FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHawkwind - Warrior 2013 - Southampton Dec 2013

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hawkwind - Warrior 2013 - Southampton Dec 2013
    Posted: December 10 2013 at 13:02
Although I joined this site almost 10 years ago, my first ProgArchives review of a Hawkwind gig wasn't until 2006. But I've managed almost one per year ever since, I do believe, and I haven't keeled over just yet!

It's seldom that fans gather at a Hawkwind event knowing that it'll be probably the last time they see a particular set-list.  In February, though, Hawkwind will be dusting down the 'Space Ritual Alive' show, so Southampton last Friday saw what probably will be one of their last 'Warrior 2013' shows arrive in town.

Hawkwind in Southampton, 2013 -

However, set opener "The Awakening" will presumably survive the changeover... as will the next one, "Master of the Universe"! Tim Blake had earlier provided the support act, and was back on-stage near Dead Fred (keyboards) and Dave Brock.

Mr Dibs was the centre-of-stage performer, as is becoming customary, this decade. He got a lot of flak after taking over bass duties from Alan Davey in 2007, and his vocal abilities were critisised too. "He's no Bob Calvert," it was said more than once. Well, who is? - apart from Julian in Hoaxwind, of course, who's deliberately recreated the complete Calvert role as a tribute. No, he's grown into the frontman job, and seems to want to be the first Mr Dibs rather than the second Davey or the second Calvert... and he looks like he's enjoying it, too, especially during tracks like "Steppenwolf" and "Utopia".

At the Southampton gig, he did some lead guitar work during "Opa Loka" while Niall Hone handled bass. I wasn't actually counting, but bass duties seemed to alternate pretty much 50-50 overall. Niall also sometimes used an audio workstation (Ableton Live?) and also produced droning synth sounds from his bass guitar during a "Warriors" narrative. Other times, Niall handled lead and Mr Dibs bass.

Underpinning the engine section of Spaceship Hawkwind was drummer Richard Chadwick, who's been with the band for over 25 years now.

A tribute to Hawkwind guitarist Huw Lloyd-Langton in the form of "Dragons & Fables" was warmly greeted and his wife Marion, widowed a year ago, was able to make it to the show. Another early number was "The Only Ones," done in acoustic + band format. (Semi-acoustic?)

The entire "Warrior on the Edge of Time" album occupied the middle third of the set - and, yes, Dave Brock played acoustic for "The Demented Man." Interestingly, he seemed to vanish for some of the set, a while after... which reminds me: for some of the 'Warrior 2013' shows, sax player Michel Sosna has guested with Hawkwind. But not tonight, so the soundscape of the Southampton Warrior set was considerably different compared to, say, Hawkeaster earlier this year.

Newish set-revival "Reefer Madness" and the old-established crowd-pleaser "Hassan i Sahba" ("Assassins of Allah") rubbed shoulders with the 2012 song "Seasons" towards the end. It was a good show at a good venue!

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2013 at 14:29
Nice review, SA. How long was the overall show with encores, about 100 minutes?
sonic_assassin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2013 at 14:59
^
Ah, well... difficult to say, as I never wear a watch, and my camera battery conked out after 30 mins.  I'd guess the usual 90 or so mins, although a good Hawkwind gig always seems like it was far too short!

EDIT & update:

Just seen a HW YahooGroups comment that runs: "Storming show last night. Hawkwind on stage for nearly 2 hours."

So there you go, maybe I was spaced out, lol

Edited by sonic_assassin - December 10 2013 at 15:35
sonic_assassin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2013 at 05:04
Second half of Warrior album - you can hear Richard Chadwick call "Side two!" at the start:

And also some of Reefer Madness.  And here's the first item of the encore:

RSC View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2013 at 12:50
I was at this gig, having also seen the 5 November performance in Hove. No sax player and no dancers either - no surprise, The Brook is not blessed with a big stage, as the pictures show.

My first Hawkwind concert was back in '84/5 at the old Ipswich Gaumont - it left me bewildered (or was that the 'passive smoking' ?  Wink  ), so much so that the Hove gig was my next encounter with the Hawks. Needless to say, I was sufficiently impressed to go back for more.

Sooooooooooo glad I did - "sonic_assassin" has if anything under-sold how damn' good Hawkwind were on the night. Whoever worked out the arrangements for this WOTEOT-inspired set has done a marvellous job! Whatever the controversies surrounding who plays or sings what, the performances from everyone were inspired - a worthy tribute to Huw on the first anniversary of his passing.

My biggest frustration? All those missing years between my first and second Hawkwind concerts - clearly time to play catch up, from now on.

If there are to be more "Warrior ... " concerts, do yourself a favour and go see them.
Matt-T View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2014 at 13:39
MY FIRST HAWKWIND SHOW, LIKE YOU, WAS iSPSWICH 84!!!!
Rockin rob View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2014 at 02:43
The first time i heard hawkwind was off of an eight-track tape back in the late seventies and it just lit up my ears! i can just imagine with all the technology and years of playing how good they sound these days.I have attended over one hundred and fifty music events and always seek out obscure and exciting bands. i will put hawkwind on my priority list of must see shows!
chrisgooding View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2015 at 07:51
Did anyone see their gig at Ewell Tech? You could barely see a thing that place was that full of mist. 
Snufkins 3rd Ear View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2015 at 17:37
First saw HW in 1979 at Worthy farm, Pilton with (i think 'the only ones'??) then worked with them in 1980 on the Levitation tour. Had the dubious pleasure of being harrassed by Ginger Bakers famous terrier.. and getting a drum-stick being thrown at my head for the botherOuch. Then saw at Glastonbury 1980,  North Devon 'Snapper fayre' with 'Mother Gong' in a tiny tent.. Saw them at least 5 or 6 times (and often more) every year from then on up till the Bob Calvert celebration/ family fundraiser gig at Brixton academy. Decided to take my son to see HW on the 'warrior..' tour in Bath- he laughed LOLpretty much all the way.. as a metalcore/ djent fan he just cant understand their loose 'jammy' style and the Moorcock/ turner poems.. but he really respects them for for their work to support 'Sea Shepherd'Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply