Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedgreetings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: greetings
    Posted: June 13 2014 at 09:43
Been checking out this site on and off for the past year and signed up an account. Don't know if I'll be active much, but lately have been interested in finding some new bands to listen too.

For this site, the "math" in my screen name does not mean I listen to math rock. it refers to my profession as I am a writer/editor of math content for educational products.

I guess my preference in prog is symphonic to cross-over. I started listening back in the early 80's where a local radio station had one-two hours on Sunday nights dedicated to prog and jazz fusion, which were mostly the "known" bands from that time, so Yes, Floyd, Genesis, ELP, Tull, KC, some Kansas, and some obscurer stuff on the prog side, but it was all from the DJ's personal collection (like I don't ever recall hearing Gentle Giant on his program). Fusion seemed to be a lot of Jeff Beck, Mahavishnu Orchestra, and early Journey, as best I can recall. First time I heard of Marillion was off that radio program when side 1 of Misplaced Childhood was played, and it became my favorite album for the next year or two.

So bands listed in PA that I like include Yes, mostly Gabriel-era Genesis, Marillion, Rush, Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson, Riverside, Spock's Beard, King Crimson, Big Big Train, Tool, Pink Floyd, King's X.

My overall tastes range into all kinds of rock from classic rock to early 90's alternative, as well fusion and funk. I don't really care for labels so much as I like what I like. Labels make it easier to find other artists that I may like but even then, it's not an exact science.  What I listen to goes in phases - I hadn't listened to much prog in the 00's but recently started getting back into it. (I played Foxtrot for the first time in years, and played it 3 or 4 times as I had forgotten how good it was.) 
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 21:20
Hi--  a big welcome to PA
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2014 at 02:06
Welcome! 
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2014 at 02:27
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

I don't really care for labels so much as I like what I like. Labels make it easier to find other artists that I may like but even then, it's not an exact science.
That's my man! Approve Welcome to the party ... even if it has been a month.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - July 13 2014 at 02:28
 Post Reply Post Reply