Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWho are "The Beatles" of Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 05:37
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

There is no prog equivalent of the Beatles.

True dat. With each record from the Rubber Soul/Revolver period forward, they were out on their own doing stuff that hadn't been done. I mean, I love Piper (just about the only Floyd I love) and I own S F Sorrow, but neither were quite like Sgt Pepper from the same year. And each Beatles album from the mid 60s on is widely considered a groundbreaking classic. You couldn't say that for Yes, Genesis, Crimson, ELP, etc, even during their heydays. Jaxon of VdGG once was quoted as saying that once Sgt Pepper came out, it opened everyone up to the possibilities of what could be done with rock music, it was a cultural event (Hammill said the same about the song "Tomorrow Never Knows"). That couldn't be said for anything put out by Genesis, Yes, et al. (well, maybe for ITCOTCK, but after that KC was on the runmill just like all the other Prog acts). So, there is no Beatles equivalent in Prog.
jc
Hnrz View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 05:52
I'd go with Pink Floyd. Everyone knows who they are, and DSOTM is literally in the top five selling records of all time, being part of a run of flawless albums. Literally all prog bands cite them as an influence, and many non-prog bands also cite them. The influence and resonance is clearly massive. Also there was a thread here about how people get into prog these days, and pretty much everyone said PF. If there is a prog equivalent of the Beatles, I'd bet on Pink Floyd.

Edited by Hnrz - September 05 2014 at 05:53
bucka001 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 06:24
I'm in the camp of those who consider Floyd to be progressive (small 'p') but not Prog (people have different views on that, I know). But if one does allow for Floyd to be included as a Prog band, then they probably would be the closest to The Beatles. In the 70's, every album was greeted by much hoopla (radio went crazy, and everyone knew about the new Floyd album, whether you liked them or not). And they seemed to be respected by the critics, each album was something of an event (sort of like Zeppelin). That wasn't so much the case with Genesis or Crimson. I even remember TV commercials for some of their albums when they came out (definitely The Wall). Never my cup of tea, Floyd, but no denying that they were huge as far as having an impact on a pop (rock)culture.

Edited by bucka001 - September 05 2014 at 06:25
jc
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 08:07
Beach Boys might be a good equivalent of the Beatlesbut for some unfathomable reason, they are not on the PA proto-prog / prog related list of the bands
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 08:30
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Beach Boys might be a good equivalent of the Beatlesbut for some unfathomable reason, they are not on the PA proto-prog / prog related list of the bands
Shocked Hmmm, Pet Sounds not Proto? Does anyone know why?

Edited by SteveG - September 05 2014 at 08:32
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 08:32

But they're not a prog band by any stretch of the imagination, so they can't be the Beatles of prog.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 08:33
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

But they're not a prog band by any stretch of the imagination, so they can't be the Beatles of prog.
Not even proto prog?

Edited by SteveG - September 05 2014 at 08:34
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 22:44
The Beatles and prog are too close chronologically and too closely related for this to make any sense. The Beatles are the most influential band on rock music, prog included.

I suppose you could say King Crimson though, within the subgenres of prog. Their early period had traces of just about all of it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234