Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLove for Tales from Topographic Oceans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 131415
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2016 at 14:29
Originally posted by Devoncir Devoncir wrote:

Originally posted by Son.of.Tiresias Son.of.Tiresias wrote:

^^
The solo guitar of To Be Over is one of the reasons I'm big fan of Howe. One of the best solos of prog. If you want fusion, listen to fusion, Yes is not Fusion. Relayer is not fusion. 
Relayer is the Opposite of fusion, itīs hermetic. There's barelly place for fusion in Yes, and specially in Relayer. Relayer is not free form, but structured hermetic compositions.
I like fusion sometimes, but itīs like "listen to my improvising: forty minutes of something I could do for 7 days without stopping" - itīs like smelling the musician farts.

"One of best solos in Prog ?" - Is that a fact. I cannot take you seriously for now on.
"... opposite of fusion, itīs hermetic". Your words not mine. Fact nevertheless. Of course it is because they tried fusion and failed. Hermetic sure in Howeīs soloing to be exact, for those who like those kind of stuff. But absolutely nothing to do with Prog. The hardest and the most difficult part of Prog is fusion. Thatīs why very very few can do it. 
All instrumental parts and most singing on relayer is combination of farts. Here I gladly kinda quote you because you said it better than I.  LMAO

Except the Soon section which is the one truly beautiful and thus progressive part on that bizarre album. The only thing I never ever will care about. Because of Jon Andersonīs incredibly beautiful and harmonic voice that is unique, he saved this mess from total disaster.

Next time you listen to your fusion, think: if they could improvise for 7 days without stopping, why the hell have they cut or recorded only forty minutes? itīs because itīs exaclty THE forty minutes they were farting while playing. That was their joke. Letīs play for 7 days and cut only the pieces when we were farting.
In the other hand Yes recorded something they HAD composed, because they are composers. 

Ah, so they were just enjoying themselves by throwing instruments/voices/studio effects to each other because they couldnīt create anything reasonable. That makes sense, their joke. Even so, I personally cannot imagine musicians that caliber putting rehearsals in a serious studio record. No musician is that stupid even if they thought it was a great idea. Rubbish. And it really sounds awful/distorted mostly. But if those arrogant Englishmen had let Monsieur Moraz bring much more material/playing it certainly would had been much more interesting musically. Poor Patrick, always got discriminated in the bands he was a fulltime member. No wonder he left or was he told ? Only one directionless album in two years time ?! Tells nothing but very serious problems as an unit. Chris Squire is the best musician there (as always) but engineer Offord nearly manages to hide him in the mix. I wonder what did he took this time (grin).
For the very first time in Yesī history an album sounds unpleasant to my senses. That album is waste of talent. And studio time and vinyl.

Itīs a dud.

As for jazz/rock/fusion I know a hell of a lot. I donīt need guidance, especially from a Yes fan (grin).

Edited by Son.of.Tiresias - October 19 2016 at 14:33
You may see a smile on Tony Banksī face but thatīs unlikely.
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2016 at 22:18
^ Man, you've gotta calm down about RelayerLOL

If you want to take a dump on directionless, discordant, abrasive music, Relayer doesn't even scratch the surface of the tip of the iceberg. 

And anyway, this is a Tales appreciation thread; you can take your complaints elsewhere if you're so inclined to share them. 
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2016 at 03:53
OT: First time I heard Gates of Delirium was when I dropped the needle on my freshly purchased vinyl copy of Relayer (things were like that in the eighties). Then immediately ran back to the record deck because my first thought when the vocals cut in was "sh*t, I'm playing this at 45 rpm!"

I came to appreciate it more later, despite the terrible production.

Edited by Mascodagama - October 20 2016 at 03:54
Son.of.Tiresias View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2016 at 06:47
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

If you want to take a dump on directionless, discordant, abrasive music, Relayer doesn't even scratch the surface of the tip of the iceberg. 

And anyway, this is a Tales appreciation thread; you can take your complaints elsewhere if you're so inclined to share them. 

Easy now, sit you down Smile

Firstly, I never asked your guidance so you can keep your relayers. Actually Iīm very disappointed at you, thought you have a sophisticated taste as an "eclectic" progger but apparently cannot differentiate noise from melody in that particular "album". Anyway ... 

Interesting actually, now I know much more of you. You have a problem when someone has a very different view of this subject (or any other subject Iīd suppose) as you. Frankly, Iīm not interested in your problem(s). In Prog namely that "album" is the underwater part of the iceberg, for me personally. You see, people have different opinions also in this thread, like it or not. To me the anti-thesis of Oceans. Sound chaser is the culmination, the lowest point in Yesī entire career (well I donīt count albums outside Anderson/Sguire participation, to be exact). Thatīs why I say it LOUD. Because of MY LOVE to Oceans. And anti-thesis of Prog Rock as well. I have heard a hell of a lot of crap during the decades but that nails it. LOL Well, sh*t happens they say.

