Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAlbums You Don't Like That You Should

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2015 at 13:01
I always tried hard (although according to my Floyd-addicted husband not quite hard enough) to really like Pink Floyd but the only album I enjoy is WYWH.  I'm okay with DSOTM and the Wall, and actively dislike the rest of them.

Mostly I don't mind not liking music - it's just a question of taste, after all - but for some reason not liking PF has always bothered me. 

Edited by emigre80 - April 16 2015 at 13:01
King Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2015 at 13:38
I really love Spock's Beard, but I just don't get Snow. A lot of folks on PA rave about it. Snow is the only Spock's Beard I rarely ever listen to and when I do, I constantly press SKIP.
Anglagard's Hybris and Epilog get a lot of praise. My own younger brother whom I infected with the Prog Virus is totally over the moon about those albums. I don't get it!

I recently got to listened to the hyped album Belighted by iamthemorning. Really!? That's supposed to be a Five Star Album in the opinion of quite a few reviewers!? I had to really force myself to not constanly drift off in total boredom listening to it.

Bands I don't get into: King Crimson, Mars Volta, Magma, Porcupine Tree, Steven Wilson, Tool ...
Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2015 at 11:40
I really want to get into GENTLE GIANT....I should...I'm a prog rock fan for God's sake! I play one of the albums every few weeks... but try as I might, beyond a few tracks (such as 'On Reflection') I really struggle to enjoy them as much as I should. Sorry guys.

“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2015 at 12:55
"Albums You Don't Like That You Should" indicates to me that I shouldn't trust my own judgment, and instead rely on external views to temper my opinion. If I don't like something, I simply don't like it, and I will give valid reasons for rejecting the things (in this case albums) that I don't care for. I'm stubborn that way. LOL
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Bitterblogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2015 at 13:09
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

"Albums You Don't Like That You Should" indicates to me that I shouldn't trust my own judgment, and instead rely on external views to temper my opinion. If I don't like something, I simply don't like it, and I will give valid reasons for rejecting the things (in this case albums) that I don't care for. I'm stubborn that way. LOL
Of course, the title is meant to be provocative. To me, it means that in the case of a preponderance of listeners rating a particular album highly, outliers stand out somewhat, and the OP is soliciting which albums those are for which listeners in order to foster discussion and, possibly, comparison.
sublime220 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2015 at 15:35
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

I really want to get into GENTLE GIANT....I should...I'm a prog rock fan for God's sake! I play one of the albums every few weeks... but try as I might, beyond a few tracks (such as 'On Reflection') I really struggle to enjoy them as much as I should. Sorry guys.
I used to not like them. Then I listened to Octopus for four hours straight. Now my favourite album ever Thumbs Up
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2015 at 20:36

I interpreted it as "Albums you don't like that you feel you should" or in other words, an opinion that is contrary to the esteem in which a particular album is held, or the fact that it falls into the "I like X so I really ought to like Y but for some reason don't" category.  I know people whose musical taste I share (well, to a certain extent) that adore Pink Floyd, and I can really see why those people enjoy them so much, but they have just never moved me.  It would certainly be more convenient if I learned to love them, as my husband listens to them so often. Viewed that way, the thread makes more sense.

well, to me anyway - that doesn't mean it makes more sense to anyone else.Confused
progrockdeepcuts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2015 at 20:57
I can't, for the life of me, think of a single album I *should* like. :)

Listen to older shows here: mixcloud.com/progrockdeepcuts/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2015 at 21:34
Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

I interpreted it as "Albums you don't like that you feel you should" or in other words, an opinion that is contrary to the esteem in which a particular album is held, or the fact that it falls into the "I like X so I really ought to like Y but for some reason don't" category.  I know people whose musical taste I share (well, to a certain extent) that adore Pink Floyd, and I can really see why those people enjoy them so much, but they have just never moved me.  It would certainly be more convenient if I learned to love them, as my husband listens to them so often. Viewed that way, the thread makes more sense.

well, to me anyway - that doesn't mean it makes more sense to anyone else.Confused
Oh, I understand the concept clearly enough, m'lady, I just don't want to play along.Wink
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
Matthew _Gill View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2015 at 03:52
I'm a massive Genesis fan, and rate them 2nd to Pink Floyd as the all time greatest but Selling England by the pound, it has some nice moments but Epping Forest and I know what I like are two of the all time worst songs. 

I really can't see why people rate it so highly. 
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2015 at 07:07

Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

Oh, I understand the concept clearly enough, m'lady, I just don't want to play along.Wink
Someone always has to come along and spoil the fun.  Not mentioning any names. Geek
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2015 at 07:35
Originally posted by progrockdeepcuts progrockdeepcuts wrote:

I can't, for the life of me, think of a single album I *should* like. :)

What he saidThumbs Up. To paraphrase a well-known Genesis song, I like what I like, and definitely believe that personal taste trumps everything else.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2015 at 10:07

Must be something in the water up there in Michigan........hope it doesn't trickle down into Indiana.

Wink

ps: I actually feel basically the same way....I rarely go on others opinions about music and either I like it or I don't.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2015 at 10:19
Is it bad that I prefer Abacab and Duke to Trick and Wind?
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2015 at 10:32
Originally posted by sublime220 sublime220 wrote:

Not imo....this whole thing we discuss here on PA is completely subjective so there is no bad or good about what one likes or dislikes.
Smile
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2015 at 10:35
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Not imo....this whole thing we discuss here on PA is completely subjective so there is no bad or good about what one likes or dislikes.
Smile
Ok good. I was afraid M@X was going to take my prog card away. Then I'd have to go to a hip-hop forum *shudders*
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2015 at 14:46

Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

I used to not like them. Then I listened to Octopus for four hours straight. Now my favourite album ever Thumbs Up

Thanks for the advice and encouragement, sublime220 - 'Octopus' here I come! Clap
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2015 at 15:11

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Smile
Ok good. I was afraid M@X was going to take my prog card away. Then I'd have to go to a hip-hop forum *shudders*

someone already tried to take my prog card away. No worries, it's an empty threat. 
Green Shield Stamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2015 at 19:25
'Hemispheres' by Rush. This is one of my least favourite albums by the band. Yet it is one of their most highly rated on Prog Arcihves.
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2015 at 19:27
Originally posted by Green Shield Stamp Green Shield Stamp wrote:

'Hemispheres' by Rush. This is one of my least favourite albums by the band. Yet it is one of their most highly rated on Prog Arcihves.

I believe it is quite within reason for you to despise any Rush album you'd care to mention.Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567