16 [55.17%]
7 [24.14%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2018 at 16:39
^ Absolutely...Cristi is now one of the board icons and a good egg.

:)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2018 at 16:40
I would say Iommi has the higher musical quality to the amount of fingers ratio of the two.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2018 at 16:44
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

For Mick.....Btw....I'm currently enjoying Ys (one of your favorites) on my Shure headphones as we play these reindeer games.

oh hell yeah man...Beer

still sort of butthurt I didn't get the definitive review of that album in...  lord knows I might be its single biggest fan.. but I caught up in the lust of it kicking curve and drop dead smile... and forgot the warning to throw a prophylactic on first and be safe for she ain't clean man....

Il Balleto di Bronzo - Ys

Il Balleto di Bronzo's Ys is an unequivocal classic, and stands as one of the very best albums out of Italy, and perhaps among the finest examples of dark, heavy progressive. However, newbies to the Italian scene might want to approach this one with caution, since it can be tougher to get into than some of the other popular Italian works. This was one of the first Italian albums I got, and I was frankly unprepared for it. The pyrotechnic keyboards, thundering rhythms, the angular, punishing guitars and the abrasive vocals made for a work that I found initially dense and unrewarding. For an album that many have hailed as the best progressive rock album of all time, I was a little disappointed. Of course, I've come around by now, and certainly hold this album in high regard as one of the jewels of Italian prog, but that personal anecdote should serve as a caveat for those expecting to be blown away immediately, especially if not particularly predisposed towards the more dissonant branches of progressive rock.

Still, Ys is a complete monster. The music on here is thundering, cacophonous and simply unrelenting in its sheer, brute force. This also stands as one of the best keyboard-based albums of all time; Gianni Leone employs the full range of classic keys, from Hammond, Moog and Mellotron to piano and harpsichord, pitting them in savage, fiery duels that will absolutely tear your head off. These are contrasted against violent guitar riffs and surging basslines, making for a chaotic, mindbendingly complex ride. The music is punctuated by Leone's caterwauling operatic vocals, which are perhaps the toughest part of the album to get into, but are eventually endearing and nothing if not emotional. Take "Introduzione", an absolute beast of a cut that builds from volcanic climax to climax, as Hammonds and Moog duel it out for supremacy. Take the opening riff of "Epilogo," with its brilliant arpeggiated theme that simply bursts at the seams with intensity. The entire album is a series of mindblowing passages, with few spots of respite to be found. An indispensable Italian classic, without a doubt.

Excellent summation of Ys......love the bass lines....and keys....the vocals are a bit much but then so are Hammill's.  ;)
Currently listening to Palepoli......an Italian evening here in Indiana.....might make some spaghetti soon.
;)
Haquin
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2018 at 16:56
hitting the greats man.. 2 of my top 3 favorite prog albums ... make it to the third .. and the favorite of the 3 you'll get to the one review I think I did justice to...

I really am not a writer.. so I didn't do Palepoli justice.. but my capo sure did...

Review by Atavachron 
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator
5 stars One eventually gets it, this album, and why the 70s Italian scene was much more than pristine symphonics and precious cherubs. A few spins may be required though, and Osanna were not Banco. But they were terribly progressive and they rocked. The quintet also happened to be incredible musicians, it's just that they were a rebel-rock band first and made no apologies for that. 18 minutes of sheer heavy progdom is 'Oro Caldo', a raw jambalaya of moody atmosphere, experimental samplings, greasy garage dirt, and some flat out classic symphonic prog with a great-sounding mellotron - and other unique and wonderful synth sounds - from Lino Vairetti. Plus the hot flute riffs of Elio D'Anna, absolutely smokin' rhythm section Massimo Guarino (drums) and Lello Brandi (bass), and lo-fi blooz chunks of guitarist Danilo Rustici. But there is so much more going on here it could require months, maybe years, to sort it all out and fully absorb this recording. More than prog rock, with a pull toward the avant garde but never slipping too far away. The session has an inviting, casual tone wherein everyone is welcome to listen and even participate, deep dreams and strange parties abound, plenty of texture, sensuality and odd people... like watching an orgy but not sure if you should join in. The set reminds at times of modern theater as well (i.e. 'Hair'), but shouts out with heavy mercury and constant invention. 'Animale Senza Respiro' takes over for the second half as things really begin to come on. The drugs have kicked-in, man, and it keeps getting better with some ripping guitar and hot band interplay, D'Anna's disjointed saxophones, wild changes, and bathtubs filled with lysergic trips. It all climaxes with the melodic and powerful voice of Vairetti and a bit of insanity, and leaves the listener wondering what they just heard in a very good way. Fabulous, and recommended.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2018 at 16:58

what does being "a good egg" mean?. English is not my first language. :)

Edited by Cristi - March 04 2018 at 16:59
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2018 at 17:01
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

what does being "a good egg" mean?. English is not my first language. :)

it means a good personSmile. You can rest easy!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2018 at 17:02
a damn nice guy....  

to be honest .. I had no idea English wasn't your first ...hah...  take that as a compliment. 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2018 at 17:06
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

a damn nice guy....  

to be honest .. I had no idea English wasn't your first ...hah...  take that as a compliment. 

thanks, I will take it as a compliment :)
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

always nice to see a Mama Raff appearance.. out of the blue.... like an artillery shell you never hear coming....just like the old days. Umm hmmm...though in the old days she usually was to protect the poor moron I was taking apart...  and to give me a spanking. Oh the good old days of the site.  Raff the admin.. Micky the troublemaker.. oh those were the days..
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

^It means you are A-Ok,,,,,a good person and willing to have fun even  if it means taking a few hits.

Haquin
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2018 at 17:09
and on PA's...  the 'hits' mean we love you.. you only have to worry when we ignore you.
TexasKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2018 at 10:53
Apples to oranges. 
Voted Iommi. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123