Except the wonderful Soon section. Actually Iīm not even crushing the damn record, lol. 
Sure there was a time when I just wanted to throw it out of the window, I admit Tongue 

And hell, I am a huge Yes fan, like it or not or believe or not. But I ainīt nobodyīs fool, not even Andersonīs who happens to be one of my heroes, not only as musician but also as a human being.

In our culture we have this freedom of speech, I dunno yours. Nothing personal from my part, in the end of the day. But seems to me that truth always hurts certain people. Well, your choice. And time to move on. 

And whatīs funny... My love for Tales may be stronger than yourīs Smile 

Tell us more of your wonderful stories about Oceans.

Edited by Son.of.Tiresias - October 20 2016 at 10:01
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2016 at 07:01
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

OT: First time I heard Gates of Delirium was when I dropped the needle on my freshly purchased vinyl copy of Relayer (things were like that in the eighties). Then immediately ran back to the record deck because my first thought when the vocals cut in was "sh*t, I'm playing this at 45 rpm!"

I came to appreciate it more later, despite the terrible production.

Very funny I understand your feelings.... Hmm.... Wait a minute... Brilliant ! gotta try 45RPM ...

LMAO

Edited by Son.of.Tiresias - October 20 2016 at 09:34
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2016 at 10:59

Firstly, I never asked your guidance so you can keep your relayers. Actually Iīm very disappointed at you, thought you have a sophisticated taste as an "eclectic" progger but apparently cannot differentiate noise from melody in that particular "album". Anyway ... 

Interesting actually, now I know much more of you. You have a problem when someone has a very different view of this subject (or any other subject Iīd suppose) as you. Frankly, Iīm not interested in your problem(s). In Prog namely that "album" is the underwater part of the iceberg, for me personally. You see, people have different opinions also in this thread, like it or not. To me the anti-thesis of Oceans. Sound chaser is the culmination, the lowest point in Yesī entire career (well I donīt count albums outside Anderson/Sguire participation, to be exact). Thatīs why I say it LOUD. Because of MY LOVE to Oceans. And anti-thesis of Prog Rock as well. I have heard a hell of a lot of crap during the decades but that nails it. LOL Well, sh*t happens they say.

Except the wonderful Soon section. Actually Iīm not even crushing the damn record, lol. 
Sure there was a time when I just wanted to throw it out of the window, I admit Tongue 

And hell, I am a huge Yes fan, like it or not or believe or not. But I ainīt nobodyīs fool, not even Andersonīs who happens to be one of my heroes, not only as musician but also as a human being.

In our culture we have this freedom of speech, I dunno yours. Nothing personal from my part, in the end of the day. But seems to me that truth always hurts certain people. Well, your choice. And time to move on. 

I'm not saying that you have to like Relayer. I can totally understand why you don't like it. The production's pretty rough, I'll admit, and it certainly took me a while to come to like it as much as I do. Maybe I'm crazy for liking it, who knows. Your opinion is yours, mine is mine, and there's nothing one of us can say that will make the other think otherwise, so why argue? Smile

You have a right to share your opinions, but all I'm saying is why focus on so much negativity? Why constantly remind us about what you hate, and what you think is wrong, and why everyone else must be wrong? That doesn't seem like a very Jon Anderson-like thing to do. If you want to vent about Relayer, feel free, but go share it in the unpopular opinions thread, or the overrated prog songs thread. But this is the Tales appreciation thread, so let's talk Tales. Let's focus on the positives, let's talk about what makes great music great!

Getting over wars we do not mean
Or so it seems so clearly
Sheltered with our passion
Clearly to be home

As for my own "Tales" on Oceans, I've been thinking quite a bit more about the album over the past few days, and I'll be glad to share my new thoughts once I have them all together in writing. Let's make amends, no? Hug
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2016 at 04:57

I'm not saying that you have to like Relayer. I can totally understand why you don't like it. The production's pretty rough, I'll admit, and it certainly took me a while to come to like it as much as I do. Maybe I'm crazy for liking it, who knows. Your opinion is yours, mine is mine, and there's nothing one of us can say that will make the other think otherwise, so why argue? Smile

You have a right to share your opinions, but all I'm saying is why focus on so much negativity? Why constantly remind us about what you hate, and what you think is wrong, and why everyone else must be wrong? That doesn't seem like a very Jon Anderson-like thing to do. If you want to vent about Relayer, feel free, but go share it in the unpopular opinions thread, or the overrated prog songs thread. But this is the Tales appreciation thread, so let's talk Tales. Let's focus on the positives, let's talk about what makes great music great!

