Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTop two personalities in prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 11:20
I'd have to say Robert Fripp for #1, as for #2 .. hmmm .. should I go for Bill Bruford, assuming it's not by sheer coincidence  that Yes and KC were at their peak while he was the drummer? 

Quite a few people mentioned Steven Wilson, but for some reason I can't listen to him for longer than 10 minutes at a time, and also he's been recycling too much of early King Crimson, Yes and Pink Floyd. 

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 11:45
Helmut Koellen-Six string guitarist/bassist/lead vocalist for Triumvirat

Dirk Steffens-Guitarist for Birth Control

Coincidentally, born just about two months apart, the music of these two German prog musicians is inspirational for me, personally, because their music is "from the heart", and speaks of a sincere and genuine approach to the prog art form. Both of their involvements are during the respective group's best periods, imo. That's it in a nutshell, I guess!
LSDisease View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 11:50
Keith Emerson
Ian Anderson

third would be Peter Hammill
"Du gehst zu Frauen? Vergiss die Peitsche nicht!"
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 12:03
Ian Anderson and Peter Gabriel.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 16:50
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Keith Emerson for his personality and making the organ 'mobile' when it was meant to be fixed to the floor. (oh and for his talent as well)

Carl Palmer has to be the other. Its terribly dull I know to pick two guys from the same band but I fantasised about playing that wonderful steel drum set with those massive gongs and all at an insane speed. Carl was also pretty ripped and very cool as long as he didn't speakWink

Hey Richardh, poor Greg Lake...  Btw I've been recently stunned by the incredible ELP's orchestral spirit, their music is awesome! and Lake's voice and style of singing is one of my favourites of all I have already listened of prog, great melodies coming out from that voice and lyrics in perfect harmony with the instrumental ones.

However it's still hard for me to pick just two favourite personalities in prog, and I didn't think about it yet.

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 18:15
Top two personalities in prog....Waters and Fripp.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
zachfive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 19:21
Mike Patton and Brain Eno

fringe prog but stellar personalities who always promote creativity.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 21:12
Kerry Livgren- I admire his compositional work.  He and Kansas fused country rock with progressive rock.  I admire him as a musician but also as a person.  I have always appreciated his grandiose arrangements and his humility.  He strikes me as a man of integrity, patience, and warmth.  I profited from reading his autobiography.  His more recent work with Proto-Kaw may go unnoticed, but it has his fingerprints all over it.

Neil Peart- The loudest and yet the quietest member of Canada's most popular rock band, one who penned some of the most thoughtful lyrics, still gives me things to think about while his associates conjure up the hard-hitting music that makes such cogitation always a pleasant affair.  His loss, a child and a spouse, both within a year's time, and what it took for him to return to the studio, make me conscious of how precious time is, whether that time is spent with your family, friends, or your own creative endeavors.
fudgenuts64 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2014 at 00:12

Fish - My favorite lyricist in prog, I absolutely adore his writing.

Steven Wilson - Tried so many different things stylistically and did them very well. 

EDIT - Gotta give a nod to, well, the classic lineup of Genesis. I like all of these guys, and it's hard for to pick my favorite. My biggest influence is definitely Tony Banks however.

Edited by fudgenuts64 - July 28 2014 at 00:14
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2014 at 00:33
Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Keith Emerson for his personality and making the organ 'mobile' when it was meant to be fixed to the floor. (oh and for his talent as well)

Carl Palmer has to be the other. Its terribly dull I know to pick two guys from the same band but I fantasised about playing that wonderful steel drum set with those massive gongs and all at an insane speed. Carl was also pretty ripped and very cool as long as he didn't speakWink

Hey Richardh, poor Greg Lake...  Btw I've been recently stunned by the incredible ELP's orchestral spirit, their music is awesome! and Lake's voice and style of singing is one of my favourites of all I have already listened of prog, great melodies coming out from that voice and lyrics in perfect harmony with the instrumental ones.

However it's still hard for me to pick just two favourite personalities in prog, and I didn't think about it yet.

2 into 3 doesn't go unfortunately

Glad you are enjoying them and Lake wrote some decent lyrics especially on Trilogy. Thumbs Up

Edited by richardh - July 28 2014 at 00:33
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12