FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHawkwind - Space Ritual 2014 - Shepherd's Bush

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hawkwind - Space Ritual 2014 - Shepherd's Bush
    Posted: March 02 2014 at 09:04
It's a strange situation that the people best placed to perform old material are sometimes reluctant to do it. What better band than Hawkwind to perform oldies like the "Space Ritual" album? But they don't want to be tarred with the "tribute" brush, and that's why the SR gig in London recently was a one-off and they're not going to tour it.

All the rehearsals and preparations, for just one show! The 'full dress rehearsal' down in Seaton (Devon) the day before the London show was open to Hawkwind passport holders, giving fans the opportunity to see some behind-the-scenes activity - such as when they did several tests of the "Down Through the Night" intro, sandwiched between two run-throughs.

Anyway, Shepherd's Bush 22nd Feb was a great show, and demonstrates that the old buggers have still 'got it' -  they performed "Space Ritual" in a 2014 way, rather than do some sort of note-for-note reproduction of the 1972 recording. That's similar in approach to their 2013 Warrior tour, where (for example) the performance of "Warrior on the Edge of Time" sometimes didn't have, nor need, a saxophone player.

One considerable difference between 1972 and 2014 was the proggy-type keyboards done by Dead Fred, formerly of Inner City Unit, giving it an exciting edge. And Sonic Attack was voiced by Brian Blessed (in absentia, though). And the main guitar sounds were split between several people. Also, the dancers were clad!

But it was Hawkwind switching on the cosmic energy, and that's what the audience wanted.

The event was billed as Rock4Rescue, in aid of various animal help-groups, including Team Badger and dog rescue organisations, and some addresses and promo films were shown at the event. Also, Hawkwind performed two sets.

The early one (at 8pm) included Sentinel, Opa Loka, Reefer Madness and Spirit of the Age. The main set was Space Ritual, from start to finish. And then Silver Machine as an encore. So that was well over two hours of Hawkwind, then!

Mr Dibs continues his development of 'Hawkwind front man' role, with a  commanding stage performance. Tim Blake seemed busier than ever operating most of the 'swooshy bits' department. Richard Chadwick worked up a sweat on the drums, and also did some backing vox. Nial Hone did much of the bass in his enigmatic and non-flamboyant way. And Dave Brock was just Dave Brock, really.

A pretty special night, then!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2014 at 11:42
Hi,

I realize that people are getting older, but in many ways, I'm saddened, that I will never have a chance to see these things, and the videos are simply not there, and the relevancy of a lot of these bands and their work is getting diminished by the day.

Sorry. On my death bed, I might catch this band in concert! Not that I need to see them again, after seeing them twice in the early days, but I can't imagine that travelling the world for these folks to get to a venue that will only have 100 people is not worth it anymore.

And the music loses its importance along with it!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2014 at 12:57
Oh I must keep up with things. Would love to have gone to that.

Anyway! Brian f**king Blessed!? Wot really! God imagine if he actually turned up to do it - marvellous.
Help me I'm falling!
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2014 at 16:26
Originally posted by sonic_assassin sonic_assassin wrote:

Also, the dancers were clad!

There was only one Stacia. At a height of about 6'4'' and with massive breasts she was like a Mother Goddess. No-one compares to her.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2015 at 15:29
This gig is being released soon on CD and DVD.
rotten hound of the burnie crew
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2015 at 07:31
Yep, Brian Blessed. 
This after a dalliance with Sam Fox and Lene Lovich.

No further questions, m'lud. :-)

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 12:24
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

This gig is being released soon on CD and DVD.

Is that a joke?

I would buy it ... not because I need to blow out the wax in my ears at 64 ... but while SR was too loud at the Santa Monica Civic on their 1st tour (I think), in the end ... it was quite enjoyable all around. I still think that album (the real one!!!) is one of my favorites!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 12:25
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

Yep, Brian Blessed. 
This after a dalliance with Sam Fox and Lene Lovich.

No further questions, m'lud. :-)

NP: Lene Lovich - I think we're alone now
www.pedrosena.com
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2015 at 05:32
Stacia, by the way, is now an arteest. She has her own sculpture site. And is seemingly embarassed about her prior life in Hawkwind. If you drop her a mail saying "Hi Stacia, I remember you in Hawkwind", there's no reply. If you say "How much for a sculpture ? " - different matter. 

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 09:24
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Originally posted by sonic_assassin sonic_assassin wrote:

Also, the dancers were clad!

There was only one Stacia. At a height of about 6'4'' and with massive breasts she was like a Mother Goddess. No-one compares to her.

She really tore it up in the first time here in America, and folks in the audience were amazed to see a woman do this and thought it was just a joke, only to find, later, that it was a part of the show!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply