Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > Just for Fun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNon-Prog Rock Band Knowledge Poll

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: How Many of These Non-Prog Music Artists Have You Heard Of?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [8.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [6.00%]
3 [6.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [10.00%]
7 [14.00%]
3 [6.00%]
2 [4.00%]
2 [4.00%]
1 [2.00%]
6 [12.00%]
3 [6.00%]
1 [2.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [8.00%]
4 [8.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Non-Prog Rock Band Knowledge Poll
    Posted: September 16 2014 at 21:33
I figured this sort of thing would be okay in the "Just for Fun" area. Tongue

I'm not sure if voting for each one you've heard of would require a lot of clicks (Since i'm not sure how the multiple votes poll works exactly), so if you want you can list the ones you've heard of (or not heard of) in a reply.

Also, feel free to speak up about any band (Prog or not) that you like (and possibly feel is somewhat obscure), and were wondering if anyone else knows of them, or would just like to get others to check them out.

Some awesome bands i didn't get to include:
Deliverance, Dokken, Coney Hatch, Europe, Firehouse, Gamma Ray, GTR, Warlock, Lizzy Borden, Loudness, Mastedon, The New Cities, Rob Rock, Stratovarius, Theocracy (although, ok, maybe they are prog), Vain, VandenBurg, WhiteCross, and White Lion

If anybody likes or really loves one of the bands mentioned here or in the poll, feel free to say it!

If anyone happens to hate any of these particular bands, also feel free to say that. :P

Have fun talking about any particular band(s)!

Smile
"Let us scream like Tom Mallicoat, and whisper like Geoff Tate, for the difference between the two is nigh."
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 21:38
Zebra, 1D, and Black Veil Brides

Don't care for them, but don't hate them.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 22:11
Ace of Base's The Sign is one of my favorite pop albums.
StaaViinsZ View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 23:26
Originally posted by Luna Luna wrote:

I personally, like BVB and 1D (to a certain extent), but i've never really thought Zebra seemed that great.

Zebra seemed a bit softer compared to some bands.

So since none of those bands are your thing, what is?Question Smile

Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Ace of Base's The Sign is one of my favorite pop albums.

Nice! Of course everyone that knows the album knows the title track, "The Sign", but I actually think some of the lesser known tracks like Wheel of Fortune and Dancer in a Day Dream are pretty awesome!

Then again, who am I kidding, I pretty much like everything on there except for a couple tracks.

Surprisingly enough, I never really cared for "All That She Wants", even though most people seemed to think that was a really good one.

What's your favorite track off "The Sign"? Question

Also, if you don't already know, Ace of Base are actually still around! They got two new girl singers, but I think they're still pretty good.

Check out "All For You" on Youtube, or wherever. It's a track off their new album, and a bit more modern sounding than "The Sign" sounds now, but I thought it was pretty good.

Another track I thought was pretty good off their new album "Golden Ratio" was "One Day". It has more of that "Electronic Reggae" sound that they got famous for, whereas "All For You" sounds something more akin to a newer electronic Pop hit. Ya know, it's just ya like it or ya don't. Whatever Tongue

Later Smile

Edited by StaaViinsZ - September 16 2014 at 23:28
"Let us scream like Tom Mallicoat, and whisper like Geoff Tate, for the difference between the two is nigh."
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 23:48
Originally posted by StaaViinsZ StaaViinsZ wrote:

I personally, like BVB and 1D (to a certain extent), but i've never really thought Zebra seemed that great.

Zebra seemed a bit softer compared to some bands.

So since none of those bands are your thing, what is?Question Smile
A friend of mine is a huge 1D fan so I will admit to liking a couple of their songs.

Currently, my favorite bands would be Godflesh, Techno Animal, Leonard Cohen, Car Seat Headrest, and New Order.

I probably forgot something that I really like, but oh well.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2014 at 00:53
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Zenbadger View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2014 at 01:20
I've heard of 12 of those...

I only own Ratt and Pretty Maids albums though
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2014 at 01:34

A friend of mine is a huge 1D fan so I will admit to liking a couple of their songs.

Currently, my favorite bands would be GodfleshTechno AnimalLeonard CohenCar Seat Headrest, and New Order.

First: Thank you much for providing links to a song from each of those artists. It may have been a bit of extra work but it was cool to check out what you're into. Smile

Next, I must say, you have quite an eclectic music taste! From Leonard Cohen to Godflesh, just lol... Completely different! Did I just say those two in the same sentence? :P

I'm not sure about any messages in "Christbait Rising" by Godflesh, but I did appreciate the heavier sound which they had, though not very melodic. Then again, who expected industrial metal to be Melodic XD.

Techno Animal had an interesting Rap/Hip-Hop sound with a, seemingly, odd time signature. Perhaps the time signature was nothing fancy, but anyhow, the beat was very interesting. 

