Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2014 at 09:07
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

I generally don't approve of music which becomes physically violent with me.  TongueRumours is a great album, although at this point I've probably heard most of those songs a billion or so times.  So it doesn't get played often any more.  I'm more likely to play some of their other albums, their self-titled 10th album, Tusk, Mirage, and the albums from my favorite, but usually overlooked, era of the Mac,the Bob Welch years.

For the past few years my fav Mac album has been Bare Trees. Sorta rock, sorta pastoral, strange at times, but pretty cool.
I need to check out the post Green/pre Welch 'Kiln House' album someday...heard it's good.

Always liked Rumours, especially the first two tracks on side two.
Kiln House is quite different from anything else they did.  It's kind of a mixed bag, honestly.  It's dominated by Jeremy Spencer's 50's rock and roll pastiches.  And then there's great classic blues rock like "Station Man" and "Tell Me All the Things You Do" weaved in between.  Strange and cool, but inconsistent.  About as different from "Then Play On" as it could have been.

All the Danny Kirwan songs on Kiln House are quite good. The Jeremy Spencer stuff is more hit or miss. Still worth hearing for the Kirwan stuff and a few of the Spencer songs. I like Bare Trees quite a bit, although Future Games has been my favorite Mac album for quite some time now. Mystery to Me, the first post-Kirwan album is also brilliant. While I'm not quite as much into the Green years, Then Play On was brilliant as they moved from a straight blues sound to more of a blues rock sound.
Mystery to Me is a favorite of mine - John McVie and Mick Fleetwood play particularly well on that one, and Bob Welch's songs on there are top shelf.  I should point out, though, that "Penguin" was the first post-Kirwan album; I sometimes forget about it too.  They had the Savoy Brown singer (Dave Walker) for just that one album, and he never really fit in.  That album has its moments, though it strikes me as the work of a band that was drifting and looking for a new identity.

Edited by HolyMoly - June 26 2014 at 09:08
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2014 at 09:28
Penguin was definitely the least successful of the Mac albums released with Welch. Still there were some good songs on it. And I love all four of the other Welch-era albums. And you're right. I always forget about Penguin. Mystery to Me was the second post-Kirwan album.
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2014 at 11:52
Rumours has one of the best side 1's in all rock music, but goes downhill afterwards. Love it, but wouldn't quite get 5 stars. The background behind it is one of the best show business stories as well. Deserves all of those sales Tongue
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2014 at 12:46
Rumours is nice but Tusk is the classic in my opinion.  Their finest achievement from that line-up and probably one of my top 25 rock albums of the decade. 

I'm also with aka that Buckingham Nicks is a fab album.  Had that one on vinyl.  The story goes that Mick heard them recording that album in the studio and offered them the gig without even an audition. 

Someday I hope to write a 5-star review of Tusk for our non-prog thread. 

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2014 at 13:20
Rumours has its moments, but my fave Mac song is Kirwin's Woman Of 1000 Years.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2014 at 22:28
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Rumours has its moments, but my fave Mac song is Kirwin's Woman Of 1000 Years.
Great tune.....I was just talking about that track yesterday with a friend of mine (who is a Mac fan from the Green days).
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 23:26
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

It is a bona fide classic from one of the finest bands ever to stride this earth. I will never tire of listening to an album which has become the soundtrack to many people of a generation struggling with relationships and life.

Agreed. I'd only add that the previous album, Fleetwood Mac, is just as good. (Monday Morning, Rhiannon, Over My Head, Say You Love Me, Landslide, World Turning - brilliant!) Those two albums are amazing.

There's stuff out there that could fool Genesis fans into thinking it's a song by Genesis; there's tracks that sound like Floyd and Led Zeppelin et al, but aren't. But I've never heard anything by anyone that sounded like Fleetwood Mac during that period that could fool a hardcore fan. Weird...

Edited by jude111 - August 06 2014 at 23:33
overmatik View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 02:13
Rumours shows a band doing what they're best at and in the top of their game. The songs are great, vocals are all beautiful and the lyrics really match the mood of the music. I also always loved the bass in it.
"Wear the grudge like a crown of negativity. Calculate what we will or will not tolerate. Desperate to control all and everything. Unable to forgive your scarlet letterman."
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 02:18
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I find Fleetwood Mac to be hit and miss. Rumours is good but it's hardly earth shattering. Go your Own Way and The Chain are classics. The rest of the album has its moments but nothing grabs you by the nuts and swings you round the room. Don't Stop is drivel and makes me think of Bill Clinton. No need for that...

Digging the band more and more. Not a fan of British blues (unless it's mixed with folk), so I stick with their classic albums. You can really get to know an act better if you read their lyrics or watch their documentaries.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - August 28 2014 at 02:40
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2014 at 07:22
The Green years were groovy, but they really overplayed the Elmore James schtick.....the Peter Green-era BBC box set is living proof - some transcendent moments and a lot of the same old tired blues changes.  The Lindsay years were wildy successful, but a bit too "cocaine slick" for me.  They lost that earthy connection that the band always had.  

Which brings us to the Welch years from Future Games to Heroes - by far my favorite era of the band.  Time for a thread on Bob Welch & the Mac.

Edited by Intruder - August 29 2014 at 07:23
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2014 at 07:25
^ Makes me think this should have been called just a "Fleetwood Mac" thread.
MChPro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 05:35
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

It is a bona fide classic from one of the finest bands ever to stride this earth. I will never tire of listening to an album which has become the soundtrack to many people of a generation struggling with relationships and life.

Agreed. I'd only add that the previous album, Fleetwood Mac, is just as good. (Monday Morning, Rhiannon, Over My Head, Say You Love Me, Landslide, World Turning - brilliant!) Those two albums are amazing.

There's stuff out there that could fool Genesis fans into thinking it's a song by Genesis; there's tracks that sound like Floyd and Led Zeppelin et al, but aren't. But I've never heard anything by anyone that sounded like Fleetwood Mac during that period that could fool a hardcore fan. Weird...

Agreed. Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12