Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed4 little gems (73)

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which one do you prefer ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [8.33%]
1 [8.33%]
8 [66.67%]
2 [16.67%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4 little gems (73)
    Posted: April 24 2014 at 17:12
April Orchestra : Vol 28
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPA6N2w_gsY

Love live life plus one : Love will make a better you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahxuumD0lDI

Pekka Pohjola : Harakka Bialoipokku
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM9VYfP5ORg

Tonton Macoute : St
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Rn8W6-1P8w
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 17:15

Love Will Make A Better You
Love Live Life + One Psychedelic/Space Rock

Review by DamoXt7942 
Forum & Site Admin Group Moderator / Psych / Avant / Neo Teams

4 stars (From PA blog "Japanese Progressive Rock presented by DamoX")

Honestly! I cannot help keeping my eyes and mouth open, touching this album by my ears.

LOVE LIVE LIFE, a Japanese psychedelic rock project, was a hotchpotch ensemble of talented rock musicians. Indeed you can imagine where this project should go as soon as you find the members, but, as I'm sure it's much important, this terribly terrific album could be produced not by LOVE LIVE LIFE, but by LOVE LIVE LIFE + ONE. Namely, Akira FUSE the vocalist could activate this project more and more I wanna say. Basically Akira is one of famous pop singers in Japan - he can remind almost all of Japanese a beautiful & plaintive ballad "Cyclamen No Kaori (Flavour of a cyclamen)" in 1975 - and currently for us Japanese it's beyond all imagination he could shout in such a psychedelic project. As if Percy Faith play rock (sorry).

Joking aside, without any suspicion he was the lead-off man of this project, not only plus one. Listen from the beginning, and feel the first track The Question Mark by your skin. Akira's whisper "I'm a human being, I'm a human." can take us over our surrealistic pillow to another psychedelia. And here come aggressive battles between a dry & metallic guitar, a keen and crazy flute, and incoherent but strict drums. What can let them play not only ramblingly but steadily? I do suggest they should feel the air - by their eyes and their ears, and especially their mind, feeling. Call the air "the spiritual force". Understand enough. Of all instruments, I consider, particularly Kosuke ICHIHARA and Toshiaki YOKOTA's flute duo can boil their psychedelic spirit, with the crazily eccentric wave and stream. And Kimio MIZUTANI's shocking-breaking guitar sounds must knock us out completely. We can be enough pleased by only this song aka jack-in-the-sounds.

After this song (that is, on B side of LP), Akira's voices are very cool but active. In the second track Running Free his voices are running like a cool wind on the turntable. The plaintive violin solo and the strong brass section can make his voices stronger and sharper. The next eponymous track Love Will Make A Better You can be called as a "psychedelic funk" with as funky shouts as James Brown, as honestly I feel - his voices are so strong and aggressive that can force us to think so, in my humble opinion. His ability for a singer, not a pop artist, we can realize enough on listening to a mid-to-fast psychedelic rock ballad Shadow Of The Mind, as well as the previous track. Akira's bright and brilliant voices can be approved even with some special effects or altered tempo - he grasps the musical ground by his fantastic vocal cord. The last slow bluesFacts About It All can make our sensuous stomach completely full - full stomach by a ballad singer with another way of singin'...wonderful!

Once again I say; PLUS ONE is so important.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ody2U9X483M

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 17:19

April Orchestra Volume 28

[from wikipedia] Jirí Stivín (born 23 November 1942 in Prague) is a Czech flute player and composer. He graduated from the Film Faculty of the Academy of Performing Arts in Prague (FAMU). He also studied composition at the Royal Academy of Music as well as at the Prague Academy of Music (AMU). Some of his compositions are featured in this album by April Orchestra. This seems to have been an easy-listening type orch. that published all kinds of dross over the years. Surprisingly there is no wikipedia entry for it, and only a brief one for Mr. Stivin. Note that the April O. Volume featured on Stivin's website, oddly enough, is not the same as this one. However, as pure music, this record has provided me personally with no end of enjoyment, listening to it again today I can go without hitting the fast forward button excessively, which is saying a lot after spending the last 10 years (with 4 year break) listening to an average of 5 albums per day, cumulatively, about 10,000. (Could it really be that few??) The fact that this otherwise ordinary orchestra could produce something so advanced in 1978 is a testament again to the progressive nature of the times.

