Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIt Was 73 Years Ago Today

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 14:10
RIP John Cry my favourite solo John Lennon song is either Mother, the opening track on "Plastic Ono Band" or the obvious classic "Imagine". A great artist, music would probably not be like it was and is today if it wasn't for him/The Beatles with those great albums, especially Sgt. Pepper. 

Happy 73rd John!!
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2013 at 11:25
Fave John songs...Strawberry Fields, I Am the Walrus, Revolution 9...the man was prog before there was prog Bowdown

You say it's your birthday?  Happy birthday to you! Thumbs Up
refugee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2013 at 13:56
Very nice tribute, Dean! Clap

December 1980: After exploring the back catalogues of bands like Genesis, VdGG, King Crimson, Yes and Jethro Tull, my brother (four years older than me) and I "rediscovered" The Beatles, and we had only just begun with Lennon’s solo albums, starting with Plastic Ono Band and the brand new Double Fantasy.

I remember coming home from school the 9th. After a while my five years younger sister suddenly said: "Oh, have you heard that John Lennon is dead?" My brother and I thought it was some kind of sick joke, but we phoned a news line (no internet in those days) and, sadly, she was right.

A black day indeed. But he’s not forgotten. And he will never be forgotten as long as man lives.

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. Sometimes you can say the same about death.
He say nothing is quite what it seems;
I say nothing is nothing
(Peter Hammill)
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2013 at 13:35
Originally posted by refugee refugee wrote:

Very nice tribute, Dean! Clap

December 1980: After exploring the back catalogues of bands like Genesis, VdGG, King Crimson, Yes and Jethro Tull, my brother (four years older than me) and I "rediscovered" The Beatles, and we had only just begun with Lennon’s solo albums, starting with Plastic Ono Band and the brand new Double Fantasy.

I remember coming home from school the 9th. After a while my five years younger sister suddenly said: "Oh, have you heard that John Lennon is dead?" My brother and I thought it was some kind of sick joke, but we phoned a news line (no internet in those days) and, sadly, she was right.

A black day indeed. But he’s not forgotten. And he will never be forgotten as long as man lives.

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. Sometimes you can say the same about death.

I remember the day after when I heard the news at work...me and another Beatle fan made black flags and hung them from our car antenna's Cry 
proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2013 at 14:24
Great tribute to John Lennon,  Strawberry Fields Forever is one of the first songs I remember, the mellotron intro is impossible to forget.
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2013 at 15:23

A fellow Libra and a downright arsehole....in the sense that he spouted peace, truth and love and our cynical press, leaders and powers that be deemed him a degerenerate arsehole.  The world needs more arseholes.

Remember BIll Hicks...."They shot Kennedy, MLK, Ghandi, Lennon, but Reagan they wounded.....wrong choice!"
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2013 at 06:52
Originally posted by proggman proggman wrote:

Great tribute to John Lennon,  Strawberry Fields Forever is one of the first songs I remember, the mellotron intro is impossible to forget.
The greatest thing ever committed to vinyl imo.
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2013 at 20:41
I feel it a bit ironic that this thread is named after a line in Sgt.Pepper, a song Paul rote
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2013 at 01:52
Lennon was the only public figure I ever cared about. He was a total one off , someone who created much beauty for us to enjoy but also wanted to change the world for the better. Imagine is a song that makes you think. That in itself is incredibly rare.
Not only that he gave the Yes drumming legend that is Alan White his first big break.Big smile

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2013 at 02:37
Originally posted by smartpatrol smartpatrol wrote:

I feel it a bit ironic that this thread is named after a line in Sgt.Pepper, a song Paul rote
That's not irony, but thanks for you input.
What?
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2013 at 02:57
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

How is it not irony?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2013 at 03:07

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

How is it not irony?
Because it isn't. Titling a tribute to someone with words written by someone else isn't ironic.
i·ro·ny
n. pl. i·ro·nies
a. The use of words to express something different from and often opposite to their literal meaning.
b. An expression or utterance marked by a deliberate contrast between apparent and intended meaning.
c. A literary style employing such contrasts for humorous or rhetorical effect. See Synonyms at wit1.
a. Incongruity between what might be expected and what actually occurs: "Hyde noted the irony of Ireland's copying the nation she most hated" (Richard Kain).
b. An occurrence, result, or circumstance notable for such incongruity. See Usage Note at ironic.
3. Dramatic irony.
4. Socratic irony.

[French ironie, from Old French, from Latin rna, from Greek eirneia, feigned ignorance, from eirn, dissembler, probably from eirein, to say; see wer-5 in Indo-European roots.]

Even if I had assumed that John wrote them, or wrongly attributed them to John that still would not be irony

Edited by Dean - October 18 2013 at 03:08
What?
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2014 at 21:10
"Surrealism to me, is reality" "It all exists, even if it's in your mind" .

...And many others, with the same friendly, brotherly flavour.

Up for a little more exposure !
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2014 at 09:51
I remember reading something a long time ago about John Lennon hearing the music of MAN and stating that it was very good and reminded him of some of the songwriting he did with The Beatles. John Lennon must have been so cool to work with and he probably had a very open mind accepting new artists all the time. When observing some of the film footage of the Imagine sessions with Spector...he was frustrated with "Oh Yoko". Like many creative artists he could not tolerate certain situations and I believe that is what made him so great. I love his confrontation with the fellow who was sleeping on his lawn/property. On film he tells the guy..."Those are just nonsense lyrics" and he says...."How could I have been talking about you?" He tries to set the guy straight and suddenly you get the impression that John Lennon was truly a down to earth person who had much love in his heart. He may have been frustrated with certain aspects to life, but I get the impression that he was for the good of life and about helping people. You can witness that on the Imagine film when he invites the guy in for breakfast. That's another reason why I have a rip in my heart whenever I think of his death. Love ya...John!

Edited by TODDLER - January 13 2014 at 09:53
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12