Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKauan (Russia) > Exp/Post Metal?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kauan (Russia) > Exp/Post Metal?
    Posted: August 05 2014 at 06:32
I happened to borrow the album Kuu... (2011) by this band and I enjoy it a lot. For the Finnish language I naturally thought it's a Finnish group (of Russian immigrants perhaps), but it seems to be all Russian.

Also their style is hard to categorize. Kuu... is quite symphonic, atmospheric and serene prog (emphasis on keyboards and violin), but if they originally were Metal, maybe Post Metal then?
  I'm not sending this directly to any team as I wish that somebody knows the band better.

There's plenty to listen to in YouTube, for example the whole Kuu... album:

zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 10:02
They were rejected by my team but I don't remember if the Prog Metal Team rejected them first or not.
Magma America Great Make Again
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 13:04
Nothing shows for them in the Metal charts on progfreak, and they were added to the progfreak database by avestin 5 years ago, at a time when - as far as I am aware - the Prog Metal team was using the progfreak facility.

They began life as an atmospheric doom metal band and drifted over towards Post Rock territory on their 2009 and 2011 albums before returning to their roots with their last album 'Pirut' (2013). A new album is currently in preparation ('Muistumia'), so another evaluation by one team or another is definitely a valid proposal.

All their existing stuff is on bandcamp: earlier releases at http://kauan.bandcamp.com/, and the latest via their record label, Blood Music: http://blood-music.bandcamp.com/album/pirut - and updates about the new album can be tracked via facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kauanmusic. Thumbs Up

Edited by yam yam - August 05 2014 at 13:11
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 16:15
I have added them to charts - I can hear no metal in the later albums and no prog in the former Tongue
But we'll give them the benefit of doubt
Matti View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 03:31
Thanks, guys. Meanwhile, my thoughts about the Kuu album have come some way down from the very positive first impression. It isn't actually symphonic. The extended, melancholic atmosphere painting gets nearly boring with repeated listenings. And all in all this artist seems to be a VERY hard one to categorize... To me it's quite irrelevant if they will be added somewhere or not.

Embarrassed
I notice I have been several times a bit too hasty with my suggestions (there are worse examples than Kauan). It just happens: you find a new interesting band/artist you know nothing about and after checking the database and using the search engine rush forwards to introduce it in the Forum to see what others know and think about it.

From now on I'll first try to get a better idea of the artist and preferably approach the potential genre teams directly.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 06:00
Originally posted by Matti Matti wrote:

From now on I'll first try to get a better idea of the artist and preferably approach the potential genre teams directly.

No harm done whatsoever by posting about the band here rather than directly to a team, and absolutely nothing to be ashamed about if the initial reaction of the team to a suggestion isn't overwhelmingly positive - I've made plenty of those myself, believe me! LOL .

I think it is ALWAYS preferable to post a potential new band or artist here in the public forum where the wider membership can have a chance to hear them and add their views rather than 'in secret' (as was done initially). For one thing it allows the suggestion to be found by others using the search facility, and would thus (hopefully) prevent someone else spending unnecessary time preparing a suggestion for them at some time in the future. Smile
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 15:39
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

For one thing it allows the suggestion to be found by others using the search facility, and would thus (hopefully) prevent someone else spending unnecessary time preparing a suggestion for them at some time in the future. Smile
Amen
 Post Reply Post Reply