Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLed Zeppelin Celebration Day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 15:12
I thought Celebration Day was the best it could have ever been, and let's face it, it could have been so much worse.

I also respect that they kept in their improvisations and variations on their songs I kinda expected they would play it exactly as they are on the record. Although, weirdly the Stairway To Heaven solo was like the one on the record, which is odd because that was notable for its extended live solos..
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 09:55
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

Jimmy Page was very accomplished as a player in the early 60's...but what the hell happened? I have recording sessions of Page with Sonny Boy Williamson where his guitar contains zero distortion. His sound has the tone quality of a George Benson. He was much cleaner when he played on the YARDBIRDS album LITTLE GAMES..but still on a downslide at that point in time and specifically on electric. He was VERY schooled in the area of the open tuning style European Folk. He mastered most or all of the guitar styles evident on Pentangle and Fairport Convention albums. Some of the Led Zeppelin songs contained more than 14 or 15 chord variations, yet his electric playing was often horrific. What the hell happened to him? Jeff Beck was his understudy so figure that one out? I just never understood how a guitar player with all that knowledge could end up sounding like a 10 year old frustrated with the pentatonic scale.  

Ha! Ha! I hadn't expected any opinion to go that far. 

If we're going to criticize the CDay event, how about TSRTS ? Bonham's power-play was efficient, Page was moving good on stage, and obviously it was huge for all of them to experiment. But of course for those who prefer listening to carefully crafted pieces live, much of the magic in the albums was lost. 

Even then Plant's voice was half broken already. His tendency to behave like an over-excited pulcinello was at its top, hence the vision of him as a fantastic punching bag; and I wonder which one of you has enjoyed when he shouted in a semi-choked voice "Pew-ush, pewush, pewush, pewush, pewush" like someone was behind him. No wonder that, suddenly feeling the magic gone after two or three hours in Heaven, a sad and lonely Plant shied away to his room, then for most of the night sweated desperately to get something off his johnson in order to calm down before sleeping (This last information is unverified but I've figured it out because he said about the crazy times that  he was in bed by eleven every night). 

So onstage I don't trust LZ but I remain a great fan of most of what they recorded.

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 14:38
Originally posted by jayem jayem wrote:

So onstage I don't trust LZ but I remain a great fan of most of what they recorded.

That works for me......,in the past (70's) I've seen several great classic rock bands and they all had some issues when they played live.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2013 at 14:10
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Enjoyable and recommended.

Sorry...

Excellent, highly enjoyable and recommended.
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2013 at 12:50
Not sure where the OP wants this thread to go....yeah, the remnants of Zep cashed in on a one-off reunion show.  I guess to paraphrase Voltaire:  they were the best of all possible Led Zeppelins.  Circa '71 it wasn't, but can you ask for more from a bunch of white-haired geezers?  I actually think Celebration Day and Unledded are excellent additions to the Zep catalouge. 
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2013 at 14:09
Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

Not sure where the OP wants this thread to go....yeah, the remnants of Zep cashed in on a one-off reunion show.  I guess to paraphrase Voltaire:  they were the best of all possible Led Zeppelins.  Circa '71 it wasn't, but can you ask for more from a bunch of white-haired geezers?  I actually think Celebration Day and Unledded are excellent additions to the Zep catalouge. 

^ this

I actually saw the infamous final show on the '77 tour in Oakland (the one where Richard Cole and Bonzo beat up Bill Grahams son backstage and LZ refused to play unless Peter Grant was given $25,000 cash and it turned out to be LZ's last US show - at least I think those are the specific details).  

Two things I recall very clearly from that day.  One, LZ came onstage about 2 hours late (opening bands were Rick Derringer & Judas Priest).  During the delay a roadie was sitting onstage with Pagey's red doubleneck while every 20 minutes someone would come up to the mic and announce "we're having a little trouble with Jimmy's doubleneck, Led Zeppelin will be on soon".  It was pretty ridiculous though of course none of us punters in the crowd had any idea of the drama unfolding backstage.  Two, LZ were awful!  Completely and hopelessly terrible!  No Quarter seemed to drag on for at least a half hour and it was pretty clear the band didn't care much about the performance (which makes sense knowing the backstage drama that was occurring).  I saw nearly all the big prog bands at least once between '76 and '80 but this was by far the worst performance I ever witnessed.
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2013 at 15:13
Celebration Day kicked ass!! idky the guy who started this topic is f**king criticizing this beauty!!! SHAME ON HIM/HER!!!!
Progrockdude
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12