1 [2.44%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 03:33
Originally posted by Xonty Xonty wrote:

Wow, quite a difficult poll seeing as Beatles, Pink Floyd, The Who, and The Stones are in there but it's gotta be Procol Harum for me. Can't stop listening to them.

I agree. I think Procol Harum have serious credentials to be considered the first genuine incarnation of a prog band and their early music is first class, which can't be said of most of the others in that list.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 06:36
Floyd followed by Procol Harum.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 06:42
the Zombies, Procol Harum and Cream
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 07:06
Beatles. Kinks were pretty good too.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 12:53
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Erm, sorry, but this poll doesn't make a great deal of sense to me. No vote.

Hmm you're right Dean, it doesn't actually say what we're supposed to be voting for - the best presumably?
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 13:51
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Hmm you're right Dean, it doesn't actually say what we're supposed to be voting for - the best presumably?
the best one to our taste (see the poll's first post)
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 18:26
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

I can actually read thanks, it  did not make a great deal of sense to me when I originally read it and it still does not make a great deal of sense now. 

This is a Prog site, this thread is in the Prog Polls section of the Prog Music Lounges yet only three of these bands are remotely Prog and not one of the early albums by any of them are Prog. 

The only thing these bands have in common is that they are British (one is from Northern Ireland, the rest are English). 
Their début albums were released over a 4 year time span during the most creative time in British Pop music which makes comparison meaningless, with the exception of two of the bands, those débuts were composed mostly of cover songs. Couple that with the simple fact that there are at least four different distinct styles of music here, all of which adequately fit my taste without one being more "best" than another, then I don't see what I or anyone else is supposed to be voting for. 

How can Please Please Me/With The Beatles be more "best" for our tastes than Days of Future Past, Saucerful of Secrets? How does anyone compare Stop Your Sobbin' with Repent Walpurgis or Don't Ever Change with A Quick One, While He's Away?
What?
Lynx33 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 19:15

I can actually read thanks, it  did not make a great deal of sense to me when I originally read it and it still does not make a great deal of sense now. 

This is a Prog site, this thread is in the Prog Polls section of the Prog Music Lounges yet only three of these bands are remotely Prog and not one of the early albums by any of them are Prog. 

The only thing these bands have in common is that they are British (one is from Northern Ireland, the rest are English). 
Their début albums were released over a 4 year time span during the most creative time in British Pop music which makes comparison meaningless, with the exception of two of the bands, those débuts were composed mostly of cover songs. Couple that with the simple fact that there are at least four different distinct styles of music here, all of which adequately fit my taste without one being more "best" than another, then I don't see what I or anyone else is supposed to be voting for. 

How can Please Please Me/With The Beatles be more "best" for our tastes than Days of Future Past, Saucerful of Secrets? How does anyone compare Stop Your Sobbin' with Repent Walpurgis or Don't Ever Change with A Quick One, While He's Away?

What is this grousing? If you don't like the poll, don't vote. But keep degrading, fake-elevated opinion to yourself. Polls are for fun and not for schooling each other. There is always some antisocial, community ruining factor about people's behaviour who THINK they know things better than anybody elseCry
Mindez elmúlt. Ma már tudom köszönteni a szépséget.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 19:36
Originally posted by Lynx33 Lynx33 wrote:

What is this grousing? If you don't like the poll, don't vote. But keep degrading, fake-elevated opinion to yourself. Polls are for fun and not for schooling each other. There is always some antisocial, community ruining factor about people's behaviour who THINK they know things better than anybody elseCry
Really? I just don't understand the poll or what I'm supposed to be voting for. I don't see how this is a fake-elevated opinion of myself, if anything it is quite the contrary. So dry your tears and tell me what the connection is that I'm expected to vote upon here.

What?
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2014 at 06:38

I was referring to this "Poll Question: British R&B, Beat, Mod or Whatever" - that isn't a question.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2014 at 06:41

Originally posted by Lynx33 Lynx33 wrote:

Really? I just don't understand the poll or what I'm supposed to be voting for. I don't see how this is a fake-elevated opinion of myself, if anything it is quite the contrary. So dry your tears and tell me what the connection is that I'm expected to vote upon here.

I agree with Dean and that was the reason behind my question "how early is early"? - The Beatles eventually trounced everyone else in this poll quite comfortably, but if by "early" you mean their first 2 albums then that makes things different. If you include albums 3 and 4 then it make the result different again (and by that I mean The Beatles really started to take off on albums 3 and 4, imo).
I think you need to quote a definitive time period because, without looking up the dates for all these bands, I don't really know which material I'm comparing.

Edited by chopper - September 15 2014 at 06:43
gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2014 at 06:51
Not on the list,but could be.
Small Faces.

From the list,probably Kinks.
Shake & bake.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2014 at 15:36
Strange list and poll as others have pointed out.....many of the songs by 4 or 5 bands up there were equally as good in those days. Can't choose.....
...a better poll might have been picking a representative song from those bands roughly the same time period.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SquonkHunter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 21:19
While I like all of the bands listed, it's the Moody Blues by far for me. While they were not strictly "all Prog, all the time", they were my first taste of what became a lifetime of Prog music for me. Legend of a Mind was the first song I ever heard that really got inside my head and "changed" me. My God, 1968 was so long ago. Cry
"You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."
Billy Pilgrim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2014 at 03:08
Lol, good poll links. I vote Stones. Time is on My Side, Heart of Stone, Ruby Tuesday, good stuff.
proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2014 at 22:42

Pink Floyd.

When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12