Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenesis just hit me

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 19:16
^ was it the day you were released back into the community?Wink I never made the connection between early Genesis and classical music because it's at best negligible. When anyone strips most of the blues and jazz ingredients out of Rock they invariably earn the epithet of 'classically influenced' which is plain silly really. Someone posted on the forum recently (Dean from memory) that the so-called Symphonic Prog bands simply made rock music sound orchestral by dint of texture, instrumentation and size/scope etc as none of them wrote any music that displayed the the sorts of formal academic rigour found in symphonic orchestrated composition. (perhaps ELP and the Enid were exceptions)
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2014 at 10:38
Well I think that the start of Watcher of the skies is VERY influenced by J.S Bach Organ works....and Banks, Rutherford, Phillips and Gabriel were all very much exposed to classical Choral works at Charterhouse on an everyday basis I would imagine. And their music teachers would all have been classically trained as well.....and I am assuming that Banks, Gabriel, Rutherford and Phillips could also read and write music...Makes them sort of classically influenced eh? Not a negligible input on their output....Take the intro of Salmacis...very symphonic and a lot of their instrumental breaks owe more than a nod to soft woodwind melodies.....To say that Genesis 1970-75 wasn't influenced at all (or negligibly) by Classical music is preposterous!
Oh, and I shall completely ignore the childish insinuation that I have mental health problem...I'm as sane as any average hominid.....

Edited by M27Barney - July 28 2014 at 10:43
AEJOTZ View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 09:57
Sometime in the early to mid 70s a show on PBS played a clip of some guy in a flower suit prancing around a stage to some very silly music. I thought it was funny but it sure wasn't life-changing.

Then one day in the summer of 1976 I was listening to the local FM rock station when a tune started off with a piano going at "flight of the bumblebee" speed. This was followed with an orchestral-sounding multi-layered crescendo wave and the impossibly beautifully harmonized words, "and the lamb... lies down... on Broadway." My mouth literally dropped open and stayed that way for much of the song. I called the radio station and found out who the band was then drove to two or three record stores until I found the LP.

I tried very hard to play the grooves off the album for the next week or two and then went in search of more Genesis music. I knew fully well that I could not have the top of my head removed by them again but surely there was something else worth listening to.

What I found was the double LP repackaging of Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot called "Genesis, the Best." As fate would have it, the first tune I played started with Tony again, only this time playing an organ from Mars. The top of my head came off again as I heard my favorite song of all time for the very first time: "Watcher of the Skies." Well, at least my head would stay on for the rest of the album... and it pretty much did (I had to use both hands to keep it on during the climax of "Can Utility...") but there was nothing on earth could keep me together when Pete wailed with a full-throated, Daltry-like but heartbreakingly plaintive "new Jerusalem..." I think I sobbed. I had to take a break before having my head removed by "Salmacis" all over again.

What distinguished Genesis from the other prog bands? Theatricality! And you didn't need the costumes. It was heavy drama and broad comedy and romance and yearning. One of my many wives described them as "majestic."

I first saw them live in 1977. I remember feeling disbelief. I didn't think they were mere humans. They played the tunes even stronger and better than the recorded versions. Was that possible? Weren't bands supposed to sound like crap live? And what was the deal with that hairy dwarf who alternately sang the roof off and disappeared behind a huge wall of drums? The drums sounded better than fine when Chester was playing, but when Phil started playing something indefinable and magical was added. WTF?

Genesis gave me a very big problem. They made other bands seem amateurish, unimaginative and weak.
Sinful View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2014 at 17:05
Originally posted by AEJOTZ AEJOTZ wrote:

Sometime in the early to mid 70s a show on PBS played a clip of some guy in a flower suit prancing around a stage to some very silly music. I thought it was funny but it sure wasn't life-changing.

Then one day in the summer of 1976 I was listening to the local FM rock station when a tune started off with a piano going at "flight of the bumblebee" speed. This was followed with an orchestral-sounding multi-layered crescendo wave and the impossibly beautifully harmonized words, "and the lamb... lies down... on Broadway." My mouth literally dropped open and stayed that way for much of the song. I called the radio station and found out who the band was then drove to two or three record stores until I found the LP.

I tried very hard to play the grooves off the album for the next week or two and then went in search of more Genesis music. I knew fully well that I could not have the top of my head removed by them again but surely there was something else worth listening to.

What I found was the double LP repackaging of Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot called "Genesis, the Best." As fate would have it, the first tune I played started with Tony again, only this time playing an organ from Mars. The top of my head came off again as I heard my favorite song of all time for the very first time: "Watcher of the Skies." Well, at least my head would stay on for the rest of the album... and it pretty much did (I had to use both hands to keep it on during the climax of "Can Utility...") but there was nothing on earth could keep me together when Pete wailed with a full-throated, Daltry-like but heartbreakingly plaintive "new Jerusalem..." I think I sobbed. I had to take a break before having my head removed by "Salmacis" all over again.

What distinguished Genesis from the other prog bands? Theatricality! And you didn't need the costumes. It was heavy drama and broad comedy and romance and yearning. One of my many wives described them as "majestic."