I found "Fine Time" by New Order to have a sound similar to, say, Depeche Mode or Pet Shop Boys, except kind of like an extended dance mix that's only normal song length, without much conventional melody.

But hey, that's cool. If that's what you like, it's what you like. I thought it was pretty good. Smile

I cannot truthfully say that I found any of them to be especially pleasing to my ears, however, every one has something that "works" for them, and if it works for you, that's cool. Tongue

Be cool if you Checked out a couple things i'm into:

&

and For a good (to me :P) somewhat softer song, try

Apologies in advance for the covers of Firehouse and especially Lizzy Borden, These metal bands XD, everybody wants the best model on their album cover :P.

Talk to ya later. Smile

Steve

P.S. Yes, I have a friend who's really into 1D as well XD. She's a 14 year old girl :P

lol she's got a 1D purse, 1D bracelets, a 1D shirt...

Who knows what else she's got lying around at her house LOL

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2014 at 01:49
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Which 4? Do you like any of them, or just heard of them?

Originally posted by Zenbadger Zenbadger wrote:

I've heard of 12 of those...

I only own Ratt and Pretty Maids albums though

Wow, Zenbadger! You're the current champion! lol.

Awesome that you own Ratt and Pretty Maids albums. I own several by Ratt and only one by Pretty Maids, though I am seriously considering owning more by pretty maids in the near future.

Do You own Future World? Great Album. 

Pretty Maids are unique in that they have a pretty big Keyboard presence for a hard rock band. Some would be turned off by it, but it doesn't bother me (Though I will admit my brain has a tendency to focus on the underlying guitar part rather than the keys :P.)

Ratt needs no explanation. Just good old-fashioned Hair Metal, lol. I have never bought an album that didn't have at least 1 song I really liked. Though i will admit, Reach For The Sky had me "Reaching For The Sky" at first, so to speak Tongue

but I found out it was awesome after listening to it a bit. Big smile 

Anyway, you know some pretty cool bands if you know 12 of the ones listed here! Big smile

Thank you both for your replies! Smile

Steve/StaaViinsZ

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2014 at 01:53
Sorry for maybe getting a little too talky everyone... I realized how much i was talking after i looked at my two posts XD 
Billy Pilgrim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2014 at 02:58
Stryper
Ace of Base
Tesla
Black Veil Brides
One Direction
Crimson Glory
Dragon Force

And I'm not sure I'm happy I know any of them. The painful failure of Fire and the Flames on guitar hero still haunts my dreams, or maybe it's just that crappy of a song. Interesting lineup of bands. Also, if you really wanted to, you could probably call Crimson Glory progressive metal, but only because power metal is pretty much progressive metal minus two or three annoying bridges and guitar solos.

Edited by Billy Pilgrim - September 17 2014 at 02:58
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2014 at 23:51
Own albums from:
- Y & T (all studio albums! Mean Streak was the first album I bought, along with Never Surrender by Triumph)
- Tesla (own 3 albums)
- Ratt (own two albums)

Familiar with:
- Stryper
- Zebra
- Tony Carey
- Black n' Blue

Heard of but don't actually know:
- Ace of Base
- One Direction
- Pretty Maids
- Crimson Glory

--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2014 at 23:08

Currently, my favorite bands would be GodfleshTechno AnimalLeonard CohenCar Seat Headrest, and New Order.

First: Thank you much for providing links to a song from each of those artists. It may have been a bit of extra work but it was cool to check out what you're into. Smile

Next, I must say, you have quite an eclectic music taste! From Leonard Cohen to Godflesh, just lol... Completely different! Did I just say those two in the same sentence? :P

I'm not sure about any messages in "Christbait Rising" by Godflesh, but I did appreciate the heavier sound which they had, though not very melodic. Then again, who expected industrial metal to be Melodic XD.

Techno Animal had an interesting Rap/Hip-Hop sound with a, seemingly, odd time signature. Perhaps the time signature was nothing fancy, but anyhow, the beat was very interesting. 

I found "Fine Time" by New Order to have a sound similar to, say, Depeche Mode or Pet Shop Boys, except kind of like an extended dance mix that's only normal song length, without much conventional melody.

But hey, that's cool. If that's what you like, it's what you like. I thought it was pretty good. Smile

I cannot truthfully say that I found any of them to be especially pleasing to my ears, however, every one has something that "works" for them, and if it works for you, that's cool. Tongue

Be cool if you Checked out a couple things i'm into:

&

and For a good (to me :P) somewhat softer song, try

Apologies in advance for the covers of Firehouse and especially Lizzy Borden, These metal bands XD, everybody wants the best model on their album cover :P.

Talk to ya later. Smile

Steve

P.S. Yes, I have a friend who's really into 1D as well XD. She's a 14 year old girl :P

lol she's got a 1D purse, 1D bracelets, a 1D shirt...

Who knows what else she's got lying around at her house LOL

Interestingly enough, Godflesh cite Leonard Cohen as a large influence on their music. They both have albums titled Songs of Love and Hate and Godflesh have used some of Cohen's lyrics in their own songs. 

Techno Animal is a side project of a member of Godflesh and it has his more experimental stuff (not really metal, but ambient, jazz, industrial, and some hip-hop). It's a shame it's defunct because it's arguably my favorite musical act. 

I'm a shameless fan of synthpop and darkwave and really don't know why.

Those songs you sent are pretty cool. They were uplifting and energetic and inspired me to re-create a Rocky montage. I don't mind boobs but I'm sure someone out there's offended.

-Not Steve
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2014 at 18:11
Stryper
Ace of Base
Tesla
Black Veil Brides
One Direction
Crimson Glory
Dragon Force

And I'm not sure I'm happy I know any of them. The painful failure of Fire and the Flames on guitar hero still haunts my dreams, or maybe it's just that crappy of a song. Interesting lineup of bands. Also, if you really wanted to, you could probably call Crimson Glory progressive metal, but only because power metal is pretty much progressive metal minus two or three annoying bridges and guitar solos.

Why wouldn't you be happy to know them? XD.

I'm happy to finally found someone who's heard of Crimson Glory! Seems like that band is so obscure.

Hm, I have in the past thought Gamma Ray's Track "Rebellion in Dreamland" seemed to be progressively influenced, though in the past others have blatently denied they could've even been remotely influenced by progressive artists AT ALL (lol).

Also nice to see you've heard of DragonForce, however I will admit I have issues with liking their music... I like the style, I like how it's very epic, but for some reason at times it comes off as "Too happy" and bright, and seems like it's missing a certain amount of melody or catchiness. That said, I still choose to like them as a group so far. But that might change in the future.

Regardless, I respect them for doing Neo-classically influenced power metal, despite my quality concerns XD. I think they're cool.

Quote Own albums from:
- Y & T (all studio albums! Mean Streak was the first album I bought, along with Never Surrender by Triumph)
- Tesla (own 3 albums)
- Ratt (own two albums)

Familiar with:
- Stryper
- Zebra
- Tony Carey
- Black n' Blue

- Ace of Base
- One Direction
- Pretty Maids
- Crimson Glory

So cool that you know of some of them.

Tony Carey, to be honest, seemed like something I "shouldn't" like, but yet, I still did. I have his album "Tough City" or something like that on Vinyl. Lots of skips, but like I said, I shouldn't like it, but I do XD.

So you're a Y & T fan? Nice. I always thought they were like Pop Hard Rock, sort of like Hair Metal but softer usually.

But I don't know. They seem like they would be pretty cool. What are they like?

Quote Interestingly enough, Godflesh cite Leonard Cohen as a large influence on their music. They both have albums titled Songs of Love and Hate and Godflesh have used some of Cohen's lyrics in their own songs.

Techno Animal is a side project of a member of Godflesh and it has his more experimental stuff (not really metal, but ambient, jazz, industrial, and some hip-hop). It's a shame it's defunct because it's arguably my favorite musical act.

I'm a shameless fan of synthpop and darkwave and really don't know why.

Those songs you sent are pretty cool. They were uplifting and energetic and inspired me to re-create a Rocky montage. I don't mind boobs but I'm sure someone out there's offended.
-Not Steve

Okay, the Godflesh-Leonard Cohen thing, that just seems WEIRD.

I mean, just lol. Leonard Cohen influencing Godflesh? What in the world?! XD. Hahaha!

Forgive me, struck me as quite odd. But hey, Bach & Beethoven inspired Yngwie Malmsteen, just proves, influences for awesome artists can come from the strangest places.

Hm. Techno Animal is a side project of a member of Godflesh. That I wouldn't have expected. Then again, who would've expected singing as a side project of Leonard Nimoy XP!

Anyway, liking Synthpop is no stranger to me. That used to be my favorite genre of music! Darkwave on the other hand, I have not heard of. But I'm assuming it's like a dark version of new wave? XD.

Anyways, awesome, cool. Some of the old Stuff I used to like was like the Cars, Genesis (On Abacab), just 80s Pop stuff mostly. I still like some of it. Maybe that's why I don't mind Keyboards in metal as much :P.

You know, as long as they don't "Take Over".

Reminds me of something I always thought was really funny.

John Norum (Lead Guitarist for Europe) left the band shortly after recording the Final Countdown album, saying He didn't like the image the band was getting. They were becoming like this teeny bopper band, and the keyboards were taking over (I paraphrase).

Then, he went and recorded a solo album called "Total Control", and it had practically as many keyboards as The Final Countdown, and the singer even sounded a little like Joey Tempest as times! Was so strange lol. Made you wonder if the real reason he left was more because he liked to be a little more in control XD.

