Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRecommend the best Prog CD box set

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 01:28
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Both Genesis Archive Box Sets (1967 - 1975 and 1976 -1992)
ELP - From The Beginning (includes most of Mar Y Sol 1972 festival appearance)
Eloy - The Legacy Box (includes interviews in German but with English sub titles plus some great live footage)

Highly recommended. There's a fair amount of previously unreleased material to enjoy including an odd song called Oh My Father which appears to have been a Tarkus outtake (and sounds very similar in feel to Hey Joe, so was this a tribute to the recently deceased Hendrix and/or the singer's Dad?)

yes that's a gem of a track 

There is also a DVD of the BBC documentary from 1973 of ELP on their European tour. The clips of Pictures are amongst the best of ELP available. The speed (and accuracy) of playing has to be seen to be believed.
freyacat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 14:44
It might be out of print by now, but the King Crimson "The Great Deceiver" box set changed my life.  Such powerful, unpredictable music!

The new "Road to Red" boxset gives you much more material, but it is uneven.  "The Great Deceiver" was tightly organized and beautifully presented.   
sad creature nailed upon the coloured door of time
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 15:00
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Henry Cow - The Road Vol. 1-10
I've been trying to get this one for a while.

KC - The Great Deceiver is definitive.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Ruby900 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 09:27
Originally posted by freyacat freyacat wrote:

It might be out of print by now, but the King Crimson "The Great Deceiver" box set changed my life.  Such powerful, unpredictable music!

The new "Road to Red" boxset gives you much more material, but it is uneven.  "The Great Deceiver" was tightly organized and beautifully presented.   

This ^^^^^^^!
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman
melotron98 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 09:41
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Theres a stack of Prog box sets now and I was interested in any recommendations of some of the best. Heres some that spring to mind for me...

Studio Zünd

How I wish I had this amazing box set. :D In my country it is difficult to find Magma's albums to buy. Does anyone know is it still available in a store to buy?? Btw, I have new Yes box set with albums up to BG with mini-vinyl sleeves. But I'm not satisfied because in few of them CDs tend to fall out what is annoying. I think it may be also interesting

Nice box with best UZ's albums and Heresie with its first and best album cover (I don't like the new one). I don't know how SHM-CD works but this mini-vinyl edition looks pretty well Smile
prisonerno6 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2014 at 08:54
I was not much of a Genesis fan, but when my daughter bought me Genesis 1970-1975 box set and I gave it a listen, I became a huge early Genesis fan.
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2014 at 15:16
there should be an update for that list as The Studio Albums 1969-1987 by Yes along with the rest of the Sector box sets plus the new Atlantic one from Rush as well, all the Rush stuff im VERY interested in; already own the Yes box set since Tuesday, January 7, 2014 (yes i do remember the date as exactly one week earlier i bought it off of Ebay with most of my Christmas money) and its phenomenal despite the packaging flaws

anyway, out of those box sets, i would say the Genesis, Yes, and Rush box sets will do (and also don't forget the Blue Box from Genesis as that may interest you too kind of)

Edited by Michael678 - May 13 2014 at 15:17
Progrockdude
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2014 at 15:46
Originally posted by Michael678 Michael678 wrote:

there should be an update for that list as The Studio Albums 1969-1987 by Yes along with the rest of the Sector box sets plus the new Atlantic one from Rush as well, all the Rush stuff im VERY interested in; already own the Yes box set since Tuesday, January 7, 2014 (yes i do remember the date as exactly one week earlier i bought it off of Ebay with most of my Christmas money) and its phenomenal despite the packaging flaws

anyway, out of those box sets, i would say the Genesis, Yes, and Rush box sets will do (and also don't forget the Blue Box from Genesis as that may interest you too kind of)

I don't care about the Rush boxes, but I agree that the Yes box set is an essential acquisition, especially if a person doesn't own anything from this highly influential band. I agree, the packaging isn't the greatest, but you have look at what you're gaining in the transaction: all of their classic albums, remastered, and for a blowout price.

I agree that the Genesis 1970-1975 box is essential, but so is the 1976-1982 box. I wish I jumped on the Mike Oldfield Selection box when it came out, but it's out-of-print now and quite expensive.

The Pink Floyd Discovery set, despite whatever flaws someone may find with it, is an extraordinary deal. All of their studio albums for a great price. I bought mine for $128 off of Amazon Germany.

Edited by Mirror Image - May 13 2014 at 15:48
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12