Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2015 at 09:17
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

^ I've dropped in on Raff's blog a few times, and found some interesting music suggestions there. She's the reason I'm now into the Amazing.

I'm a political junkie, so like Daily Kos and Plum Line. do those count as blogs?

I'm also addicted to Wonkette.

great group!  She can thank me for that, and I can thank Jim (Finforest) who turned me to them on while I was turning him off to politics on FB LOLWink

I do love politics... but I prefer discussing it rather than reading it.

I have often thought of starting my own blog. I do have a lot of interests outside of music, women's fashion, military history, sports, men's footwear, and work related interests like explosions and fires.  I just never got around to it. It would probably be just like my failed attempts at having a FB life. I'd see or hear something that rubbed me the wrong way and I'd start foaming at the mouth and laying waste to all around me.

it's a strange thing, but when men are interested in history it is almost inevitably military history. I have a degree in history, but I have to say the military aspect of it was always the least interesting for me.

as to blogs: I used to be s regular visitor on the website of Terry Pratchett, but since he is dead now I no longer go there

missed this earlier JeanEmbarrassed

not surprising Jean. It isn't like you were likely brought up around guns, learning to shoot them at an early age and where you looked up to your father and grandfather that served. Of course it is a generality with many exceptions but yeah, boys do tend to grow up playing with plastic army men, hearing stories about those of our family who served and all that sh*t. Later many often feel the call to do what their parents and grandparents did and often serve and have our own firsthand experiences and knowledge we then bring to our studies. Combine that large group of predominantly males with those who have a natural love of history and you have a have pot of ready made military historians haha. 

I always thought military history is quite fascinating. Not just the dates and places but especially the in the individuals.  Funny though one of the best books I ever read was by a woman though. You could tell it was a labor of love on her part exploring a little understood (overshadowed) military disaster that she had relatives involved with.

Edited by micky - November 29 2015 at 09:20
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2015 at 09:27
So glad to have grown up in a country that does not worship the military (on the contrary). After a couple of so-called "heroes" destroyed my career as a language teacher, gushing praise of the military tends to rub me the wrong way. Sorry if I am politically incorrect, but sometimes I get tired of keeping it all inside.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, I am glad to see my blog praised, though this year it has been half-dead. I will probably renew the domain for next year ($26 is not going to break the bank), but I don't see the situation changing too much in the future. Reviewing has become more of a chore than a pleasure, and the pace I used to keep in the past is hard to sustain when one is not feeling at his/her best. In any case, I will post my usual retrospective of the year, either in late December or in early January, because I want to give exposure to music that is not generally mentioned in most sites' Best of the Year lists.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2015 at 09:33
ehh..  regardless of the reasons. Anyone who volunteers to serve something larger than themselves deserves respect.  However I did read something interesting the other day about the militarization of sports in this country.  If there is a buck to be made by exploiting veterans in the guise of 'honoring' them you know American Capitalism will be johnny on the spot there man. LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Disparate Times View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2015 at 09:54
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

ehh..  regardless of the reasons. Anyone who volunteers to serve something larger than themselves deserves respect.  However I did read something interesting the other day about the militarization of sports in this country.  If there is a buck to be made by exploiting veterans in the guise of 'honoring' them you know American Capitalism will be johnny on the spot there man. LOL

I must say i really enjoy capitalism but like the end of gentle giants career it does have its embarrassing moments
Songs are like tightly budgeted meals
Nobodies doing anything new or even real
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2015 at 14:49
Originally posted by NutterAlert NutterAlert wrote:

Sid Smith blog - Postcard from a yellow room.

Gotten around to reading your blog this evening. I don't have time to listen to the podcasts yet, but I quite enjoy the photographs of scenic landscapes and historical buildings around the UK as well as the occasional history lesson. Thumbs Up
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2015 at 11:12
Time to plug a friend's blog: Vomanomalous, which deals with otherworldly folklore and the sociological/cultural history behind contemporary belief in the supernatural or the occult. The articles are often very long and detailed, bringing attention to cases and phenomena that are not very well known outside Denmark.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12