FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed70's albums with advanced sounding keyboards

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2014 at 16:43
Tony Banks did some great stuff with the new Polymoog synth on 1978's "And Then There Were Three."  Check out his polyphonic portamento strings at 1:14:

Edited by cstack3 - July 15 2014 at 16:44
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2014 at 16:59
Sorry, I have a tough time listening to that song in the middle of summer.   
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2014 at 17:18
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Tony Banks did some great stuff with the new Polymoog synth on 1978's "And Then There Were Three."  Check out his polyphonic portamento strings at 1:14:

^Good call, Chuck, love this!
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2014 at 23:14
No one better than Banks---these top acts had the best keyboard nerds around and keyboard companies giving them the newest innovations----they used to get advertising deals from some of these companies.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2014 at 03:35
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

I guess I should mention that I've met a lot of fans of electronic music who don't like Tangerine Dream as they find the band's music too technologically primitve, not to mention too closely rooted in psychedelic rock and classical to be "real electronic music".

I believe the reason for this is that TD's earlier ('70s) works are touted more vocally than the '80s period, particularly 1980-1985 when Johannes Schmoelling was in the band. If they heard the brilliance of Tangram, Exit, Poland: The Warsaw Concert and Le Parc, and their music for the films Thief, Wavelength, Firestarter and even Heartbreakers, they'd hear music that is anything but "primitive."

Huh. I thought TD were these days more well known for their film soundtracks than for their regular studio albums. There's definitely a generation gap that pre-Kraftwerk electronic music in general is on the wrong side of regarding younger listeners, though.

Not to mention even on their 1980s albums TD still use guitars and other traditional instruments, despite having switched to digitals synths.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2014 at 04:51
I know that many people don't like this song but the song contains great Banks' synth solos -  very advanced sounding synths back then in 1973.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2014 at 01:29
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Yep I love this

Familiar with this album?

Nope I've only just got that album by Space. My interest in synth music doesn't stretch much beyond TD, Vangelis, Neuronium and JM Jarre. I am admittedly a novice at this genre as Dean so tactfully intimatedLOL
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2014 at 01:40
I'd like to recommend CLUSTER's 71 the album from 1971. The album sounds not dated after 43 years.

This is a great review:

Quote 4 stars The first album from the newly abbreviated Cluster (after parting ways with Conrad Schnitzler) probably disturbed a lot of sensitive minds at the dawn of the 1970s, and it can still threaten your sanity when heard today. Softening their name from the more Teutonic KLUSTER didn't immediately change the music, if in fact this dystopian noise can even be classified as music, a debatable point even now.

The remaining duo of Dieter Moebius and Hans-Joachim Roedelius were known at the time for generating sounds instead of playing music, but what a sound it was. Harsh, atonal, abstract, mechanical, and more than a little scary: like the better German bands of that era providing the perfect sonic escape hatch from an unsavory national past. But the results were far removed from the interstellar meditations of other Krautrockers, even kindred cybernetic rebels like the embryonic TANGERINE DREAM, fellow travelers at the Zodiak Free Arts Lab in Berlin and related to Cluster through the common denominator of Conny Schnitzler.

Moebius and Roedelius weren't interested in exploring the cosmos; they were too busy dissecting their brave new electronic world from inside the machine, looking out. Even within the freewheeling musical landscape of the German counterculture this was pretty extreme stuff, shattering every convention of melody and rhythm, and daring the listener to pick up the pieces. Just when you imagine there might be a hint of some harmonic stability to grab hold of, the floor shifts again and that illusory safety net is pulled away, leaving you in exhilarating freefall once again.

My advice is to forget about the soft landing and simply go with the flow. It's not as if you have much of a choice: you won't even find a convenient parachute in the album name or track titles, which merely catalogue when it was recorded and the length of each segment.

One silver lining is that the album still sounds remarkably contemporary. Unlike other early experiments in electronic music this one hasn't aged a day in over forty years, partly because it avoids the easy clichés of the time: endless sequencer arpeggios and so forth. Later Cluster albums would follow a more user-friendly approach, but in 1971 their avant- garde edge was sharp enough to draw blood.

Neu!mann

Edited by Svetonio - July 17 2014 at 02:03
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2014 at 11:23
Cluster's "Hollywood" track is a must hear. One of the most
advanced uses of synths and electronic percussion in the 70s. 
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 05:57
Yes Tormato brought a significant change in Wakeman's keys sounds (which most people didn't approve).
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 07:51
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Yes Tormato brought a significant change in Wakeman's keys sounds (which most people didn't approve).
Heart Tormato''s synthesizers work as it created by Mr Wakeman. 
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 08:52
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Some of those keyboards were the latest technology that didn't have a enduring shelf Smile
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 15:01
Cluster's '71 is indeed some righteous stuff, every bit as disturbing as what original-generation industrial noiseniks like NON and Throbbing Gristle would be laying down a good handful of years later. Which I'd have no idea about from the bright and colourful cover art.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Drumstruck View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2014 at 00:11
How about this one - jump to 15:20 for the best song on the album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dwes08Cx0vs

Edited by Drumstruck - July 21 2014 at 00:14
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345