Topic ClosedMy Music

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Music
    Posted: June 11 2004 at 05:30

OK, I've bitten the bullet here, and started up a Yahoo! group. It's a bit vague, but I only really set it up so that I could share some music out. I'm a bit nervous about doing this, as I tend to write only what I feel - which is almost never the sort of stuff I would actually buy. I would totally appreciate your feedback on it!

To kick things off, I've posted one of the tracks that I've been working on recently - it's not very long, as me and the guy I'm working with decided to aim at the singles market to try and drum up a little interest in what we do.

It's actually a very condensed and roughly-mixed version of the orginal - and seems to have ended up sounding a bit Gabriel-like, although that wasn't the original intention! I'm particularly fond of the lyrics to this one, which I jotted down in about 10 minutes on a particularly damp and grey afternoon last November.

Trot on over, download and see what you think - and I may punish you with further tracks. What the hell - post a new topic if you like about anything to do with "the fine phenomenon that is music".

http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/Certs_Music_Appreciation/

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2004 at 09:53
I just updated the site with a couple more bits - you will need to become a member, but hey, I don't bite... hard!

Munchy
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2004 at 02:56

No members yet?

How about if I stick up "Assassing" from the 14th December 1984 Hammersmith Odeon set by Marillion, and then follow that with a new track from the gig - say at the rate of a track a week? You've GOT to hear the first public performance of "Misplaced Childhood" (most of side 1) - and the rendition of "Fugazi" is beyond awesome!

"Assassing" will be up there at some point today - the intro is a bit dodgy, as the tape has become a bit "chewed" over the years. It's a radio broadcast, so the quality overall is very good, and it's public domain - so you are not stealing from the artists (ie not a bootleg per se).

ENJOY!!!

5 minute solo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2004 at 12:26
Does it cost anything to become a member?
You want the spoon? You can't handle the spoon!
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2004 at 03:10

Not a dime - but so far I seem to be the only one who can download from it!

I've even tried creating a new Yahoo! user - and have been able to download, so it's not the user. I've downloaded from my work PC and from both of my main home PCs - all successful.

I don't understand why no-one else can D/L - so I'm working on an alternative...

But feel free to join up and talk about whatever music you want - it'd be an interesting test of how those Yahoo! groups work. They look fairly crummy to me, but maybe something useful can be done with it! I'm not into X is crap Y is FAB type discussions - I prefer Y is FAB because... (insert technical/lyrical/waffly discourse here).

Hope you can D/L the tracks - they're still very sketchy, but we're constantly recording, re-mixing and re-producing. ATM I think we need production tips - How do we get the guitars to sound more chunky, How can we get a more transparent overall sound to the production and How can we avoid over-compression???

5 minute solo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2004 at 13:14
To get the guitars to sound crunchier you should double track you're parts. Thats what Jimmy Page and Matt Beamy do and thier guitar parts sound huge.
You want the spoon? You can't handle the spoon!
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2004 at 17:11

Yeah - we already double track - perhaps if we stopped faking it by using copy and paste it might work better...

Post Reply Post Reply