Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Wilde Flowers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Wilde Flowers
    Posted: July 09 2014 at 05:04
I never hear much about them on this website, so I thought this thread ought to be made. For those who don't know who they are, they were a very early "proto-prog" band that formed in 1963/64, but never produced an album (apart from a compilation in 1994). They were really the first band to emerge from the Canterbury Scene, introducing the likes of Soft Machine and Caravan from their departure in '67. Their music was not as adventurous as these successors but nonetheless they deserve more credit. 

What's your opinion on The Wilde Flowers, and do you agree that they're too underrated in the world of prog rock?
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2014 at 10:35
I enjoy most of the Wilde Flowers CD, even though it's not really prog at all.  The first track, a later remake of "Impotence", is the closest thing to prog on there, and it's probably the best song too.  The last third or so of the CD is another band entirely (Zobe) that Brian Hopper was involved with, and that stuff drags the CD's quality down a bit.  Overall, the band is more interesting for who they were than what they did.  But as a nice obscure slice of lo-fi R&B, it's a fun CD to listen to.  If it had never been released, I would have spent my entire life wishing I could hear what they sounded like. Now I know.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
 Post Reply Post Reply