Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedsupper's ready lyrics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2012 at 14:42
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Originally posted by Ytse_Jam Ytse_Jam wrote:

I can't believe we actually made a page out of this..

you know it. On a side note. Let's just all listen Iron Maiden 666 the number of the beast and call it a day.

Don't be silly!

Spend a couple of hours reading Aleister Crowley's Autobiography, and you will not believe one of the nuttiest jokers ever ... and his explanation of the number thing, is even more fun to appreciate ... but maybe too many of us are just too superstitious to think that someone might have something to say ... that is worth a lot more than simple crap and uneducated frivolity. Or as Aleister loves to say ... the underbelly of mediocrity ...

We keep thinking that many times one word has more meaning than it does in the sentence ... and rarely does that happen ... we already afforded that ability to folks named Jesus, Mohammed or Buddha, I seriously doubt that we're going to say that Peter belongs in the same category ... he hasn't been crucified, YET! AND, too much of the stuff out there dealing with this "number" is out-dated, silly, over-bearing on your fears, and basically ... stupid. But the literary reference goes right over our brains, when we take it this seriously and are not willing to go study it some more, and find out what this is about ... hint ... the music is crap by comparison, specially when some of the other stuff is much more real and valuable than you and I could possibly consider!

Edited by moshkito - December 08 2012 at 14:48
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2012 at 11:41
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

you know it. On a side note. Let's just all listen Iron Maiden 666 the number of the beast and call it a day.

Don't be silly!

Spend a couple of hours reading Aleister Crowley's Autobiography, and you will not believe one of the nuttiest jokers ever ... and his explanation of the number thing, is even more fun to appreciate ... but maybe too many of us are just too superstitious to think that someone might have something to say ... that is worth a lot more than simple crap and uneducated frivolity. Or as Aleister loves to say ... the underbelly of mediocrity ...

We keep thinking that many times one word has more meaning than it does in the sentence ... and rarely does that happen ... we already afforded that ability to folks named Jesus, Mohammed or Buddha, I seriously doubt that we're going to say that Peter belongs in the same category ... he hasn't been crucified, YET! AND, too much of the stuff out there dealing with this "number" is out-dated, silly, over-bearing on your fears, and basically ... stupid. But the literary reference goes right over our brains, when we take it this seriously and are not willing to go study it some more, and find out what this is about ... hint ... the music is crap by comparison, specially when some of the other stuff is much more real and valuable than you and I could possibly consider!

I know Pedro. I'm just having a go at everyone. You are right. It is a deeper and more serious lyrically based song. Sorry if I seemed a tad apathetical with regards to the underlying meanings of the track. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Nick Dilley View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2012 at 11:49

+1
Progging the Rock, Rocking the Prog.

soundcloud.com/withinareverie

withinareverie.blogspot.com

facebook.com/withinareverie

Twitter: @WithinaReverie
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2012 at 12:03

I know Pedro. I'm just having a go at everyone. You are right. It is a deeper and more serious lyrically based song. Sorry if I seemed a tad apathetical with regards to the underlying meanings of the track. :)

Too much rock music and their lyrics are overblown and over-rated. There is as much "evil" in Black Sabbath and Ozzie as there is commerciality and advertising ... but no ... our fears make us believe that someone talking like that has to know something ... maybe Ozzie is just a good reader, and not as dumb as we think, or he pretends to be in his interviews!

But there is an underlying "fear", when folks see that number, that is weird, silly, strange, off the wall, and bizarre.

Aleister used it as a joke, after he realized that he could sell more books and get more attention to his own pagoda where he could do his fun experiments on drugs, sex, rock'n'roll, dancing and what not ... and instead, we go around thinking something else. 

Again ... the father and I are one ... so any manifestation that is not of that, is false and not valid in its "apparition" ... so if you are believing in ghosts, instead of the "person" ... good luck getting a good idea of what it all is about within yourself -- the father and I are one ... and the rest is just letters and words!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2012 at 12:27
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

...I know Pedro. I'm just having a go at everyone. You are right. It is a deeper and more serious lyrically based song. Sorry if I seemed a tad apathetical with regards to the underlying meanings of the track. :)

Too much rock music and their lyrics are overblown and over-rated. There is as much "evil" in Black Sabbath and Ozzie as there is commerciality and advertising ... but no ... our fears make us believe that someone talking like that has to know something ... maybe Ozzie is just a good reader, and not as dumb as we think, or he pretends to be in his interviews!

But there is an underlying "fear", when folks see that number, that is weird, silly, strange, off the wall, and bizarre.

Aleister used it as a joke, after he realized that he could sell more books and get more attention to his own pagoda where he could do his fun experiments on drugs, sex, rock'n'roll, dancing and what not ... and instead, we go around thinking something else. 

Again ... the father and I are one ... so any manifestation that is not of that, is false and not valid in its "apparition" ... so if you are believing in ghosts, instead of the "person" ... good luck getting a good idea of what it all is about within yourself -- the father and I are one ... and the rest is just letters and words!

I agree, but i like all that dark, turbulent subje t matter in metal. It fits and it's an awesome theme that's why it's done so much. Ozzy Osbourne is 'the prince of Darkness' and he has to live up to his name. He can't be talking about flowers and puppies, but he does talk about love on some tracks. I like his ballad CHANGES. Great track.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
TexasKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2018 at 03:59
I always wondered what's a meaning of that line "666 is no longer alone". 
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2018 at 04:41
This is arguably my favorite piece of Genesis music; Apocalypse in 9/8! Lyrically, I think Peter was alluding to the fact that "666 is no longer alone", because he's surfaced from the underworld, and you/we/us/Peter's characters are in "his" presence. This is just my take, but I nerd out so hard to this part of the song Cool

"He's getting out the marrow in your backbone" is perhaps the most metal lyric ever in 1972, more over the edge than what Sabbath was doing IMHO. Genesis just rules, and this song is their absolute peak IMHO.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2018 at 11:20

The devil is not just one man.
From what I know (which isn't much), the devil was never a man but a fallen angel.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2018 at 04:38
Originally posted by Earthmover Earthmover wrote:

Because, in fact, Genesis is a satanic band, using their music to influence the minds of people. Why do you think they are the most popular band here on this site?

I thought this was widely known.

Little known fact. The original title of Firth of Fifth was Firth of 666th.

We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2018 at 08:08
Regarding 'Suppers Ready'....there must be an interview where the band talks about the 'meaning' of the song...assuming there is one. 
I recall Lennon many times saying the Beatles lyrics were often just there to sound good with the song and didn't necessarily have any special meaning or significance.

btw- Firth of Fifth was originally called Route 666... ;)
interestingly...Gabriel did not write the lyrics nor the music...that was Banks and Rutherford for Firth of Fifth.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2018 at 08:42
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Because, in fact, Genesis is a satanic band, using their music to influence the minds of people. Why do you think they are the most popular band here on this site?

It's a conspiracy to write lyrics that people will debate over on internet forums 46 years into the future.

Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2018 at 09:05
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

It's a conspiracy to write lyrics that people will debate over on internet forums 46 years into the future.

Peter Gabriel plays the long game
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2018 at 09:53

Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Peter Gabriel plays the long game

Just like any picnic... Wink Cool

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12