We start with the Stivin Sanguine humour composition (which is taken from his zodiac album, a progressive masterpiece). It has a string quartet opening that shows his academic training, leading to an odd piano-comped flute ditty. The second track starts with a blues intro but swiftly leads into some insane horn chords and then an ingenious chromatic riff, basically big band meets king crimson perhaps. Next track uses wah wah trumpet on top of C minor, relatively throwaway, as is the next song. Many would love these 'funk breaks' I think but for non-prog reasons. On track 5 we get some twilight zone dissonances and then some early seventies style riffs. Track 7, Festival, has some Charlie Mingus touches. The next one "More Klidu" again feels like it belongs to an earlier epoch, with the breathless Nouvelle Vague female vocals singing on top of a very soft electric piano obbligato, the melody seconded by a bassoon (?) of all things. Very interesting arrangement. What a shame this track was not developed further into a pop song. Cholerici is again a Stivin composition from Zodiac, some really interesting violin sweeps in the string quartet appear with some clarinet (?) melodies and dissonant chords off the harpsichord. This is the kind of track that kills me because it's not performed in lieu of Brahms (or more appropriately Bartok) at the local symphony or chamber orchestra. Mr. Stivin obviously spent quite some time writing this piece and what credit does he get for it in the annals of music? Just some silly paragraphs on a blog in the virtual blogosphere.
More funky tracks ensue, another wordless female track in "sen o zemi" this time with some really interesting orchestral strings accompaniment-- reminds me a lot of Joachim Kuhn in the cinemascope period, or Abraxis (Belgian) with the really colourful mixture of orchestra, piano, and vocals in an accessible (easy-listening-style) format. The last track sounds like a jazz q song, probably someone annoying can correct me here. They again use the minor second for that devilish sound that prog (and fusion, Urbaniak and Mahavishnu) loves so much, how many songs do you hear start with an electric guitar doing the minor second arpeggio on a minor chord? Always we sit back and pray that it doesn't turn into a song with E minor then F major over and over again, that gets so boring when there's only 2 chords in the entire song. At least 2 chords is better than german trance stuff where typically we never get past the E. At least try a different key, guys, maybe B minor, for a change.

I wish there was more information to be found on this whole album other than my own solipsistic interpretation of it through little earbuds but of course to me that doesn't matter at all, the only thing that matters to me is that this music be heard by more people, the maximum in fact. Prognotfrog.

Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 21:09
That Pekka album is incredible, a trip into the forest.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2014 at 01:22
True, but 5 votes already ! Never had 5 votes in all my life LOL
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2014 at 02:31
The thieving magpie is not a "little" gem.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2014 at 02:36
I agree,but the magpie is not a big bird. Big smile

zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2014 at 02:42
Not surprised to see all the PP votes; I doubt most voters listened to the other samples.

Realistically, I probably like the Pekka album the most (the only one I was familiar with), but I gave my vote to Love Live Life + One. Interesting stuff.
Magma America Great Make Again
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2014 at 03:12
I agree with your comments, Z. 

Thumbs Up for LLL. The Damo reiview was so full of passion that I couldn't resist to this weird japanese band. As you say, very interseting... and different Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2014 at 15:33

When it comes for proggy British jazz rock, you can't get much more obscure than this! Tonton Macoute released their only album in 1971 on RCA's Neon subsidiary, a label no stranger to jazz as well as prog, like Chris McGregor's Brotherhood of Breath, Mike Westbrook, Spring, Indian Summer, Raw Material, The Running Man, and others.