Getting over wars we do not mean
Or so it seems so clearly
Sheltered with our passion
Clearly to be home

As for my own "Tales" on Oceans, I've been thinking quite a bit more about the album over the past few days, and I'll be glad to share my new thoughts once I have them all together in writing. Let's make amends, no? Hug

No problem.  Well, a man who passionately or maybe even madly (in a while probably Big smile ) rave about Oceans canīt be that bad (grin)

Jokes aside. Firstly...
Wrong. I never said "... everybody else must be wrong". I just want bring some (historical) perspective to Yesī work. Relayer fanatics are nothing but weird. I donīt hate any of them, just try to ignore (grin). 
Wrong. I do not hate any record/music as such. Iīm saying why something is bad, musically and harmonically. I absolutely love harmonic music. I hate communists and fascists in general, and those who seriously threaten me, my family, dear friends and my friendīs dog.  
Wrong. Iīm not focusing on negativity, Iīm DEFENDING Oceans here instead ! Bloody hell, Iīm trying to get rid of ALL negativity including praising crap like that damn record.
Wrong. Nowadays any Yes album falls in the category "unpopular" or "overrated" album. Those categories are always made by other people, I have no idea what is popular or not. Never had and couldnīt care for less.

I want a drink.

Edited by Son.of.Tiresias - October 21 2016 at 05:59
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2016 at 08:39
Good! Handshake

Back to Tales.

One thing I've been thinking of is how great of a job Alan White did on the album. A lot of people knock his performance here, but I can't think of what he could have done to make it better. I guess it's just because Bruford had such a distinct, creative approach to percussion that people sort of look at him as the gold standard, and are disappointed by anything less. 

But I really like Alan White, and especially what he did on Tales. He's a rock drummer, no doubt, but that's what the album calls for. Would that initial descending 3-note keyboard motif after the chant at the start of The Revealing Science of God have as much raw power if we had a jazz cat tinkling away behind it on the brushes? It would probably still sound good, but it wouldn't sound nearly as massive as it does the way it is. And it's not like White doesn't have technical chops either; I can't think of anywhere on the record where he slips up, and he really drives the music along during the uptempo sections of The Remembering and Ritual.

Now how cool would it be if we got Bruford and White together with a Bruford-Muir-type dynamic? White's heavy hitting kit playing and Bruford musing away on the auxiliary percussion. That would have been awesome, especially during the percussion break in Ritual. One can only dream...
Devoncir View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2016 at 09:36
Yes, we came very close to the edge discussing and throwing tormatos at Relayer -- (as if Mr. Howe cared) -- and now the drama is over, and we are again going for the one: Tales form topographic Oceans. 

Edited by Devoncir - October 21 2016 at 09:39
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2016 at 10:07

Yes, we came very close to the edge discussing and throwing tormatos at Relayer -- (as if Mr. Howe cared) -- and now the drama is over, and we are again going for the one: Tales form topographic Oceans. 

Clap

I'm glad we had this Talk; emotions can get quite Fragile when discussing Yes music. Wink
Devoncir View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2016 at 10:27

Clap

I'm glad we had this Talk; emotions can get quite Fragile when discussing Yes music. Wink

Sure, the keys to ascention is the Union,  but now itīs time to open your eyes and fly from here. Letīs delete our unpopular opinions, and dance a Foxtrot, shall we? after all, a Yes album is no more than a Yes album -- this can go on forever
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2016 at 10:31
Wait... are you people... being nice?! Resolving disagreements without force or anger? Engaging in fraternal congregation?

What the hell kind of internet forum is this?! Fight for my amusement, you peasants!

*disgustedly logs off*
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2016 at 20:59

Good! Handshake

Back to Tales.

One thing I've been thinking of is how great of a job Alan White did on the album. A lot of people knock his performance here, but I can't think of what he could have done to make it better. I guess it's just because Bruford had such a distinct, creative approach to percussion that people sort of look at him as the gold standard, and are disappointed by anything less. 

But I really like Alan White, and especially what he did on Tales. He's a rock drummer, no doubt, but that's what the album calls for. Would that initial descending 3-note keyboard motif after the chant at the start of The Revealing Science of God have as much raw power if we had a jazz cat tinkling away behind it on the brushes? It would probably still sound good, but it wouldn't sound nearly as massive as it does the way it is. And it's not like White doesn't have technical chops either; I can't think of anywhere on the record where he slips up, and he really drives the music along during the uptempo sections of The Remembering and Ritual.

Now how cool would it be if we got Bruford and White together with a Bruford-Muir-type dynamic? White's heavy hitting kit playing and Bruford musing away on the auxiliary percussion. That would have been awesome, especially during the percussion break in Ritual. One can only dream...

Well,there is the Union Live DVD/CD thing with both drummers playing together... even though they didn't play anything from Tales on that one.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2016 at 00:42

Good! Handshake

Back to Tales.

Letīs Beer

Totally agree about Alan Whiteīs input on Oceans. Heīs basically a rock drummer but very able to do kinda "jazz" on Oceans, apparently (unlike on their next effort where he just pounds). He perfectly fits the Tales instrumentally, and I donīt miss complexity a la Bruford so much really. Funny, heīs also a very underrated as a Yes drummer. On the other hand, your Jamie Muir-Bill Bruford analogy is brilliant. Still, Brufordīs departure was the best thing for him, Yes and King Crimson. All moved to greater things.

Hats off to Alan, Bill and Jamie.

Edited by Son.of.Tiresias - October 22 2016 at 04:41
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 131415