I first saw them live in 1977. I remember feeling disbelief. I didn't think they were mere humans. They played the tunes even stronger and better than the recorded versions. Was that possible? Weren't bands supposed to sound like crap live? And what was the deal with that hairy dwarf who alternately sang the roof off and disappeared behind a huge wall of drums? The drums sounded better than fine when Chester was playing, but when Phil started playing something indefinable and magical was added. WTF?

Genesis gave me a very big problem. They made other bands seem amateurish, unimaginative and weak.

My feelings exactlyClap
The Path is clear
AcademyNYC View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2014 at 23:32
I recently acquired a copy of what is probably the rarest Genesis vinyl item of all, the London pressing of the Winter's Tale 45. As many of you know, this was originally released on UK Decca, but it seems that a few promo copies were pressed on London for export to the US. Even stranger is this version was pretty much unknown until a lone copy was rediscovered some 40+ years later in 2009. It has apparently never been offered for sale.

Pic here, I can't get the embed feature to work:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3912/15172656086_7907c5b42b_z_d.jpg

I'm a newbie and not sure how vinyl-centric this site is, but I thought it might be of interest.
aliano View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 01:18
Isn't it strange that I like many of the Gabriel and Hackett solo stuff but I can't get into Genesis in general except the Wind & Wuthering album? Ermm
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 04:23
Originally posted by aliano aliano wrote:

Isn't it strange that I like many of the Gabriel and Hackett solo stuff but I can't get into Genesis in general except the Wind & Wuthering album? Ermm

As far as I'm concerned listener's tastes are as subjective as composer's tastes, so I see no reason for your question. Regarding Hackett's compositions I don't see any beloved guitarrists in PA Forum (as Zappa, Fripp etc.) to be ANY close to him in terms of compositions, obviously I'm disregarding playing tecnhiques as I never ever touched a damn guitar in my whole life in order to have any wonderings about it.

To be honest I find these discussions about playing skills rather boring sometimes, one of these days I was just wondering if there were better pianists than Beethoven for example, but man I've not found yet a greater composer!, well Ludwig Van Beethoven IS my favourite composer.

P.S.: I think that leaving Genesis was the BEST decision Steve Hackett took in his brilliant career!! I can't say anything about Gabriel solo works as I don't know them.

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 04:37
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

^ was it the day you were released back into the community?Wink I never made the connection between early Genesis and classical music because it's at best negligible. When anyone strips most of the blues and jazz ingredients out of Rock they invariably earn the epithet of 'classically influenced' which is plain silly really. Someone posted on the forum recently (Dean from memory) that the so-called Symphonic Prog bands simply made rock music sound orchestral by dint of texture, instrumentation and size/scope etc as none of them wrote any music that displayed the the sorts of formal academic rigour found in symphonic orchestrated composition. (perhaps ELP and the Enid were exceptions)

DAMN right... To be classical influenced Genesis would have to have changed almost everything in their music! Btw I'm fortunately happening to know some Enid's music and this was INDEED a classical influenced band, well I've felt some compositions of them more kind of a classical genre in fact. I'd like to make honorable mention to The Nice too, I've just listened to some music of them for the first time and found similarities with ELP in their style.

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
Kirillov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 06:05
There's a Genesis documentary on BBC2 TV tonight. I'll have to miss it unfortunately but I wonder if anything new will be revealed.
Zenbadger View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2014 at 09:37
The biggest Genesis myth is that they declined after Gabriel left. What they achieved with Collins at the helm is quite extraordinary. Still managing to produce 3 blinding prog albums to boot!

Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2014 at 22:43
Originally posted by Zenbadger Zenbadger wrote:

The biggest Genesis myth is that they declined after Gabriel left. What they achieved with Collins at the helm is quite extraordinary. Still managing to produce 3 blinding prog albums to boot!

I assume you are including Seconds Out as one of the three?
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2014 at 06:43
Originally posted by AcademyNYC AcademyNYC wrote:

I recently acquired a copy of what is probably the rarest Genesis vinyl item of all, the London pressing of the Winter's Tale 45. As many of you know, this was originally released on UK Decca, but it seems that a few promo copies were pressed on London for export to the US. Even stranger is this version was pretty much unknown until a lone copy was rediscovered some 40+ years later in 2009. It has apparently never been offered for sale.

Pic here, I can't get the embed feature to work:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3912/15172656086_7907c5b42b_z_d.jpg

I'm a newbie and not sure how vinyl-centric this site is, but I thought it might be of interest.
Insert Image. Paste the URL.
mongofa View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 13:23
Genesis P-Orridge 
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 22:20
Originally posted by AreYouHuman AreYouHuman wrote:

Did it feel like a kiss?

Okay, nobody asked, but here's the inspiration for that post anyway:

Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2014 at 00:49
Very progressive, these Crystals...
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2014 at 09:11
Originally posted by Kirillov Kirillov wrote:

There's a Genesis documentary on BBC2 TV tonight. I'll have to miss it unfortunately but I wonder if anything new will be revealed.
See this thread
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234