Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWarchild 40 year remix

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2014 at 06:44
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I got mine.  Pricey but they did a hell of a package.  So  a side question for those that have it, if you were to take all the tracks from the two CDs that aren't redundant (Warchild II  and Sealion II) and include the orchestral bits, how would you arrange it to make one mega album?

I like the 2 versions of warchild and 2nd version of sealion. It's not uncommon to have 2 versions of a track on an album or double album. Of the 20 studio tracks I'd replace Bungle with its quad and maybe replace sealion 1 and two fingers with mime and waltz orchestral tracks
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 03:45
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Hands down the best band of 1974.
20 studio tracks plus 6 orchestral pieces. Also the quad version of the album
The 2nd album of 10 studio tracks is definitely better than the original album or 10 tracks.
Strongest tracks from the 2nd disc are Good godmother, Saturation, Glory row, Paradise steakhouse, Rainbow blues, March the mad scientist, Quartet
Strongest tracks from 1st disc are Warchild, Queen and county, Skating away, Only Solitaire
The quad of Bungle in the jungle is really good and smashes the original version imo.

Got mine yesterday. Played all of it on my new 5.1 super surround system (yay!).  This box set is simply superb. Will have to play it all again tomorrow. The previously unreleased orchestral stuff is quite uplifting.

The stand out for me is the song "Tomorrow Was Today". This track has never been released until now. I have heard a bootleg live recording of it. I find it unbelievable that it has taken 40 years for this brilliant track to actually see the light of day. A quintessential Tull song if ever there was one. Anderson really does set his standards very high if he believed this song wasn't good enough to released on either vinyl or CD up until now.

Tomorrow was today isn't bad but I love Good godmother. Tull should have released this as a double album at the very least. It would won back a huge amount of fans who were a bit disappointed by the original release

You must have different ears to me; Tomorrow Was Today is on constant play on my iPod....Good Godmother must be a grower....cos it's not doing much for me at the moment.

I also don't get this "huge disappoint" thing that you keep going on about. When it was released in 1974 it got great reviews, reached number 2 in the US (top 10 in Oz I think), all my Tull pals were in heaven at the time, I was beaming and life was brilliant. What songs are bad? Yeah sure it would have been even greater if the other tracks were on it but hey, the original 10 songs were in my opinion equal or better than anything that was released at that time.

progrockdeepcuts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 14:03

Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I got mine.  Pricey but they did a hell of a package.  So  a side question for those that have it, if you were to take all the tracks from the two CDs that aren't redundant (Warchild II  and Sealion II) and include the orchestral bits, how would you arrange it to make one mega album?

Oooh - this sounds fun!

1. The Orchestral WarChild Theme / WarChild (I think it would be cool to combine the two - have the rock band version erupt from the orchestral)

2. The Beach

3. Queen And Country                                 

4. Waltz Of The Angels

5.  Good Godmother

6. Ladies                               

7. Glory Row            

8. Pan Dance

9. Back-Door Angels            

10. Sealion                

11. Quartet    

12. Skating Away On The Thin Ice Of A New Day                        

13. Field Dance                                 

14. Rainbow Blues                

15. Tomorrow Was Today                

16. Bungle In The Jungle                                          

17. Mime Sequence

18. Saturation                   

19. March, The Mad Scientist

20. Only Solitaire                                          

21. Paradise Steakhouse       

22. The Third Hoorah                                   

23. Two Fingers

"The Beach" is so early on, because it was meant to be the opening scene of the film, so having the orchestral version segue into the rock band version of the title track / theme would be a cool way of setting the tone for a rock band / orchestral hybrid album. I also thought it would be fun to sprinkle the orchestral pieces throughout as many of them reference "The Third Hoorah" which is meant to be some kind of finale. The bit of continuity would be fun, I think. I elected to include the rock band version of "The Third Hoorah" only, because it seems to contain the lyrics that are integral to the concept of the album and needs to come near the end; a proper climax.

I also put "Quartet" at the split between sides 1 and 2 of the original album to make a sort of interlude. I think it would be fun to have it there, a sort of rock / classical hybrid that I think should come in the middle of the program. I also thought it would be cool to put the two acoustic pieces together ("Solitaire" and "March the Mad Scientist"), because this seems such a Tull thing to do; they often group the simple, stripped back acoustic pieces together such as on side 1 of Aqualung.  Finally, I felt the album ended best on "Two Fingers" - a nice coda to finish the ultimate climax that is "The Third Hoorah", just like the original albums.

Discuss!

Edited by progrockdeepcuts - December 14 2014 at 14:07

Listen to older shows here: mixcloud.com/progrockdeepcuts/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12