The music here includes vocals, sax, flute, electric piano, Hammond organ, bass and drums. "Just Like Stone" is a ballad, it didn't impress me on first listen but isn't bad. I really like how it improves with the next pieces "Don't Make Me Cry" and "Winter" with this nice jazzy psychedelic vibe going on. "Dream" is more of a psychedelic piece sounding strangely more 1968 than 1971. "You Make My Jelly Roll" pretty much straight on jazz, while the last one, "Natural High" is a great proggy two part piece, with some classical influences, as well as jazz. This type of British jazz rock is different from the Colosseum school of jazz rock or the Canterbury school, such as Soft Machine, and I have a difficult time comparing these guys with anyone else, which is fine with me. Too bad this was their only album, but a nice one to own, especially for those looking for off-the-beaten-track stuff.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2014 at 03:52

The one thing I love about Progressive Rock in the 1970s is the sheer amount of music created, most of which is still virtually unknown to most of us even to this very day. It seems as though you could really keep discovering amazing obscure music from all over the world made during that decade and never run out of new music to hear for the rest of your life. Take, for example, Pekka Pohjola. This Finnish born musician/composer could have become recognized as one of the all time greats in a parallel universe. In our currently reality, however, he is probably best known to us in the English speaking western world as a member of Mike Oldfield's 1978 touring band. To others he is known as the bass player in the Finnish Prog band Wigwam in the early 70s. For my own interests, it is his work as a solo artist which strikes me as his true claim to fame.

This album was released in the UK under the title B The Magpie. B, I assume, stands for Bialoipokku. This instrumental album probably does recall another vocal-less Prog album that follows the trials and tribulations of a bird. It actually beat Camel's Snow Goose to market by a year and, in my mind, while similar in certain regards is actually far superior to its better known counterpart. You would be surprised to know that this was only Pohjola's second album as a solo artist. The jazzy brass arrangements and jaw dropping bass playing sound like the work of a seasoned pro.

The story, as far as I can tell, follows Bialoipokku the magpie from his birth, through some sort of great battle, to a kind of upbeat post-war conclusion. I really don't know. It's an instrumental album after all. It really doesn't matter. The music is the real charm here. The album opens on an almost melancholy note with some sad piano chords. Pohjola, while later on proving to be an excellent and varied multi-instrumentalist, handles the piano and bass playing on this album. The second track introduces the brass section. The tempo increases as the main theme of the album plays, and my goodness, what a theme it is. Catchy and uplifting. Anyone who is even remotely interested in the fusion of rock and jazz must check this out.

The real instrument-star of the album is Pohjola'a bass guitar. The guy has some real skill in laying down some thick and lush rhythm throughout, driving the album forward. Just listen to the bass under the sax solo on the album's centrepiece track: Bialoipokku's war. It's jazzy. It rocks. The bass steps into the spotlight on The Madness Subsides. Any doubt that this guy is a master bassist just need to check out the places he is able to take the instrument during the solo. Very very impressive stuff.

If there is any flaw in this album, in my mind, it would have to be that it all ends much too soon. Clocking in at just under 37 minutes, I always feel the need to start the album again once it comes to a conclusion. If you're a fan of the aforementioned Snow Goose and you don't have this album, you have a void in your collection that needs to be filled immediately. Harakka Bialoipokku is a charming, catchy and impressive album that really needs to be heard by just about any fan of instrumental Prog Rock.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2014 at 05:23
I gave my vote (the one and anly) to Tonton Macoute. A real interesting album with great sax and flute improvisations. Need to be listenned from start to finnish.  Big smile
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2014 at 05:41
The last two cuts on that Tonton Macoute album are superb. The ending piano and brass section gets me every time:)
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2014 at 07:28
Thanks David for those precious words. Heart That's why I prefer to post a song rather than a whole album. But this time I  had no choice. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply