Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMarillion's "Brave"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2014 at 18:03
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

I'd love if Marillion got someone to release a 5.1 surround sound mix of this album. If any album truly deserves 5.1, it's Brave. Just think of all the effects and different parts we would finally be able to hear in a song like Goodbye To All That or the title track? I get goosebumps just thinking about the possibility of something like this being released.

This is a lovely thought and I share the same feelings as you. You know, it's funny how more people aren't really aware of 5.1 audio formats or home cinema/receiver/amp set ups. It's one of the very best ways to bring out the life in your music and do an album it's true justice. The 5.1 market is a niche/luxury market still! I'm sure cost and the rising technology in movie theaters have negated people to buy their own sound system for their homes.
My point is I wish a 5.1 audio DVD was available and as common to buy as a regular CD. I know production costs are more to make these audio formats, but If the market was bigger we would not have scarce availability for these truly amazing formats via bit streaming. :)

Prog on nonetheless. Guess we will have to settle for Dolby prologic 2 or 5 channel stereo with DSP.

I'd love the possibility of owning more 5.1 surround sound prog rock recordings. I don't have my stereo quite set up for this audio treatment yet, but I'm working on it. I have seen Blu-ray audio discs starting to be released more now. Wasn't there a Yes Close To The Edge surround mix on Blu-ray not too long ago? I think Steven Wilson (surprise!) did the surround mix.

He did. Mr. Wilson has been a godsend for the audiophile by bringing some really great classic albums to full life!!
His work on King Crimson's ITCOTCK is phenomenal. Truly a beautiful 24/96k recording.

And yeah. Keep plugging away on sound equipment upgrades. Believe me it takes time cause its expensive getting some great stuff out there and having a solid sound chain. It took me years to afford all the wonderful sh*t I bought, but its so incredibly highly worth it. Take your time and do some research on what will fit your sound tastes best. Have fun.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2014 at 22:11
I've changed my mind about how I feel about Marillion. One of the major problems I have with them is their lack of a strong vocalist and the second problem I have either Hogarth or Fish just sing way too much. They never let music guide them and instrumental passages, in many cases, are plagued by either Hogarth's or Fish's constant warbling. These vocalists just can't keep their traps shut long enough for anything good to happen in the music. They're a distraction and I think this is why I think they'll never reach the heights of Genesis, Yes, King Crimson, or Pink Floyd. Steve Rothery is a great player, but I always wondered how he would fare in a different band or even maybe with a vocalist who has a better timbre and who understands the importance of instrumental passages. But I realize many people like their music and that's certainly fine but I've always wondered why I couldn't completely enjoy this band and the problems always come back to Hogarth or Fish. There's a time and a place for vocals, but Hogarth/Fish completely ruin so many good Rothery solos, but solos aren't enough to save this band's music. It's just not that impressive to me. 

Edited by Mirror Image - August 26 2014 at 22:13
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Billy Pilgrim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 05:44

I've changed my mind about how I feel about Marillion. One of the major problems I have with them is their lack of a strong vocalist and the second problem I have either Hogarth or Fish just sing way too much. They never let music guide them and instrumental passages, in many cases, are plagued by either Hogarth's or Fish's constant warbling. These vocalists just can't keep their traps shut long enough for anything good to happen in the music. They're a distraction and I think this is why I think they'll never reach the heights of Genesis, Yes, King Crimson, or Pink Floyd. Steve Rothery is a great player, but I always wondered how he would fare in a different band or even maybe with a vocalist who has a better timbre and who understands the importance of instrumental passages. But I realize many people like their music and that's certainly fine but I've always wondered why I couldn't completely enjoy this band and the problems always come back to Hogarth or Fish. There's a time and a place for vocals, but Hogarth/Fish completely ruin so many good Rothery solos, but solos aren't enough to save this band's music. It's just not that impressive to me. 

The exact reason I enjoy there music, Hogarths voice, and excellent lyrics, are the star of the show. Kinda nice to mix things up with some vocal driven music every now and then. What have you listened to from them, both eras?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 08:49
Originally posted by Billy Pilgrim Billy Pilgrim wrote:

The exact reason I enjoy there music, Hogarths voice, and excellent lyrics, are the star of the show. Kinda nice to mix things up with some vocal driven music every now and then. What have you listened to from them, both eras?

I've heard, and own, every studio album (multiple times) and I was into them at one point, but, as I stated before, I could never get completely into them because of the vocals. I don't think Hogarth's or Fish's voice is any good and more irritating than anything and, as I mentioned already, there's just way too much singing for my tastes.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 09:50
I enjoy both vocalists, but prefer H by a decent amount. I think both of them fit the mold during each period...very well. I don't think H would have been as good in the "Fish" era and vice versa...

I was watching Brave on Bluray the other night and my wife commented she thought H was a very good vocalist, a bit weird but good. I think the lipstick and eye-liner during the Brave show freaked her out

I explained he is just playing the album out..but he is very expressive for sure.

He is very melodic and has a lot of detail and subtleties to his voice. Just listen to Memory of Water on TSE, pretty intense and very soulful, bluesy influenced.

I like H
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 20:23
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I enjoy both vocalists, but prefer H by a decent amount. I think both of them fit the mold during each period...very well. I don't think H would have been as good in the "Fish" era and vice versa...

I was watching Brave on Bluray the other night and my wife commented she thought H was a very good vocalist, a bit weird but good. I think the lipstick and eye-liner during the Brave show freaked her out

I explained he is just playing the album out..but he is very expressive for sure.

He is very melodic and has a lot of detail and subtleties to his voice. Just listen to Memory of Water on TSE, pretty intense and very soulful, bluesy influenced.

I like H

Not only do I think he sings too much, but I don't like the timbre of his voice either. I don't know it just turns me off to the band in general. The same goes for Fish. Again, I think the other musicians: Rothery, Trewavas, Mosley, and Kelly are all talented, but I think they rely too much on the vocals to somehow lead the way, which is an approach I can't get onboard with. Anyway, different strokes for different folks.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 03:28
I'm just not a big fan of Fish, great stage presence but vocally not my bag at all.

On the other hand, h is just outstanding, he has it all.  He has probably the most emotional voice in prog and a great stage presence to boot.  He has so many amazing vocal performances in Marillion's catalogue which send shivers down my spine - Ocean Cloud, TSE, Out of This World to name a few.  I'll concede it took me time to appreciate Hogarth, but once he clicked - boom!  I was exactly the same with Jon Anderson many years ago too Embarrassed.

Basically I prefer Hogarth Marillion over Fish Marillion by the largest possible distance you could imagine (and I saw the band with Fish several times before they got the EMI deal).
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 09:28
Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

I'm just not a big fan of Fish, great stage presence but vocally not my bag at all.

On the other hand, h is just outstanding, he has it all.  He has probably the most emotional voice in prog and a great stage presence to boot.  He has so many amazing vocal performances in Marillion's catalogue which send shivers down my spine - Ocean Cloud, TSE, Out of This World to name a few.  I'll concede it took me time to appreciate Hogarth, but once he clicked - boom!  I was exactly the same with Jon Anderson many years ago too Embarrassed.

Basically I prefer Hogarth Marillion over Fish Marillion by the largest possible distance you could imagine (and I saw the band with Fish several times before they got the EMI deal).

I just don't like his voice and it's not really a question of time as I've tried to get into the band for the past 15 years, but, as I mentioned, Hogarth or Fish just irritate me more than anything while the music seems to take a backseat. Not my kind of prog band at all.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 10:21

I'm just not a big fan of Fish, great stage presence but vocally not my bag at all.On the other hand, h is just outstanding, he has it all.  He has probably the most emotional voice in prog and a great stage presence to boot.  He has so many amazing vocal performances in Marillion's catalogue which send shivers down my spine - Ocean Cloud, TSE, Out of This World to name a few.  I'll concede it took me time to appreciate Hogarth, but once he clicked - boom!  I was exactly the same with Jon Anderson many years ago too Embarrassed.Basically I prefer Hogarth Marillion over Fish Marillion by the largest possible distance you could imagine (and I saw the band with Fish several times before they got the EMI deal).

I just don't like his voice and it's not really a question of time as I've tried to get into the band for the past 15 years, but, as I mentioned, Hogarth or Fish just irritate me more than anything while the music seems to take a backseat. Not my kind of prog band at all.

I can understand why you say that. I mean a lot of people feel the same way about Jethro Tull with Ian Anderson's vockills. ;)

An aquired Taste indeed. I'm still working on trying to appreciate ELP.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 10:31

I'm just not a big fan of Fish, great stage presence but vocally not my bag at all.On the other hand, h is just outstanding, he has it all.  He has probably the most emotional voice in prog and a great stage presence to boot.  He has so many amazing vocal performances in Marillion's catalogue which send shivers down my spine - Ocean Cloud, TSE, Out of This World to name a few.  I'll concede it took me time to appreciate Hogarth, but once he clicked - boom!  I was exactly the same with Jon Anderson many years ago too Embarrassed.Basically I prefer Hogarth Marillion over Fish Marillion by the largest possible distance you could imagine (and I saw the band with Fish several times before they got the EMI deal).

Pretty much me here...Did not take me much time to enjoy his style of delivery. I struggled for years with Peter Hamill, still do but the music can pull the attention away from that voice of his...ughh!

In general I don't have any problem with Fish's voice.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 10:40
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Pretty much me here...Did not take me much time to enjoy his style of delivery. I struggled for years with Peter Hamill, still do but the music can pull the attention away from that voice of his...ughh!

In general I don't have any problem with Fish's voice.

My good friend! I had no idea that you felt this way about early Marillion. Thought you loved all of the Marillion machine.

Fish is definitely my cup of tea and far surpasses Hogarth for me. He is a true poet and one of the best lyric writers I know or have heard of.
Well anyway. Interesting to know man. ;)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123