Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Crimson Projekct Touring Australia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2014 at 01:15
I think this concert will kick you in to shape buddy!

You know most of the concert I've been to it was quite necessary to know the material, but here it was different, the playing was so good and interesting that I felt like I'm watching a good movie for the first time. But anyway the double trio played together mostly material from Thrak and 80's Crimson. After that the Belew trio played material from his album called "e" which I knew and I believe more stuff from his solo work plus more Crimson stuff if I remember correctly.
Then the Tony Levin trio played stuff from the Stick Man album and some improvisational stuff in the spirit Crimson of course, excellent stuff I was very impressed. Then they got together again and played more Crimson stuff plus a few songs from the 70's which the audience went crazy for.

I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself. Report back man.
Terra Australis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2014 at 05:00
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Anyone else from Melbourne going to this on Thursday? I'm heading off with Archives member Stratcat, be cool to know there's other Archives regulars there as well!

Hello ABB,

I am going to be there with my brother. Really looking forward to it.

Cheers 
John
Allomerus. Music with progressive intent.

http://allomerus.bandcamp.com
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2014 at 05:13
Awesome John! Just look for the tall balding dude in a Gentle Giant t-shirt (probably)!

Sagi's description above has got me pretty curious now, especially the improv stuff!
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2014 at 19:40
Terrific show last night in Melbourne from the Crimson ProjeKCt!

Over two hours of grooving noise, improvs and the best of Crimson! Adrian Belew's mangled guitar sound was in fine splintering form (and his vocals in excellent shape too), and the rest of the members like Pat Mastelloto and Tony Levin were a treat to watch. Six musicians offering a dynamic and intelligent alternative to brainless, shallow commercial music. I was also lucky enough to get Adrian and Tony to sign some of my Crimson albums!

Terrific night, although it was the noisiest gig I've ever been to, my ears will be F'd for at least the next 24 hours - but totally worth it!

Will try and post a setlist and some photos!

UPDATE - Anyone not going because `There's no Robert Fripp' is missing out BIG-TIME. Dont let this opportunity pass you by, as Markus Reuter is a superb musician who more than holds his own, and was espeically impressive during the improv sections.

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - June 26 2014 at 19:47
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2014 at 10:22
Just got back from the Brisbane Gig (at the Hi-Fi Venue in the city's west end) The sound was good and the playing excellent throughout a very eclectic set that included Larks Tongues in Aspic Part 2, Dinosaur, Red, Matte Kudasai, Sleepless, Frame by Frame, Three of a Perfect Pair, One Time, Indiscipline, a couple of rather samey spacey soundscapey critters, Breathless from Fripp's solo album Exposure (which I've not heard any incarnation of Crimson tackle) and some solo Belew material plus contributions from Levin's Stickmen. Highlight of the night for me was the incredible percussion interplay between the twin kits of Mastelloto and Ralph which included some of the most powerful and incendiary drumming I've heard in the live realm to date.  I certainly enjoyed the show but can't say I heard anything that points the way forward. Slick, Ralph and Reuter remain three incredibly talented 'fans' sharing the stage with their inspirational heroes so no-one took their eyes off the rear view mirror for a second. It will be very interesting to find out what sort of direction Crimson take with Fripp's latest recruits/victims come Sept 2014. BTW deliberate or otherwise, Mastellotto is a dead ringer for (gulp)...Rolf HarrisShocked
Terra Australis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2014 at 04:05
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Terrific show last night in Melbourne from the Crimson ProjeKCt!

Over two hours of grooving noise, improvs and the best of Crimson! Adrian Belew's mangled guitar sound was in fine splintering form (and his vocals in excellent shape too), and the rest of the members like Pat Mastelloto and Tony Levin were a treat to watch. Six musicians offering a dynamic and intelligent alternative to brainless, shallow commercial music. I was also lucky enough to get Adrian and Tony to sign some of my Crimson albums!

Terrific night, although it was the noisiest gig I've ever been to, my ears will be F'd for at least the next 24 hours - but totally worth it!

Will try and post a setlist and some photos!

UPDATE - Anyone not going because `There's no Robert Fripp' is missing out BIG-TIME. Dont let this opportunity pass you by, as Markus Reuter is a superb musician who more than holds his own, and was espeically impressive during the improv sections.

Glad you enjoyed it. Smile Unfortunately, I came down with severe bronchitis and couldn't go. Laid up in bed for days. So frustrating, I wasted money but more importantly what's the chance they come back? Unhappy

I don't suppose you got any video?

Cheers 
John
Allomerus. Music with progressive intent.

http://allomerus.bandcamp.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12