Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKing Crimson - Help!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 10:01
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

RED I can recommend , but my curiousness about the record is focused on what Fripp originally wanted to accomplish on RED ..other than what was officially released and had to be settled upon due to the pressures of owing Atlantic a new album. That's a little deep, but think about it. Fripp was discouraged by the inability of Bill Bruford to understand the piece "Red". Fripp wanted to play more "Heavy Metal" style of music and Bruford may have been approaching the piece like Michael Giles would have or even Ian Wallace. What Fripp wanted to get out of that album...he did not. Evidently he did not..because he complained about it in several taped interviews. So...I'd like to hear RED in the tone that Fripp originally wanted.

Other observations to keep in mind: Most of Fripp's career...he has always written something that is reminiscent of something else. He truly began the extreme of that pattern when he first recorded "A Peacemaking Stint Unrolls" which later became The center section of fast tri-tone interval patterns in "Larks Tongues In Aspic part I" and 2 masterful repeated lines in "Lament", except at this specific time Mel Collins was on board and that change quite a bit of the distinctive "darkness" to the later versions that contained violin instead.

The material written for "In The Wake Of Poseidon" took place during their first tour of Europe and the U.S. Many of the songs written would have appeared on I.T.W.O.P. if McDonald and Giles had stayed with the band. I often compare the McDonald and Giles album with I.T.W.O.P. and the connection between both worlds is closely knitted artistically.

I wish the original line-up of Crimson would have been together still for the second album at least. As it is, using the best material from both albums you mentioned might have done for a better album, instead of the sad copy from the first album it ended up being.

McDonald and Giles fell in love. They were in la la land and Fripp's stomach was in knots when they announced their departure from the band while in L.A. I can't imagine how devistated Fripp was when they told him this. What would you have said to one of your friends if they presented you with a nightmare like this? He had the perfect band and with this awful result..nature was saying "bite the big one" to Fripp. He had to continue without Ian McDonald , a main contributor to the writing on I.T.C.O.T.C.K. until he could write something all on his own which was Lizard.

Then who were the two broads on M and G's solo album cover.

None other than the 2 ladies they fell in love with. I believe Michael Giles was already married to a girl named Mandy, but missed her greatly and needed to go home.

Oops (a clearing of throats, the stray cough; somewhere off in the distance, a dog barks)!
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 21:22
Fripp was dragged through the mud. Fripp had the perfect band and he was letdown by "Love Boat" or "A s The World Turns" He continued to run across bad luck until he developed a bitter attitude.

Edited by TODDLER - October 27 2014 at 21:22
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123