Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Live Performance Reviews
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - King Crimson - 26 Sept, 2014 Chicago Vic Theater
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKing Crimson - 26 Sept, 2014 Chicago Vic Theater

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2014 at 01:51
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by rushaholic rushaholic wrote:

Flying to Los Angeles this Wednesday to see them - after reading this thread i am more excited then ever.

I still have no words to review the Seattle show with ... that's how good it was!

Insanely excellent all the way around!

I'm still bummed I didn't get to make up to Seattle to see them. That's great to hear you guys all enjoyed it.
Want to play mafia? Visit here.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 15:23
Originally posted by frippster frippster wrote:

Does anybody know if any show is being filmed?? I heard that they aren't, and that'd mean there'll be no dvd... only audio, if at all

They need a DVD/CD for sure for the whole thing.

The Seattle Show was a massive blow out, and it was enough that metal bands look like kids in the garage playing with their weewees! The quality was magnificent, and the 3 drummers together were ... out of this world ... and DEAN ... you have to see it ... I hope you do, because it was not only magnificent, it was magical and it was the pure definition of music, and what people can do WITH IT, TO IT, AND ABOUT IT!

There was only one other show I have ever seen, where the quality of the musicianship and staging and definition of terms, and such, on the stage, were above and beyond the call of duty, and it was "Return to Forever" with Ponti, a couple of years ago. This show, reaches that level and some, and leaves you breathless.

The double CD they sell IS NOT any of the concerts, and it had way too many studio bits for my tastes, many of which were not one half as good as what they did on the stage at that show. I'm already looking for a bootleg ... because that was a massive show! And to damn good to be wasted in the vaults of nothingness.  In the very end, KC will be hurting itself, if it can not show that they are a force to deal with ... but hiding that force is stupid!

Btw, I do not have a set list for the Seattle show ... I am not sure that it was close to the one Stack listed, but 21st was the encore and there was one more bittie in the middle of it, with the obligatory drum solo by Gavin ... which was not necessary, but gave it the ROCK crowd another erection. It was very nice and wonderful to watch the 3 drummers just kick ass!!!!!

Edited by moshkito - October 14 2014 at 15:28
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2014 at 19:55
^Thanks, Moshkito!  Great review!  I'm glad you had a good time! 

I'm just guessing that there will be a DVD, but it seems very likely.  Steve Wilson of Porcupine Tree is tight with RF, and the Tree have done several DVD concerts (I was at two of 'em!), which is a new twist on rock music marketing.  

Plus, I believe that Bob views these concerts as historically significant & would want to capture the energy we saw.  Fripp, Mel Collins, Tony Levin, my god!  And THREE drummers!!  

If this is Bob's farewell tour, it was worth the hefty cost of the ticket!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 09:59

Originally posted by schizoidman schizoidman wrote:

Haven't heard anything on filming. However, on Tony Levin's website he mentions that there will be more Crimson in 2015.

I quote:
"There will be more King Crimson coming, sometime in 2015 - and you can be sure we'll all post about that as soon as things are confirmed."

LINK: http://www.papabear.com/tours/crim14/crim14_20.htm

It would be totally silly, bizarre and scary, if this is not delivered as a DVD, specially as it probably was one of their best tours ever.

They need to take this show to London, Paris and Germany. If they don't, a DVD would be an excellent alternative, but I think that KC/Fripp will regret not doing it. This is sort of like Roger re-doing The Wall. It's great any way you look at it, and in many ways, way better than the original, because now, it is seasoned like a very good old wine!

Edited by moshkito - October 21 2014 at 10:00
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 10:12

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

If this is Bob's farewell tour, it was worth the hefty cost of the ticket!

I don't think it was Bob's farewell, although it could. At the end of the show, I thought I saw a very content man standing up on the stage staring at the crowd. I think that he was surprised and will look back at this whole tour as very special indeed.

The hefty cost is not an issue. Have you been to the Metropolitan lately? It's over 200 or 300 a ticket. Bob's choice for small, congenial and friendly atmosphere is probably the best, instead of a typical rock audience ... this is for the fans that have stuck with the band the whole time.

I keep telling folks, that once in a lifetime is worth it. You're not going to get a chance to see Misha again. You're not gonna have a chance to see Nureyev ever again. You're not going to have a chance to see The Wall ever again. You're not going to see Pavarotti every again, type of thing, and if you don't jump on it, it's gone forever. These, are "frozen moments" in time in the history of the art form.

The price is not an issue. You either appreciate the art form, or its gone. My main problem with rock music fans, is that they have little, if any, appreciation for it as an art form, which of course, it is not treated as such, but it is treated as "sales" only! Which in the end, kinda tells you where the whole thing was at, anyway!

I might even like to see Fripp add Eno for 30 minutes, and Toyah for 20 (How about the Lady and the Tiger?), and Peter Hammill for 20 or 30 ... and then Cluster for 30 ... now you really got me in heaven!!!!!

www.pedrosena.com
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 12:02
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

I hope they'll announce a european tour Wink
+1
zachfive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2014 at 04:54
Originally posted by schizoidman schizoidman wrote:

"There will be more King Crimson coming, sometime in 2015 - and you can be sure we'll all post about that as soon as things are confirmed."

LINK: http://www.papabear.com/tours/crim14/crim14_20.htm

I'm totally in that picture!! Upper left (stage right) area somewhere in a sea of arms, but I am there.

A DVD would be nice, but if they tour again I will be going. Was one of the best concerts of my life.

Edited by zachfive - October 24 2014 at 04:54
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2014 at 00:31

Edited by cstack3 - November 03 2014 at 18:38
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2014 at 19:20
Nice.