Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Live Performance Reviews
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Flower Kings and Neal Morse, Wolverhampton, 8/3/13
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFlower Kings and Neal Morse, Wolverhampton, 8/3/13

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flower Kings and Neal Morse, Wolverhampton, 8/3/13
    Posted: March 09 2013 at 16:55
This was the last night of a European tour featuring both of these bands, but  one of only two that were in the UK. I braved the M6 on a Friday night, with roadworks and fog patches, initially because Neal Morse is one of my favourite prog artists and he doesn't play in the UK very often. The gig was at Wulfrun Hall in the middle of Wolverhampton, and it was a reasonably-sized venue, though sadly it wasn't full, which is a shame as these are two excellent bands. I didn't know much of the Flower Kings' music when I booked, but I've been catching up on Spotify since then, and liked what I've heard.

The Flower Kings were on first, and they played for just over an hour, but being a prog gig that meant just 3 songs!! They had played more in some other gigs on the tour so it was a bit disappointing only to get 3 songs. The songs were

Numbers
The Truth Will Set You Free
Rising The Imperial

I thought they were very good, but unfortunately the sound was very loud which caused some distortion - a pity because they have a very clean sound on recordings. I preferred the last 2 songs to the first, but only because of the sound quality issues. Roine Stolt played a couple of fantastic solos on The Truth Will Set You Free and Rising the Imperial. Just before the former a guy in the audience (I don't know if he was overexcited or drunk) was shouting things at Roine but Roine was very gracious and even dedicated the solo to the heckler. I thought the other singer, Hasse, was a bit of a poser but he was obviously enjoying himself. He did tend to shout into the microphone a bit though, which given the sound issues maybe wasn't a good idea.

Then, after a bit of stage rearrangement, came Neal Morse. He had a six piece band consisting of himself and his two long term recording buddies (and rhythm section) Randy George and Mike Portnoy, plus 3 musicians that he chose via Youtube auditions - Eric Gillette (keyboards and guitar), Adson Sodre (guitar) and Bill Hubaeur (keyboards, sax and electric violin). Mike Portnoy was very amusing, conducting the audience from the back with his drumsticks, and he and Neal obviously have a strong bond - on more than one occasion Mike said how privaliged he felt to be playing "this wonderful music."

Neal Morse played 4 songs (though one was a medley)

Momentum
Author of Confusion
? Medley
World Without End

Momentum set the tone nicely and really rocked, then  Author of Confusion included a wonderful cacophony of instruments followed by a brilliant 4-part vocal harmony. The ? medley was a highlight for me as it's my favourite Morse album, and during it Neal went walkabout in the audience whilst contining to sing into his radio mike. The set finished with the epic World Without End, and during a heavy metal type bit the roadie, a guy with long blonde hair, came on stage, stripped to the waist, and headbanged! Neal Morse's set was also louder than I would like, and there was occasional distortion, but not as much as for the Flower Kings. Don't know why. Neal's set was maybe a few minutes longer than The Flower Kings but not by much. Again he's played more songs earlier on the tour, and I was disappointed not to hear Thoughts Part 5, my favourite track on Momentum.

Finally, we had an encore of Transatlantic songs, being as 3 of the 4 band members were present. This consisted of

Bridge Across Forever
All Of The Above (first part)
The Whirlwind
A Man Can Feel
Rose Colored Glasses
Stranger In Your Soul (last part)

This medley built up nicely, starting with just Neal and Roine doing Bridge, then a 6 piece for the next three parts (Jonas from TFK on bass, Mike Portnoy drums, plus Eric and Bill from Neal's band). Randy George took over bass for Rose Colored Glasses, and towards the end of that song Hasse added a second vocal to Neal's. For Stranger, Adson Sodre joined in, Thomas Bodin from TFK took over Bill's keyboards whilst Bill played electric violin, and Jonas played bass pedals! The Flower Kings drummer got behind his kit and played along too. Even the aforementioned roadie banged one of Mike's cymbals, so we finished with a 12 piece band. Magic!

I loved the whole show, despite the volume. At the merch stall I bought Banks Of Eden by The Flower Kings and listened to it on the drive home. I was tempted to get Neal Morse's latest DVD/CD package at the knockdown price of £15, but resisted. A great night and well worth the drive there and back.

Edited by AlanB - March 09 2013 at 20:59
Morsenator View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2013 at 09:27
Nice review! Seems like a very fine set, even if a bit "short" Tongue
You love the music, the music loves you!
http://moonsofjupiter.bandcamp.com/

Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 10:11
Nice review Alan. It was a great night. Both bands were superb. The highlight for me was a wonderful rendition of World Without End, incredible stuff.
 Post Reply Post Reply