Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 310311312
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2024 at 23:34
Originally posted by mrawjm mrawjm wrote:

I think the comparisons between vinyl and CD (or other digital formats) are similar to the comparisons between analog and digital photography.

Digital photography can be very precise and high definition. But analog photography has genuine dimension because it is a physical medium capturing the actual effect of light.

When you look at an analog photograph, you're looking into it. It feels like you can jump through into its world. You can feel it.

Digital photography, no matter how precise in accuracy and colour, etc., is flat. It is a flat image. We can sense its dimension because our human brains have learned to recognise it as an image of a real thing.

Although not exactly comparable, vinyl (I'm talking vinyl where the original recording was also analog) gives a more natural, airy sound that is easily recognisable to the ear/brain as sound being produced by instruments.
I've heard/read that comparison before as well......I'd add that its a sterile representation, digital that is.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2024 at 06:44
Made a run into Toronto on Sunday to sell a guy a guitar. Took the money and headed to 'Rotate This' record store. I'd rate the store 5/10 for both content and staff service.
But I did find these.

Edited by JD - April 01 2024 at 06:45
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Sebastianmoto View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sebastianmoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2024 at 11:56
Pickups during my holiday in Spain.
I like to get at least a couple Spanish albums, because foreign artist LP's seem to be pretty rare where I shop in the UK (I've found one Banco, and even that's the English language one).

Triana and El Mago De Oz were both new. The Zeppelin and Unanimated albums were also new, because the Zep was cheaper than I've seen it in the UK and the Unanimated album was only a tenner, so worst case I'll give it to my brother if it doesn't tickle my fancy.

The rest were at a few stores I've visited previously, bar the BS&T album which was on market stall.

Edited by Sebastianmoto - April 01 2024 at 11:57
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2024 at 12:55
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Made a run into Toronto on Sunday to sell a guy a guitar. Took the money and headed to 'Rotate This' record store. I'd rate the store 5/10 for both content and staff service.
But I did find these.

Nice....I have the Gryphon and PG Live. All the PG live albums sound fantastic.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2024 at 12:57
Originally posted by Sebastianmoto Sebastianmoto wrote:

Pickups during my holiday in Spain.
I like to get at least a couple Spanish albums, because foreign artist LP's seem to be pretty rare where I shop in the UK (I've found one Banco, and even that's the English language one).

Triana and El Mago De Oz were both new. The Zeppelin and Unanimated albums were also new, because the Zep was cheaper than I've seen it in the UK and the Unanimated album was only a tenner, so worst case I'll give it to my brother if it doesn't tickle my fancy.

The rest were at a few stores I've visited previously, bar the BS&T album which was on market stall.

Welcome!!! Those are some nice buys.....
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2024 at 18:43
Couple adds to the collection today....Shopping at Hi-Voltage in Tacoma. Opeth is new 20th Anniversary release. The others are OG in NM condition.......

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2024 at 14:27
$10 CND ea.
So far, Santana - S/T 1974 Reissue has Play Graded as NM (+)/ VG+cvr

King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2024 at 15:48
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Couple adds to the collection today....Shopping at Hi-Voltage in Tacoma. Opeth is new 20th Anniversary release. The others are OG in NM condition.......

I have the new 20th Anniversary Opeth record. Sounds quite amazing! Clap
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2024 at 21:13
Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I have the new 20th Anniversary Opeth record. Sounds quite amazing! Clap

I've spun it several times, your correct it sounds amazing. The lacquer cutter is Jasper who has cut some other recent prog releases, he cut PT-C/C Live which is pretty darn nice sounding for a live recording.
Thumbs Up
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2024 at 14:23
Obviously not vinyl, and I rarely buy CD's, but...
$8 ea. except ELP $22

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2024 at 17:30
^ The deluxe release of Pictures is one of the best ever. Love that live version of Knife Edge but the whole of that Lyceum gig was ELP at their best. 

King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2024 at 15:29
Who else went to RSD? And what did you get?

I got the Yes live record, plus the Steven Wilson remix and a few metal records. Otherwise it was a good day for records!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 09:49
Extremely happy to have this seminal recording by Sonny Rollins from BlueNote Records as a TonePoet version. The first ever live recording at the Village Vanguard in NYC in 1957 as well Sonny's first live record. 
The interesting bit on this recording is Rudy Van Gelder recorded at 7.5ips due to this being a live session, he did not bring his traditional studio deck that could record at 15ips, physically not possible. He then went back to his studio and transferred the session to 15ips tape and this is what was always used to create the original LP release and subsequent CDs and other LP issues. Until this one, which is cut from the original 7.5ips master tapes, the only time these were played before was the original transfer.

Comparing to a CD version I have, this version has so much presence and additional detail/resolution the soundstage is so real its kinda spooky. Kevin Gray cut the lacquers, all analog no EQ or compression added to Rudy's original recording. The included booklet is great too with tons of info, photos and an interview of Sonny Rollins by Don Was from last year. 

A Night At The Village Vanguard [VINYL]: Amazon.co.uk: CDs &amp; Vinyl
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 310311312