a long chalk imo)
2) Unfold the Future 
3) Stardust We Are

or just get the 2 compilation albums that were recently released

RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoeDent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2018 at 03:06
I'd probably recommend Space Revolver as a good first album. Or, if you feel like going in for the long haul, Stardust We Are. Flower Power is good, but it starts with a (fantastic) 59-minute song, and by the time you're finished with it, there's still a good 80 minutes of music left. Maybe each disc can be listened to in a separate sitting, because it's quite exhausting to go through all of it in one go.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2018 at 15:52
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Used to be a fan then just got bored as they seemed to be just churning stuff out.

Anyway these are probably worth checking out to start
1) Banks Of Eden (their best by a long chalk imo)
2) Unfold the Future 
3) Stardust We Are

or just get the 2 compilation albums that were recently released

Yeah....I agree...for me after a while they kept redoing the same music over and over....not bad but too much like the earlier things often. I like the first 7....stopped buying them but Eden is a good album.
I still like Back In The W orld of Adventures the most..the first one technically under Flower Kings.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2018 at 12:24
I love The Flower Kings.
And I love lists!!!

This is how I see (hear) it:

1. Stardust We Are
2. The Sum Of No Evil
3. Space Revolver
4. Banks Of Eden
5. Flower Power
6. Unfold The Future
7. Desolation Rose
8. Back In The World Of Adventures
9. The Rainmaker
10. Paradox Hotel
11. Adam & Eve
12. Retropolis
13. The Flower King (yes, this counts!)

Edited by miamiscot - July 10 2018 at 12:24
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2018 at 13:50
The Flower King at #13? IMO it's like one of the best.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2018 at 11:49

4 - Space Revolver
5 - Back in the World of 
6 - Paradox Hotel
7 - Space Revolver
8 - Flower Power
9 - Banks of Eden
10 - The Rainmaker
11 - Adam and Eve
12 - Retropolis

You have Space Revolver in there twice. I actually would have just left it at number four. It's definitely not a lesser album than Paradox Hotel imo. I agree with much of your list though especially the first four or five. For the newbie I would steer clear of the following albums until they really get into the band: Adam and Eve, Rainmaker, Paradox Hote and Desolation Rose. Those aren't bad just not as good as the other TFK albums. Admittedly I need to revisit and rebuy some of their earlier albums.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2018 at 11:59
Originally posted by Progkast Progkast wrote:

Originally posted by lmaorofllollmao lmaorofllollmao wrote:

So, I'm curious, which one(s) did you go with, and how does your list go so far?

lmaorofllollmao hasn't logged-in in over five years at this site, so I wouldn't expect that an answer is forthcoming, but you never know, perhaps could have received an email notification and would therefore opt to respond. I do wish more people who ask for recommendations and start topics would follow-up on them -- people put effort into their responses. I actually don't think there's much point in bumping old threads with posters long gone while asking such questions of them.

Edited by Logan - July 13 2018 at 12:11
 Post Reply Post Reply