Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHe's Not Metal, He's Just Heavy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: He's Not Metal, He's Just Heavy
    Posted: September 26 2014 at 01:47
Inspired by the "Rush: Heavy Prog or Prog Metal" thread.

While to me its obvious that Rush is HP not PM, its not always so straight forward.

Take Haken for example.  Outside of PA I think they are generally thought of as prog metal.  But they are under HP here.  Is that appropriate?  I think so.  They do have many metal moments, but they have a lot of "standard" prog rock sound.  Still they are generally heavy.  So HP works.

What about Riverside?  They are under PM here, and generally referred to as PM, but they have a lot of "non-metal" stuff.  Certainly their first album and most recent are mostly not metal, in my mind.  I imagine they are under PM mostly because the HP sub here on PA did not exist when they were added (just a guess).

I was listening to Threshold - March Of Progress today and heard a lot of similarities to Haken.  (Of course they've been around much longer than Haken.)  I don't know their earlier albums, but based on this one if evaluating them today I'd put them in HP as well.

Certainly there are other examples.

Just some random rambling...
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2014 at 01:52
Just remembered another Damian Wilson fronted band that is in the limbo between HP and PM: Headspace.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2014 at 04:11
It is often my dilemma because the dividing line is often "lost". The bands are combine the genres.

Edited by Svetonio - September 26 2014 at 04:19
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2014 at 04:37

Itīs only an issue for those of us, working on sites like this, having to catagorize artists and make them fit with our relatively "strict" definitions of musical styles.

Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2014 at 02:35
I think the main difference is that metal uses power chord-based riffing either exclusively or overwhelming, whereas prog-rock is more diverse in that regard with much greater use of textural contrast in composition. Not to mention that metal's way more guitar-dominated, whereas prog focuses more on instrumental interplay between the entire group.

There's also some differences in culture too, between music theory-educated conservatory/university graduates and self-taught basement jammers. Also how prog rock groups more often have extremely systematic philosophical worldviews behind their music concept with Magma as the most triumphant example, in comparison with many metal groups being more concerned with ideological grey zones and moral ambiguity.

To use an example from around my neck in the woods: Mercyful Fate's original drummer Kim Ruzz came from a prog/psych-rock background rather than a heavy metal/hard rock background, which on one hand can be heard in their rather ambitious and intricate songwriting early on compared to most metal acts of their generation... but it's also one of the reasons he left after Don't Break the Oath since him and the other band members had very different musical philosophies.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2014 at 12:26
^ It's hard to keep this mind at times, but the metal that we have come to know from Judas Priest to Avanged Seven Fold was simply not around or popular  when Rush were first doing their thing. They were listed simply as Hard Rock, Metal or Album Oriented Rock. The metal tag became popular in the very late seventies and very, very early eighties, so in that period's retrospective view, Rush was no longer seen as one of the descriptions from the seventies I just decribed. Unfortunately, time changes things and people forget.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2014 at 12:55
Frank, great thread title ClapLOL

aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2014 at 13:11
Not always easy to differentiate but usually it does not matter. I can't see why people try so hard (not intended for you Frank) to separate prog rock from prog metal as if the latter is not (partly) an evolution of the former.

Agree with Haken and Headspace, they are on the verge. Threshold and Riverside are metal bands (although the latter is on the soft side) in my books.

Edited by aapatsos - September 28 2014 at 13:13
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 10:03
I sympathise with your view Aapatsos, but sometimes a prog music vs prog metal thread exposes metal influences of prog groups that members don't realise are even there and why newer prog metal bands truly refer to them as influences. Everything in music evolves from some previous souce but to think that a group like Dream Theater evolved solely from early King Crimsom is wrong. (I know just such a person). Getting the facts straight, I feel, is what's ultimately important, not seperating Progressive Metal from Progressive Rock. 

Edited by SteveG - September 29 2014 at 11:08
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 11:00

This is a quote I' ve always loved from Phil Collins but  always had a
hard time tracking it down. On the 2007 re-issued Trick of The Tail
CD+DVD, Collins refers to the song Squonk as a combination of Led Zep's
Kasmir and When The Levee Breaks as played through the filter of
Genesis. And out came Squonk.I have always felt that this "Prog
Filter" that Collins referred to is the deciding factor if a band is
prog metal or simply prog. You will know it when you here it.

Edited by SteveG - September 30 2014 at 15:21
 Post Reply Post Reply