Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSleep Rebellion (U.S.) for Heavy Prog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sleep Rebellion (U.S.) for Heavy Prog
    Posted: August 14 2014 at 02:29

SLEEP REBELLION is a progressive rock duo from Portland, Oregon, formed in 2013.
Members are Chris McGraw (guitars, vocals, bass, synths) and Randy Hart (drums)

"Sleep Rebellion is ready to wake up the masses. The Portland, Or. based hard rock group features a big guitar and drum sound, punctuated by lead singer, guitarist and songwriter Chris McGraw’s libertarian sci-fi lyrics.

Sleep Rebellion’s debut album, Empire of Lies, is an epic concept that ties into a sci-fi short story of the same name, written by the band’s principle songwriter, Chris McGraw. Each song follows a chapter in the short story and focuses on a different theme related to liberty, tyranny and revolution. Featuring powerful and virtuosic performances by vocalist/guitarist Chris McGraw and drummer Randy Hart, the album’s style ranges from radio-ready hard rock to otherworldly instrumental prog mayhem.

The album’s concept is inspired by science fiction novelists like Robert Heinlein, J. Neil Schulman and L. Neil Smith, as well as by progressive rock acts like Rush and Pink Floyd. The production was entirely crowdfunded during the summer of 2013, and recording commenced at the famous Portland, Oregon studio Kung Fu Bakery in October that year.

The opening track of the album refrains that, “Truth is treason in the Empire of Lies.” Sleep Rebellion wants to wake people up, and committing treason is their chosen method. If you feel it’s time for a revolution, pick up Empire of Lies today!" http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?457174-Empire-of-Lies-the-libertarian-rock-album-by-Sleep-Rebellion-is-finally-out!

"“It has been said of my fiction often enough that if you like Heinlein you might like Schulman. In that sense let me say that if you like Rush you might like Sleep Rebellion.” – J. Neil Schulman, award-winning author of Alongside Night"

CD Includes unlimited streaming of Empire of Lies via the free Bandcamp app, plus high-quality download in MP3, FLAC and more. 

released 01 August 2014

Vocals/Guitar/Bass/Synths: Chris McGraw
Drums: Randy Hart

Written and Produced by Chris McGraw
Drums recorded at Kung Fu Bakery, Portland, Or.
Drum recordings engineered by Dave Friedlander
Mastered by Chris Vita at Vita Mastering
Executive Producers: Archimedes Q. Porter and... Levon Bryan
Cover art and photography by Kayla McGraw 

Edited by Svetonio - August 14 2014 at 02:43
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2014 at 05:11
Yes, I enjoyed this album a lot. Thumbs Up Not sure that I would see them entirely as a Heavy Prog candidate though. Some aspects of the music are certainly that way inclined, but the album as a whole blends elements of hard rock, pop, metal, and electronica, and that seems more like a recipe for Crossover to me. Thanos will be a far better judge than myself on these matters though, so let's see what his verdict is later on. Embarrassed
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2014 at 06:58
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

Yes, I enjoyed this album a lot. Thumbs Up Not sure that I would see them entirely as a Heavy Prog candidate though. Some aspects of the music are certainly that way inclined, but the album as a whole blends elements of hard rock, pop, metal, and electronica, and that seems more like a recipe for Crossover to me. Thanos will be a far better judge than myself on these matters though, so let's see what his verdict is later on. Embarrassed

Thank you Yam Yam! Actually, Crossover was my first opinion, but on the second listen, I decided to suggest them for Heavy Prog. Well, as you said, it's on Thanos now

Edited by Svetonio - August 14 2014 at 07:12
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2014 at 11:05
Will check for HP - first impression is "not enough" as the prog blends with some indie-pop forms etc etc but could have a chance
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2014 at 13:54
Thank you aapatsos.
Xenophage View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 15:26
Thanks guys for listening to my album.  I ran across this forum post on a Google search.  I'm interested to know the final verdict! :)
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 06:45
Welcome to progarchives Chris.  Hug You can check up on how things are proceeding by following this link: http://progfreak.com/Sleep-Rebellion-159557.html?path=pa/recent. The votes will appear in this chart as they are cast by the evaluation team(s). So far just one 'unsure' vote - that's 'unsure' for Heavy Prog - not 'unsure' for inclusion in PA at all. Smile

Edited by yam yam - August 28 2014 at 06:46
Xenophage View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2016 at 11:11
Hi,

I realize it has been a while but I was just checking up to see if Sleep Rebellion was ever included in Prog Archives.  Is there a better sub-genre fit than Heavy Prog?  Would it be worthwhile to resubmit?

Thanks!
Chris
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2016 at 18:05
The evaluation in Heavy Prog ultimately ended in an outright rejection, despite one member of the three-man team voting 'yes' and another voting 'move' (probably to Crossover). I don't have access to the team thread in the collab zone where any comments regarding the evaluation would have been posted, so I can't speculate why you weren't given a chance in Crossover (which is where I personally thought you would fit best anyway). I can only assume that it was eventually considered that there wasn't enough prog content in the album for this to happen, but maybe one of the Heavy Prog team members reading this could clear the matter up properly for us.

Edit: No need to re-submit unless you release some fresh material - once an artist is rejected they can't be re-evaluated by the same team unless there is something new to listen to. They can however be evaluated by a different team based on existing material, but that will either happen as a result of this thread being re-activated, or not at all...I have my fingers crossed for you! Smile

Edited by yam yam - December 29 2016 at 18:23
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2016 at 06:16
I post this suggestion to the Crossover team, if they rejected it, we'll have another look in the HP team.
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2016 at 08:34
Thanks Louis.  Thumbs Up
Xenophage View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2016 at 10:28
Cool!  Thanks!  The album definitely gets proggier and heavier at the mid-way point, starting with track 6, which is an instrumental.  https://sleeprebellion.bandcamp.com/track/transhuman
kev rowland View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2017 at 17:47
Sleep Rebellion added to Crossover here
All five volumes of The Progressive Underground now available
https://www.amazon.com/Kev-Rowland/e/B07RJVRB2X
 Post Reply Post Reply