And thanks! Glad you liked the songs.

Not entirely sure what you mean when you say "Recreate a rocky montage", either you're as crazy as me jumping around next to your bedroom mirror rocking out, or you're on Youtube.

Either way, you're cool enough ^_^ XP.

As for the covers, yes well, that's just what it is. I try not to look at it too long if I think it's going to mess with me. I like the music, but yeah, the covers are not good sometimes. I honestly don't pay much attention to it after a while, and then when I show it to someone else I have to remember "Oh, that cover isn't very nice" and just say "Hey the cover isn't good on this, I like the song a lot though".

So yeah anyway, I don't advocate the covers, but the music is good. So just my thing there.

Have a good day, "Not-Steve" :P.
:)

- Is-Steve ;)

Edited by StaaViinsZ - September 20 2014 at 18:11
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2014 at 19:07
Dragonforce and Gamma Ray have nothing to do with prog. Crimson Glory do, albeit I take the point that they are primarily a power/epic band ahead of their time. Sad they only produced 2 good albums.

Great Tesla and Pretty Maids, love some of their albums.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2014 at 21:19

Quote Own albums from:
- Tesla (own 3 albums)
- Ratt (own two albums)

Familiar with:
- Stryper
- Zebra
- Tony Carey
- Black n' Blue

- Ace of Base
- One Direction
- Pretty Maids
- Crimson Glory

So you're a Y & T fan? Nice. I always thought they were like Pop Hard Rock, sort of like Hair Metal but softer usually.

But I don't know. They seem like they would be pretty cool. What are they like?

Bluesy (sometimes) hard rock, occasionally dipping in to hair metal.  They started out in the mid 70s under the name Yesterday & Today and released two albums on London Records.  Changed their name to Y & T (what their fans called them anyway) and release Earthshaker on A&M Records in 1981.  Probably their best album, with two classic power ballads "Rescue Me" (the song that made me fall in love with them) and "I Believe In You" (massive wonderful guitar solos!).  Three more good (IMHO) albums followed.

The dipped in to the hair metal style with the fairly dreadful single "Summertime Girls" in 1985 (and as a "bonus" put it on both their 1985 albums Open Fire (live) and Down For The Count).  DFTC is a decent album, but they really went downhill when they moved to Geffen Records for Contagious and Ten.  After Ten they broke up.  Reformed for two 90s albums (Musically Incorrect (1995) and Endangered Species (1997)), which I never even heard of until many years later.  They were re-released together as Incorrect Species a few years ago (2009 I think), which was the first time I was able to hear them.  Not as good as their classics, but still pretty good (and much better than their two previous ones).

Their first two albums were also re-released together around the same time, as OneTwo.  My first listen to them as well.  Decent, though the second was taken from a poor source and doesn't have good sound.

Finally, they released Facemelter in 2010.  Decent, but nothing really new or outstanding.  I saw them finally in concert the same year and loved it if only for the memories.  Only two original band members remained, and the bass player actually died of cancer shortly after!  Cry  (I had wondered why he seemed rather out of sorts at the show.)

Dave Meniketti is the band leader, vocalist and lead guitarist, and he is amazing, even if the songs don't always live up.  Very tasty, blues style leads.  He still tours every year with some version of Y&T.  Plays on Monsters of Rock cruise each year, I believe, along with shows in his native California, Europe and sometimes Japan (where they were pretty "big" back in the day.)

Here's an interesting thing from Dave's wikipedia page!
Mr. Bungle guitarist Trey Spruance said in an interview with Kerrang! magazine in 1991: "... of course, I owe it [his guitar playing speed] all to Y&T. Dave Meniketti is my god."

Don't listen to them much anymore (and DFTC has never been released on CD except in Japan, so I don't have it any longer), but they are still "comfort food" music when I do.

--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 09:42
I have heard of Ace of Base, One Direction and Tesla, but never heard their music.

Ratt, I have heard their one hit song, Round and Round. It's nothing special, but I still like it more than anything from Poison, Motley Crue, Bon Jovi, or any other such band. I would prefer Van Halen though.

From Zebra, I have heard their live album, Mad Hatter, and I am a fan of it. I haven't heard anything else though. Take Your Fingers from My Hair is a great song, and Dream Theater's cover of it is what brought them to my attention.
Want to play mafia? Visit here.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 09:46
I wish I'd never heard of Ace of Base Pinch
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 10:18
I have albums from Stryper, Y&T, Tesla, Ratt, Black N Blue, Reckless Love, Doro, and Xandria (was my metal album of the year in 2012).  I've heard songs from 1D, Ace of Base, DragonForce, Crimson Glory, Zebra, and Black Veil Brides. If it is the same guy I know of Tony Carey from his days with Rainbow, and I have a Planet P Project album.
 Post Reply Post Reply