Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe New Jethro Tull Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2015 at 17:50
These songs make tull the best band of all. They have so many of them

Edited by dr prog - June 03 2015 at 17:51
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2015 at 19:25
Good godmother could be easily in the side A of WarChild, such a great track.
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
progrockdeepcuts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2015 at 00:20
Ah WarChild. What an album. The non album cuts are as good as the stuff that actually made the record!

Listen to older shows here: mixcloud.com/progrockdeepcuts/
the lighthouse keepe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2015 at 05:04
Took me a while to fully appreciate Warchild.Very similar to Too Old To Rock N Roll:Too Young To Die! Good albums,but not Tull at their very best!
"Hello sun.Hello bird.
Hello my lady.
Hello breakfast.May I buy you
again tomorrow?"
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2015 at 07:31
What annoys me in WarChild is that the b side is almost perfect - song by sogn and their disposition... but the side A... there something strange there... :/
Gully Foyle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2015 at 08:18
Warchild is an odd step, but I think a key piece of Tull - it is a strong 2nd tier album (and i'd say only TAAB, Minstrel, Songs, Benefit, Stand Up are 1st tier).

Same with Too Old - actually a great album, though the overproduced and bland title track knocks the whole thing down a peg.  That said, Salamander is one of the very best songs they did in my book.
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2015 at 10:01
Originally posted by Gully Foyle Gully Foyle wrote:

Warchild is an odd step, but I think a key piece of Tull - it is a strong 2nd tier album (and i'd say only TAAB, Minstrel, Songs, Benefit, Stand Up are 1st tier).

Same with Too Old - actually a great album, though the overproduced and bland title track knocks the whole thing down a peg.  That said, Salamander is one of the very best songs they did in my book.

Aye.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2015 at 12:05
I remember when the band changed their approach to composition. It all began with "Thick As A Brick" and then A Passion Play , War Child, and Minstrel In The Gallery. Aqualung was a transition into this new concept of writing, but also carried influences of the earlier albums like Benefit and Stand Up. This particular change in their music , I think to be their dark period. Some of the compositions cross into the complexity of Gentle Giant and Gryphon. The Chateau D'herouville sessions is from another planet and has an avant-garde approach theatrically. Some of the guidelines applied in the structure of the music..are typically experimental methods used when composing a dark theme/mini opera revolving around the subject of Satan.

King Crimson utilized and developed the same process between 69' and 71'. When composing a dark theme...personal ideas of your own must be experimented with to transform into odd time signatures. Sometimes the notes arrive first and later it is decided if a quirky time signature can be applied. It's a long process because there are obviously several sections of the music...not yet created...but in the back of your mind and you should record your bits and piece what arrives to you later....with those small signature lines to form the epic or mini opera. This specific period of Jethro Tull was not exactly present on "Too Old To Rock N' Roll" and "Songs From The Wood". I mean....part of it was there and the other half of the end product was somewhere else. Songs From The Wood was very progressive , but the magic of composing something dark wasn't on the agenda like it used to be.

"Stormwatch" was a return to a darker subject, but it contained a newer style that was evident on Songs From The Wood. From Thick As A Brick to Minstrel In The Gallery is their darkest period, their darkest work. The seriousness of the music and the sarcastic lyricism is from a dark world. It's just this one period of Jethro Tull's music in a box for people to observe. I've always been overwhelmed by this period of Jethro Tull.  

Edited by TODDLER - June 05 2015 at 12:05
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2015 at 19:45
^ I never found Tull to have composed 'dark' material (well, not in doomy sound and tritones etc.). Surely their 'coldest' is Stormwatch, but that has a dismal and very grey concept (and presentation) - and a song called Dark Ages
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2015 at 08:31
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ I never found Tull to have composed 'dark' material (well, not in doomy sound and tritones etc.). Surely their 'coldest' is Stormwatch, but that has a dismal and very grey concept (and presentation) - and a song called Dark Ages

Tritones are on A Passion Play. "Sealion" and "Black Satin Dancer" both contain more dark black dots than anything imaginable on Stormwatch. Passion Play contains sections which are similar to early Gentle Giant...but not doomy K.C. or Univers Zero. 
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2015 at 10:45
Passion Play is something of a dark comedy, I guess...

Humour is always a key factor for Tull - Anderson, Barre, Evans and Jeffrey Hammond stated that in interviews.

But I do strongly agree with you about the theatrically of the Chateau D'herouville sessions and A Passion Play itself (although less than the previous sessions). But the subject of APP is not Satan, its life, death and rebirth - Satan is the only character besides Ronnie Pilgrim that "speaks" in the Play, but he is not exactly the main theme.

Edited by GKR - June 08 2015 at 10:47
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2015 at 06:49
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Tritones are on A Passion Play. "Sealion" and "Black Satin Dancer" both contain more dark black dots than anything imaginable on Stormwatch. Passion Play contains sections which are similar to early Gentle Giant...but not doomy K.C. or Univers Zero. 
Yep - I hear the tritones, I get the Gentle Giant complexities. I even notice the dancer on the cover with blood dripping from the side of her mouth, but I still never get the 'dark' with Tull. Not arguing the point, just my perception of 'dark' is usually dodgey (negative/sinister/bleak/doomy.....) sounding, and Tull don't sound dodgey to me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123