FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedELP’s Beyond The Beginning

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: ELP’s Beyond The Beginning
    Posted: August 04 2005 at 15:58

The NTSC version of this 2 dvd set will be released this month (Aug 16 I believe). I'm an ELP fan (from the beginning) I saw them live twice - incredible performances!  I was a little disappointed in the Montreal Olympic Stadium dvd - the video,  and audio especially, was not good to say the least. But, as a fan, I just like to watch them perform and can appreciate that in itself. I've heard the same people worked on this (Beyond The Beginning) that produced the Led Zepplin dvd.  I have the LZ dvd and it is good. 

Question:  Has anyone out there watched the PAL format of Beyond The Beginning - and if so - what's the quality like overall?   Thought I'd add this photo for fun - it's the only one I have of me on these drums............(near Vancouve BC)    1969 GRETSCH DRUMS         & nbsp;                Photo taken in 1970

Drumming...........
threefates View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2005 at 20:42
I've seen it about 300 times so far... looks pretty damn good to me!!!!!
THIS IS ELP
bad1 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2005 at 09:12

Seen it only five times - still it looks rather good

One of the very few ELP DVD's that in some way lives up to the legend.

Of course one could have wanted even more, some other edits and even another million spent on upgrading the sound and picture... in these cynical times one must never be too satisfied

Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.
G.K. Chesterton
Phil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2005 at 07:25
I've got it, it looks good..my criticism would be that there's alittle too much editing here but definitely highly recommended. Also try "Masters form the Vault" (Brussels 71 gig) if you haven't already - although the sound is not great its' a great performance
kona1984 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2005 at 12:51
I guess I have only " 3 more sleeps until August 16th the ntsc version release date - I've pre-ordered the DVD and I'm really looking forward to it - almost as exciting as going to a concert for me.  I have a great surround system and it's nice to turn the lights down, turn the system up and relax with a cool one and reminisce with ELP - can't wait!

Thanks all of you - for the feedback on the DVD - much appreciated.

Do any of you listen to Dream Theatre?

Cheers,

Gary
Drumming...........
olafr View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2005 at 10:11
  ...It's a very good DVD, the best moments for me are on disc two (the California Jam set), but a bit annoying that some of the clips are too short (especially "Tank"), but... can't complain!!
kona1984 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2005 at 16:18
Thanks for the reply olafr.

Yes - the California Jam set is what I'm wanting to see most of all.  It's not good news to me to hear Tank is "cut short" being a drummer myself - that's what I like to watch (Carl's lighening speed, accuracy and interesting chops on that solo).  But - Hey - I shouldn't complain - for me to see anything from that concert will be a treat.
Just an aside: have you ever just sat back and really listened (lights out and good sound system) to Aquatarkus from that concert? Is it just me - or does that sound like ELP at their best - very tight - Awesome!!
Drumming...........
olafr View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2005 at 21:04
....agreed! I think Tarkus as a whole is their most accomplished album, but they stand the distance live as well!!  amazing, and yes , Carl Palmer is King!  funny to see he's using the "jazz" technique by putting the left stick between his third/second finger (never managed to play well that way myself, but there you go....
Stickleback View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2005 at 13:35

Hey all,

Just picked the NTSC version - have been waiting feverously for its release. Thoroughly enjoyable. Quality seems to be very good. I can forgive the edits on disc one - although I would have really liked to have seen a full version of Tank, not just a minute of the drum solo.

What I really can't understand is that they did not present more of the Cal Jam show. I mean they had all of the second DVD. I was disgusted by the edit of Tocatta. They could have presented a full concert of ELP at their height - BSS tour. What a crime. I could only assume there were technical problems with the rest of the show, or there were too many mistakes.

kona1984 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2005 at 03:43
I got my copy in the mail 2 days ago.  It's nice to have it because I'm a fan, but I was very disappointed with the edits, especially Tank and Tacotta!  Maybe there are too many problems with  30 year old tapes.
It was interesting to watch them rehearsing and figuring things out for the first time - great stuff.  I enjoyed all the interviews.

Maybe we're in for a huge treat down the road (complete Cal Jam and more!). You never know..........The whole world is on the threashold of HD DVD and maybe the powers-to-be are gearing up for a huge ELP HD DVD release in the years to come.  I'm dreamin here..............But - hey - the fans know best and if the video records are out there we deserve the very best of those records - don't you think?  I'm no less fussy about music than Keith, Greg and Carl.  I would hope they have tremendous influence over what gets released and what doesn't at this stage and I think they would love to get their very best of the best out to us..........I just love to watch them perform.

Was that really Carl behind the kit on that video Fire with The Crazy World of Arthur Brown? It didn't look like him or his drumming style..............

Gary
Drumming...........
 Post Reply Post Reply