Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRush - Caress of Steel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2014 at 13:46
Originally posted by KingCrInuYasha KingCrInuYasha wrote:

I love it.

Also, am I the only one who loves "I Think I'm Going Bald"?

No you're not!  Count me in.

I think of CoS as Rush's "coming of age" album.  2112 was their big step into maturity, although the band didn't mature completely, as they themselves have acknowledged, until the Permanent Waves/Moving Pictures era.  To continue the lifespan metaphor, the whole album, both musically and lyrically, is the work of a band in the metaphorical late high school stage of their lives, kind of like a smart kid who is doing smart things as he grows into adulthood but is still kind of a mess.  The entire album is caught between the past and the future, filled with the angst of leaving home and entering adulthood, with excitement and fear, drive and nostalgia, rebel spirit and cries for help in conflict throughout the entire album.

CoS is a quality album, somewhat immature but with flashes of brilliance.  But its appeal is less in its aesthetics and more in its authenticity.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2014 at 14:00
COS is in my top five Rush albums. It's flawed but has a very special and mysterious feel to it. Fountain of Lamneth is certainly one of fave prog epics.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
waluigithewalrus View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2014 at 16:09
I wound up picking up COS at my local record store after thinking it would probably be the last Rush album I would pick up only about an hour earlier. I don't regret it. It's one of my favorites, and I love every track, excepting I Think I'm Going Bald, but that's only liked by the two guys who commented in the thread about it Tongue

At this point, Fountain of Lamneth is one of my favorite Rush songs. 
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2014 at 18:28
Originally posted by KingCrInuYasha KingCrInuYasha wrote:

I love it.

Also, am I the only one who loves "I Think I'm Going Bald"?

nope! i think its great too!!
Progrockdude
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 11:52
Good one.
uvtraveler View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 13:16
Well it's tough to choose between Rush's "I Think I'm Going Bald" and Kiss's  (I Think I'm) "Goin' Blind".....but  seriously

This topic is nice segue from my "guitar-centered" prog topic.  It was this very album, as in "The Fountain of Lamneth" specifically...that encouraged me to focus on writing and playing prog rock with a guitar-centered band as a kid. As you can imagine, the number of teenage rock keyboardists in early 1980s NYC was not exactly huge.  Also, prog rock was dying a rough death.    BUT  we still had Rush!  and maybe a little Triumph....

Great album....and I agree with an earlier post that the voice in the Necromancer is a little silly, but the chord progression and rhythmic motif with it in the The Fountain make up for any sins in my mind.
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 16:20
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Love it.  Love the first two albums also. 

Same - actually prefer all of those to "Moving Pictures"...
Stereolab View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 17:09
Listening to it now. Definitely a very good album, but not in the top half of Rush's pre-90s output. The stupid Necromancer voice gets on my nerves also... if you're going to do over-the-top narration, do it 100% of the way, like in an Ayreon album!

On a side note, I must admit to being shocked at the hate shown toward FBN in the Prog Archives reviews... seriously? Against an album containing the immortal "Anthem", plus "By-Tor", "Rivendell", and of course "Fly By Night"? Heck, if it just had "Anthem" and Geddy Lee reading the phone book for the next 75 minutes, I'd still give it five stars, but that's just me I suppose.

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 17:36
I discovered Rush with A Farewell To Kings but that was around 1981, they were not really well known in Europe back then and even less in my native Spain. I was totally sold, then I bought Hemispheres and thought these guys were unbelievable, I made a lot of publicity to my friends and we all got hooked to this band no-one else knew about. I already loved Prog but it was a period when I also embraced hard rock and metal much more than now, I loved early Queen, Purple, Zeppelin, Whitesnake, Rainbow... and even AC/DC Embarrassed
Then I bought CoS and it felt much rougher than A Farewell or Hemispheres, but since I was into hard rock and metal I loved it, all of it, even Going Bald. I was also learning guitar playing and Lifeson did hard-rock-prog in quite a different way than all the other well-known guitarists. Production was not too good but I didn't look much at those things back then, I guess my stereo was not that faithful either.
Nowadays I don't listen much to it but it will always hold a special place in my heart.
I like Fly By Night and quite less the debut, but CoS was indeed the album where they started to show what they were going to be able to do, when listened in retrospect it's the turning point. Funny that apparently it got a rather bad reception at the time of its release, but thank god that they knew what they wanted and reacted by delivering something like 2112 instead of bending to the wishes of the business.

Edited by Gerinski - July 18 2014 at 17:41
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 21:15
I love this album. Some of it is just ok but the great stuff really kicks butt. It's funny that RUSH calls the tour for this album the "down the tubes tour" and critics and the album sales reflect that but I think in retrospect we have to give it props. If it wasn't for this album there would be no 2112. "The Necromancer" is one of the most intense things they have ever done.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12