Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNeed Carla Bley recommendations, please

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2013 at 04:41
Just beware of the awful vocals of Howard Johnson on "Tropic Appetites". Wink

They spoil a good album for me!
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2013 at 11:31
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I don't know her that well but I like this album a lot -

Something happened to my cover art.  The album is Dreams So Real.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

schizoidman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2013 at 17:10
One of the first things I've noticed about her music is the complete absence of synthesizers, which, actually, is a nice break from what I normally listen to.

Making the useless useful 24/7.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2013 at 21:57
Here's my impression/review of "Tropic Appetites":

Thoughts on “Tropic Appetites”. This is the first album I’ve heard by Carla Bley. Indeed, the first time I’ve heard any of her music. My instincts are classifying her in the same compartment of my mind as the legendary Zawinul/Shorter Weather Report work. Carla, of course, employed a far greater range of musicians creating a broader spectrum of work than Weather Report. But, imho, if you like one, you’ll probably like the other.

1.     “What Will Be Left Between Us and the Moon Tonight?” Great opening track. Love the intro with Carla’s piano. Great piano/bass/percussion foundation for the horn players to lay out. The Latin flavored section that closes this piece really gave me a most pleasant surprise. Builds to an effective climax.

2.     “In India” A short interlude with Julie Tippetts’ voicing over minimal instrumentation. In a film I would say this piece serves the same purpose as landscape views giving the audience a sense of place.

3.     “Enormous Tots” Opens with a Brecht/Weill cabaret. Lots of tempo changes. I prefer to think of Howard Johnson’s voice contributions not as singing but as a kind of recitation of Haines’ writing. Bawdy elements are present. Some seriously oppressive musical moments as well, probably drawn from some of the more risqué times he experienced in Southeast Asia, perhaps? Builds to an effective climax.

4.     “Caucasian Bird Riffles” Beautiful. Simple. Well arranged. This is a song that could have been arranged as a powerful, bombastic piece, but wasn’t.

5.     “Funnybird Song” 1:20 of cuteness. In this piece Johnson doesn’t sing in as much as he creates a likeable character to voice some funny words.

6.     “Indonesian Dock Sucking Supreme” Somber intro, evolves numerous times into engaging sax/violin/keyboard/bass solo’s. A lot going on in this piece. Numerous tempo and mood changes. Some serious improvisations over some serious structures. To my ears it succeeds perfectly as it segues imperceptibly into….

7.     “Song of the Jungle Stream” Begins with voices. Gets orchestral. Settles into a song proper for a while. Evolves into some intelligently written dissonant notes. Jazz Opera comes to mind. Bass guitar moves to the forefront, voices reemerge. Polyrhythms, voices reemerge evolving into a satisfyingly calm and melodic conclusion.

8.     “Nothing” The Brecht/Weill cabaret motif returns, evolving into a melodic section evolving into the Latin motif, evolving, changing, and resolving into the climax.

A serious work by a serious composer with serious musicians creating a work of substantial worth and enjoyment.

4 stars
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2013 at 23:32
Wow. Finding her music is like finding a goldmine. I was also a bit late to the party with Porcupine Tree, Weather Report and Big Big Train, but, better late than never.

Really enjoying Musique Mecanique as well.
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2013 at 06:36
I still feel Johnson's words/vocals break the album for me.  Everything else is excellent except his voice!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2013 at 11:45

Very impressed with Musique Mecanique. Here's my review:  http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=1065267 

DigDaddyDon View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2016 at 12:49
I know this thread is very old, but just in case I had to post a reply, as no one seems to have mentioned the totally genre-defying and ground-breaking Escalator Over The Hill.  Anyone interested in Carla Bley would do very well to check this out.  Paul Haines, whose surrealistic poetry was used as the libretto for the "jazz opera," was a French teacher at the international school in New Delhi when I was there, and we were blown away by listening to this record (3-LP set). It is a sweeping work composed by Bley, and features performances by Jack Bruce, Gato Barbieri, John McLaughlin, Linda Ronstadt, Charlie Haden, Don Cherry, and others.  To give it a fair shot, sit down with it for an afternoon or evening and follow along with the printed program (which is much nicer to read in the larger format LP edition).  Good listening!Star
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2016 at 04:07
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I also have a *very* difficult, avant-jazz album featuring Mantler, Bley, Jack Bruce, Don Cherry etc. called 'No Answer', with words by Samuel Beckett - Bley and Bruce are the finest points about it - as I said - DIFFICULT.........

Second that, I have it on a double CD with Silence - which is much better IMHO
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2016 at 06:34
For those who like "Fictitious Sports", try "I Hate To Sing".
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2016 at 13:11
Edit: ignore me, I didn't read the thread properly

Edited by Mascodagama - May 23 2016 at 13:13
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12