Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHenk Werkhoven (Netherlands/Folk)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Henk Werkhoven (Netherlands/Folk)
    Posted: November 29 2012 at 14:59
I'm not sure if I'm suggesting Henk's discography, it's just how this album of his in 1981 "Orphical Positions" is mostly credited to him on the web. I think he composes some classical mixed with folk music and new age and had a lot of projects/bands throughout the years  but the album that might be interesting for PA was made with the band line-up that was gathered just for the purpose of recording it. Discogs

Info from here: http://www.henkwerkhoven.nl/
Leiden based group of musicians, in several line-ups. The band was specially formed for the album recordings of Orphical Positions (3 different versions, in 1981, 1982 and 1983)) a planned, and cancelled, promotion tour and the follow up, and never realised, album Geminal Spectrations. Instrumental music. Genres: (Celtic) folk, symphonic rock, folk rock, semi classical music, Oriental music.

seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2012 at 16:24
Nice stuff. Will ask the Prog Folk Team for their opinion.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2016 at 11:35
And...?  Ermm Embarrassed
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2016 at 15:54
It was a ping-ponged suggestion checked by three teams, Prog Folk, Eclectic Prog and Symphonic Prog, but none of them found their category suitable. It's a bit of a tricky one to classify as a quite easy listening album with folk, world and symphonic rock elements. I like the "exotic" world music qualities, and I don't mind some "syrup" in my listening. Had I still been on the Eclectic Team, I think I would have said yes even if I wouldn't find it an ideal fit, but different people hear things differently. Personally, I find it sufficiently PA worthy and wonder if Crossover might want to give it a go.

Edited by Logan - August 23 2016 at 15:56
Just a fanboy passin' through.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2016 at 19:45
Thanks very much for this update Greg. I'm surprised it wasn't accepted in Prog Folk, as I personally thought it would be pretty much a shoo-in there. Crossover would be very much a 'last resort' option, I feel...and that team isn't particularly active anyway at the moment, it seems. Pity the project didn't make it here - I listened to the album earlier today and remembered it being suggested at some time, and I just wondered if anything had been done to take things further. Seems that it did indeed had a fair hearing, so I'll leave it up to you SC guys as to whether you want to go the extra mile and drop anything in the Crossover Team thread. Smile
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2016 at 14:04
David,

Despite the instrumentation this isn't really a product of folk music, or at least that was the general consensus of the dandelion team. That said as I recall no one on the team was outright dismissive so if Crossover passes we can always have another listen. We've taken more than one act that we felt belonged on the site but couldn't find a home elsewhere.

Regards.
"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2016 at 21:52
Thanks Bob.

Yeah, you guys are quite right - there really isn't a clear-cut sub to file this project in, so I guess it's a case of drawing the line of best fit through what we have here, and seeing where it might lead. It just sounded like a decent candidate for you fellows over at the dandelion patch to my own, rather untrained, ears! Embarrassed
 Post Reply Post Reply