Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHawkwind

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2017 at 04:53
Well, I saw the Hawks a week ago at the Roundhouse in London.  The big disappointment was the sound quality - it was sludge and for me it really spoilt the show.   It started promisingly with a three song 'acoustic' set - with Brock pointing out that they had not played 'We took the wrong step years ago' since 1971.  But once 'Born to Go' started up. the guy behind the mixing desk lost it - no instrumental differentiation - just 'mud'.  'You'd better believe it' really suffered for this...  It was the first time I had seen them in 25 years and I was REALLY looking forward to it but in this day and age...
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2017 at 15:29
That is a real shame,it was THE hawkwind gig on paper!!.. I saw them at Stroud a few days before and i thought the sound was much better than when i saw them at Hawkeaster a few weeks before where it was a bit muddy, particularly the saturday night but that tends to be how Hawkwind have sounded since the 90's on and off.. I thought the track selection was good this tour and stroud was a cracking gig.

Big Ears View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2017 at 18:17
Captain Lockheed and the Starfighters is the best album Hawkwind never made.
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2017 at 02:33
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

That is a real shame,it was THE hawkwind gig on paper!!.. I saw them at Stroud a few days before and i thought the sound was much better than when i saw them at Hawkeaster a few weeks before where it was a bit muddy, particularly the saturday night but that tends to be how Hawkwind have sounded since the 90's on and off.. I thought the track selection was good this tour and stroud was a cracking gig.

I know!  I feel like an interloper as the consensus was that it was a cracking gig  (in a great venue)!  The other thing I was a little uncomfortable with was Mr. Dibs slaughtering 'Steppenwolf' - I am a big fan of Calvert era Hawkwind but Brock is usually an adequate substitute.  I first saw them in 77 and have seen them many times since...
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2017 at 03:55
Originally posted by Flight123 Flight123 wrote:

Well, I saw the Hawks a week ago at the Roundhouse in London.  The big disappointment was the sound quality - it was sludge and for me it really spoilt the show.   It started promisingly with a three song 'acoustic' set - with Brock pointing out that they had not played 'We took the wrong step years ago' since 1971.  But once 'Born to Go' started up. the guy behind the mixing desk lost it - no instrumental differentiation - just 'mud'.  'You'd better believe it' really suffered for this...  It was the first time I had seen them in 25 years and I was REALLY looking forward to it but in this day and age...

I saw them in the mid 80's, and the sound was pretty poor. For a start it was deafening and badly distorted, but they put on a visually good show and it was a good set list.

I don't think they've ever been blessed with a good live sound. Lemmy once described them as musical terrorists who used to lock people in the venue so they couldn't escape the 'sonic attack'!
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2017 at 14:37
Originally posted by Flight123 Flight123 wrote:

Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

I know!  I feel like an interloper as the consensus was that it was a cracking gig  (in a great venue)!  The other thing I was a little uncomfortable with was Mr. Dibs slaughtering 'Steppenwolf' - I am a big fan of Calvert era Hawkwind but Brock is usually an adequate substitute.  I first saw them in 77 and have seen them many times since...

I agree about Steppenwolf.. did they have the polish saxophone player with them?  I was expecting  the sax parts in exactly the same places as in the studio lp and they were not.. but he is a really good sax player and it did help but i'm afraid i just cant get into Mr Dibs delivery.

Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2017 at 07:04
Yes, he was - good to hear a sax player with the band (when the murky sound allowed, that is...sax not always audible!)

Blaqua View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2017 at 19:51

I saw them almost a year ago and their sound and music were both "spatially" stellar. However, I would have wanted them to play the overlooked Space is Deep or something from the Quark album. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789