Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHail The Sun for tech/extreme

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hail The Sun for tech/extreme
    Posted: March 29 2014 at 21:49
"Discovered" this band this morning via a video of someone playing along to their song "Eight Ball, Coroner's Pocket" on the Rocksmith learn guitar game.  Cool progressive post-hardcore band.  I know little of that scene, so not sure about comparisons, but I hear similarities to Between The Buried And Me and Scale The Summit.

Band members are:
- Donovan Melero / drums, lead vocals
- Aric Garcia / guitar
- John Stirrat / bass
- Shane Gann / guitar, vocals

They have one full length and one EP available on bandcamp.  They are currently working on a new full length, and also have over 10,000 likes on facebook, as well as a review on spuntnikmusic.com and elsewhere.

Their description of themselves from facebook:

"Hail The Sun is a progressive post-hardcore quartet who met in Chico, CA, while studying music technology. The overlap of influences throughout the group has led them to become one of the most dynamic and intricate musical acts to come out of the scene in decades. Formed by drummer Donovan Melero and guitarist Aric Garcia (who played in a death metal band in high school), the original idea for the musical direction was to remain high-energy, while allowing melodies and harmonies to be a prominent feature, rather than just screaming to portray intense emotion. The addition of Shane Gann and John Stirrat brought additional flavors, and the group began to stretch its creative legs, allowing itself to write parts and songs that were much more heavily influenced by jazz, funk, blues, fusion, and Latin musical styles.

The group has toured extensively throughout its three-year existence, and has recently begun experiencing national exposure. They have one of the most high-energy live shows ever witnessed, and that's all while playing amazingly difficult lines and rhythms. Their drummer is their singer, which is a show in and of itself, and the addition of the other three acting as visual "frontmen," while not singing, lets the audience's attention move from here to there seamlessly, and without feeling bored."

Hail The Sun POW! Right In The Kisser!

POW! Right In The Kisser!  (2010)

1. Ready Or Not, There I Go (5:11)
2. Dinosaur, God Hates It When We Think (3:51)
3. Railmaster (4:12)
4. Sunny Day (4:06)
5. Orion (4:40)
6. There's Plenty Of Fish In The Sea (Too Bad You're Not A Fish) (4:25)
7. Sleep Now, And Forever Wet Your Dreams (5:38)
8. Crying Is Only Manly If Splinters Come Out (5:46)

Total Time 37:49

Hail The Sun Elephantitis

Elephantitis  (2012)

1. Ow! (SPLIDAO!) I Like It, Though (5:41)
2. Testostyrannosaurus (4:52)
3. Dead Messages (3:59)
4. Will They Blame Me If You Go Disappearing? (5:37)
5. Eight-Ball, Coroner's Pocket (5:10)

Total Time 25:19

Edited by infocat - March 30 2014 at 13:35
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2014 at 04:48
Sound very close to Stolas, a band we recently added in Heavy Prog. No metal here, a good candidate for HP though, thanks

EDIT: look at the first three influences in their FB page - At The Drive-In, The Fall of Troy, The Mars Volta Wink

Edited by aapatsos - March 30 2014 at 04:51
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2014 at 13:37
No metal?  I've been listening to metal most of my life; I guess I don't know what metal is.
In any case, HP is fine with me.

--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2014 at 06:14
^ sorry, I should have explained it better; they certainly have a heavy edge, but in terms of PA "categorisation" this seems to fit much better with HP, no intention to query your knowledge, was only making an observation.

They might end up in metal, what do I know... Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply